US Citizenship Part Deuce..I didn't have a chance to reply LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2012
Moderators, please allow me to post this since I did not get a chance to reply to the replies (redundance), anyways, I think there are some missunderstanding:

1. Natural Borns can have multiple citizenships by GAINING it through marriage, family origin, etc - that wasn't argued by me at all. Always knew this and its perfectly legal.

2. To the opposite, American citizens cannot APPLY for dual citizenship.

AE, you mentioned you are entitled to Italian citizenship gained and due because of your family roots to Italy and because Italy may allow dual citizenship - that is legal and doable, however, what you cannot do as American citizen is apply for citizenship of a country you have no family (spouse, mother, etc) from.

Rivas, mentioned the same thing and the above apply as well.

Dont' want to beat this horse to death, just a fair shoot to answer. Thanks :)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It would be good to have a definitive statement from Guzman Ariza. I don't think what you say is completely accurate.

Below is information from two sources (U.S Department of State and DR1). I hope Guzman Ariza weighs in.

From U.S. Department of State:

Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. nationality. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose nationality.

Information on losing foreign nationality can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. nationality in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad

From DR1:

For those who are not offspring of Dominicans or married to one, Law 1683 (dated 1948) and its modifications establishes that a person is eligible to obtain Dominican nationality after having resided in the country for at least six months after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card), having resided continually in the country for at least two years, having resided continually in the country for at least six months and having formed a business or purchased real estate, or having served in the Dominican Armed Forces. Also, a person can be granted citizenship if they’ve obtained a special concession from the President, which may be granted for having served the DR with merit.

Both the US and the Dominican Republic recognize dual citizenship. US jurisprudence establishes that US citizenship is only lost if the citizen expressly renounces his US citizenship. A Dominican who is also an American may vote in the US without fear of losing his/her Dominican citizenship.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
We all appreciate your input, bottom line you may hold both passports and be native born American with NO Dominican family roots:

dead-horse.gif

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Moderators, please allow me to post this since I did not get a chance to reply to the replies (redundance), anyways, I think there are some missunderstanding:

1. Natural Borns can have multiple citizenships by GAINING it through marriage, family origin, etc - that wasn't argued by me at all. Always knew this and its perfectly legal.

AE, you mentioned you are entitled to Italian citizenship gained and due because of your family roots to Italy and because Italy may allow dual citizenship - that is legal and doable, however, what you cannot do as American citizen is apply for citizenship of a country you have no family (spouse, mother, etc) from.

You have beat the horse to death and you are wrong on top of that. Americans are people with American citizenship. They can, do, and are accepted as citizens in many countries around the world. The American government is aware that these Americans now are dual citizens ( American and whatever other country that accepted them). They allow it- i.e they do not take their American citizenship away, in fact they force them to file American tax returns even though these new dual citizens are living in another country. As I have said, I know many American families that moved to Canada for various reasons and became Canadians and retained their American citizenship. They had no Canadian family.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Dead horse again. Chrisgy has it right in the closed thread. Citing the two cases. This is why the DR1 information says "U.S. jurisprudence establishes that US citizenship is only lost if the citizen expressly renounces his US citizenship." I guess it would take a U.S. lawyer to say more...

Jan 9, 2004

New thread...new narrative.

You said in posts #4 and #8 dual citizenship was not possible;

"An natural born American can not just apply and change citizenship to dual. If he/she does, he'll lose the American citizenhip due to conflicts of interest."

You were incorrect then.....and your new narrative that dual citizenship can only be gained by marriage, family origin, etc., is also incorrect.

You got multiple corroborating individuals who have either done it or know people who have.....and you still insist that what they did...is not possible.

