Turn a black car into a white one?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am kinda fed up with the black color of my car. You come out of the car wash and 50 meters down the road it is dirty again. :(

I am thinking to have it painted white.

My car is in payments and the matricula says "black" of course.

Is this even possible? Do I have to make changes in the matricula and where I would have that done?

And if I can do it how much would it approx. be (paint job and paperwork)?

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
1. Yes, it's possible, one of my cars was green and now it's white.
2. If the reason is that you come out of the car wash and 50 meters down the road it is dirty again, white is not the best choice. Pewter metallic is the best.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had silver metallic, then white and now a black car. i turn the blind eye on dirt. life's bad enough without sweating over dust.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Actually, I've always noticed white cars show dirt, clay and mud much better. Think about how civilian government vehicles almost always look dirty.

I'd shoot for grey or beige, if you're trying to defend against dust and dirt, and stay away from the color extremes.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The extremes show dirt very readily, especially in a nation with as much sand available. Grey, green, blue, or maroon will help, and won't be as difficult to paint over black as well. White will probably take more coats than you want to consider.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
White will probably take more coats than you want to consider.

i thought that old paint get completely stripped/sanded off? i have seen few cars prepped for a total paint job and they were this beige-bluish pale ass shade, matted. i couldn't even tell what was the original colour.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Lighter colors are better for not showing dust and dirt. If you do repaint it don't forget to have them spray the door jambs, inside the hood, underside of hood and trunk lid.
lt costs more but looks a lot better. I have done color changes in the past and knowing what I know now I would have just traded it in and bought the color I wanted.

Feb 7, 2007
White cars get dirty all the same, it is just not as noticeable. :p

My car is neither white nor black ... but am I missing something here?
Don't black cars seem less dirty than white cars, with the same amount of dirt on?

After all, if you stain a black shirt with coffee it's not as noticeable as on a white shirt.

???

Feb 7, 2007
I have done color changes in the past and knowing what I know now I would have just traded it in and bought the color I wanted.

I was doing complete paint&scratch overhaul of my car, which is gold color.
Instead of using the same color, I wanted to paint it into dark metallic blue. I was talked off it by the owner of the paint house, my client. He said a huge PITA he did it once and he would rather sell the car in question than do a color change again.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The most important thing is safety. White better than black, glow in the dark best.

[video=youtube;nKj2sEpg1xg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKj2sEpg1xg[/video]

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The most important thing is safety. White better than black, glow in the dark best.

[video=youtube;nKj2sEpg1xg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKj2sEpg1xg[/video]

I've seen that, yep. But sometimes you want to go unnoticed, impossible with that car... :)

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
[video=youtube;PtjdHaMeiiQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjdHaMeiiQ[/video]

I know a guy that can paint it.