SIM Card for Foreigners?

javapop

Feb 25, 2015
I was down 2 weeks ago, and told only DR residents could purchase SIMs. They could have up to 5 numbers. Was I told wrong?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't think you need to be a resident, but you will need to show your passport. All cell #'s are now subject to stricter identification of the user rules.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I was down 2 weeks ago, and told only DR residents could purchase SIMs. They could have up to 5 numbers. Was I told wrong?

1.- If you have Passport you can get a prepaid service without any kind of problems.

2.- The rule of 5 numbers is applyed to have same service in 5 lines, for example when you have 5 prepaid lines in the same company they block you to adquire a 6th number but if you want in adition to this 5 prepaid numbers you can get another 5 postpaid numbers.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Got an Orange sim card earlier this month. handed over my pasasport and unlocked phoone, and 30 min later, done.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
For 200 pesos or less, you can buy an Orange Sim, as others have said you just need a passport....Downside is after 90 days of non use, the number is cancelled and you need to do the process over and get a new number (not a big deal).

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
For 200 pesos or less, you can buy an Orange Sim, as others have said you just need a passport....Downside is after 90 days of non use, the number is cancelled and you need to do the process over and get a new number (not a big deal).

Is that expiry date only for Orange current rules... I just got Claro and it expires after 60 days now... used to be 6 months :-(

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006

Is that expiry date only for Orange current rules... I just got Claro 3 weeks ago and it expires after 60 days now... used to be 6 months :-(

Jan 17, 2009
I don't believe you can keep the number for next year.
was away for four months and they kept the number but had to pay a reinstate fee. I think after a while without adding money, they'll just cancel it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Need to look into the rules about SIM cards.....
I have a claro SIM card that was laying around since july last year. Have visitors over from europe. Popped in their phone, 150 pesos phone card......and it works......

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't remember having to show my passport with Claro. A Canadian that comes down to Dominicus every year for two months told me that she has had the same number for years but I'll check with her if anything changed.

I brought down an unlocked Blackberry, they removed my rogers chip and put in a claro. I assume I can put my rogers chip back when I return home.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
All you need is a passport as stated for prepaid plans. The time will expire dependent on amount purchased. I usually have time left on my phones when I go home but have been successful in retaining the same number for the past 4 years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
after a period, the minutes 'retire'... they return upon reactivation

the number stays with the SIM card.... just renew

if you're the anal type... recharge regularly w/ DING or some other 'topper upper' to preserve your status