This thread will likely meet the same fate as the other.....so you probably should quit while you think you are ahead.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wishing you Well was wrong before are still wrong about dual USA citizenship

Wishing you Well. You really need to go to this link, read it, and stop posting incorrect information:

Advice about Possible Loss of U.S. Nationality and Dual Nationality

Here is the important information from that UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT web site on the very topic where you insist you are right and you are wrong:

Disposition of Cases when Administrative Premise is Applicable

In light of the administrative premise discussed above, a person who:

is naturalized in a foreign country;
takes a routine oath of allegiance to a foreign state;
serves in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or
accepts non-policy level employment with a foreign government,

and in so doing wishes to retain U.S. nationality need not submit prior to the commission of a potentially expatriating act a statement or evidence of his or her intent to retain U.S. nationality since such an intent will be presumed.

When, as the result of an individual's inquiry or an individual's application for registration or a passport it comes to the attention of a U.S. consular officer that a U.S. national has performed an act made potentially expatriating by INA Sections 349(a)(1), 349(a)(2), 349(a)(3) or 349(a)(4) as described above, the consular officer will simply ask the applicant if he/she intended to relinquish U.S. nationality when performing the act. If the answer is no, the consular officer will certify that it was not the person's intent to relinquish U.S. nationality and, consequently, find that the person has retained U.S. nationality.

Do you get it yet?

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we all know too many people who hold multiple passports to even consider the fact that doing so is impossible or even illegal.

it just ain't so.

One rule stands for a US citizen that I am aware of...
you must present your US passport upon entry into the US....

As for having a US passport canceled , just try renouncing your US citizenship
My friends tell me its quite a battle..... the gov't resists your effort at every turn.

So, all the posting here aside, the US gov't actually wants you to stay.... and are not anxious to help you out the proverbial door.

My US/Cdn friends who are renouncing can tell you horror stories about the difficulty of doing so.
not for the weak spirit........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WW is correct about renouncing. This link is just the start of the nightmare for someone who wants to renounce US citizenship. The USA wants every cent in taxes they can get from you. If getting dual citizenship were the answer and bang you were expatriated, then the thousands of people becoming expatriated completely from the US would find the job much easier and far less costly.

Renunciation of U.S. Nationality

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just to set the record straight. I have had dual citizenship (DR and US) for well over 10 years. I travel all the time to the US
using my US passport and return to the DR using my DR passport.

Even showed a Customs agent in Miami my DR Passport when he asked where I lived. The OP is a MORON.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The "exit" taxes imposed in the US and Canada for renouncers <sic> is punitive. Still many do it each year. Usually these people have more money than they can count and the taxes are less than the fuel for their personal jet for the year. The numbers seem to be increasing year over year. I don't know if this is an economic, political or social statement, but for some, it's a priority. A DR passport for the vast majority of these people is not even on their radar.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the irony of renouncing and leaving to reduce ro avoid taxes is that the rich will still be rich with or without taxes.

the guy who really benefits from a 'low to no' tax zone is a far poorer individual.

Imagine a retirement income of $100,000 or less being taxed vs untaxed..... a huge boost to that person's lifestyle
Now consider a $10,000,000 a year income as taxed or untaxed..... life won't change as much there for that person.

Exiting the country is like death.... your assets are crystallized , taxes calculated, you pay and leave
Never to be taxed again..

considering most family's largest asset is their residence (and in Canada that gain is tax free), the tax hit is not that severe.
Americans, not so much..... bigger taxes on exit

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
WW is correct about renouncing. This link is just the start of the nightmare for someone who wants to renounce US citizenship. The USA wants every cent in taxes they can get from you. If getting dual citizenship were the answer and bang you were expatriated, then the thousands of people becoming expatriated completely from the US would find the job much easier and far less costly.

Renunciation of U.S. Nationality

Also, the U.S. government recently raised the fee for renunciation of U.S. citizenship (yes, you actually have to pay a fee to renounce your U.S. citizenship). They raised it from $450 to $2,350. The U.S. does not like its citizens renouncing their U.S. citizenship.

U.S. Hikes Fee to Renounce U.S. Citizenship by 422%

Status
Not open for further replies.