Tobacco Prices????

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Awhile ago, one of our [poor] Dominican neighbors told Mr. AE he wanted to grow tobacco. We brought down seeds last year for him. Now he has three huge sacks of tobacco leaves, and doesn't know what to do with them.

Mr. AE has connected him with a guy who makes cigars, and he wants not only those three sacks, but also as much as he can grow for him [we're letting the guy use the back 4 tareas of our property too].

The buyer is coming next Wednesday - the problem is none of us here know anything about the going price for the tobacco leaves. The buyer didn't ask for a price, but he certainly knows what he usually pays. The seller can use every cent he can get, he's a quiet, honest guy, and we don't want to see him ripped off, but we're all clueless. Seller says "whatever he gives me is more than I have with the sacks sitting here", which sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

May 12, 2005
Awhile ago, one of our [poor] Dominican neighbors told Mr. AE he wanted to grow tobacco. We brought down seeds last year for him. Now he has three huge sacks of tobacco leaves, and doesn't know what to do with them.

Mr. AE has connected him with a guy who makes cigars, and he wants not only those three sacks, but also as much as he can grow for him [we're letting the guy use the back 4 tareas of our property too].

The buyer is coming next Wednesday - the problem is none of us here know anything about the going price for the tobacco leaves. The buyer didn't ask for a price, but he certainly knows what he usually pays. The seller can use every cent he can get, he's a quiet, honest guy, and we don't want to see him ripped off, but we're all clueless. Seller says "whatever he gives me is more than I have with the sacks sitting here", which sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe a PM to Hillbilly and you can get some info.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i can find is this old article: Tabaco dominicano busca altos niveles de calidad - listindiario.com
Luis Alberto Reyes Santos, quien lleva m?s de 18 a?os como t?cnico del sector, explica que el costo de producci?n de una tarea de tabaco de los tipos Olor y Piloto (de alta calidad) ronda por los RD$7 mil, y que de cada tarea se obtienen aproximadamente dos quintales.
Las empresas dedicadas a fabricar y exportar cigarros y subproductos tabacaleros pagan al campesino RD$4 mil por cada quintal, para que ?ste recupere la inversi?n y obtenga una ganancia de “subsistencia”.

i am sure the price depends on the type and quality of the leaf. do you know what type is he growing?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
all i can find is this old article: Tabaco dominicano busca altos niveles de calidad - listindiario.com
Luis Alberto Reyes Santos, quien lleva m?s de 18 a?os como t?cnico del sector, explica que el costo de producci?n de una tarea de tabaco de los tipos Olor y Piloto (de alta calidad) ronda por los RD$7 mil, y que de cada tarea se obtienen aproximadamente dos quintales.
Las empresas dedicadas a fabricar y exportar cigarros y subproductos tabacaleros pagan al campesino RD$4 mil por cada quintal, para que ?ste recupere la inversi?n y obtenga una ganancia de “subsistencia”.

i am sure the price depends on the type and quality of the leaf. do you know what type is he growing?

Thanks for that link. No clue what type he's growing - but that article did help with a ballpark price for him. Mr. AE is going to go over and weigh the sacks for him.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
There is a broad range of tobacco types. The crop is usually sold under contract and can fetch between $1.45-$2 /lb. for cured leaf in most U.S. exchanges. If the grower is selling the raw cut leaf they should expect half of that since success with the process of curing weighs heavily on the value of the crop. He won't get rich but it is a good hobby and learning experience.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks for that link. No clue what type he's growing - but that article did help with a ballpark price for him. Mr. AE is going to go over and weigh the sacks for him.

no problemo. does the guy know what his costs were at all? i understand that he ploughs your earth, so to speak but how much was water? abono? other costs? i'm ignorant as far as campo business goes but i know it costs money to raise crop.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, there's a method for processing the leaves. They have to be hung to dry out, then stacked a certain way for a period of time, then restacked, all so the sap or whatever you want to call it can meld together.

Did your guy do all of that, or did he just pick the leaves and throw them in sacks?

Hillbilly is your guy.. he knows the process inside and out.

Oh boy. No clue, will have to find out. I do know he's been growing tobacco off and on for many years, so I HOPE he knows what he's doing.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
There is a broad range of tobacco types. The crop is usually sold under contract and can fetch between $1.45-$2 /lb. for cured leaf in most U.S. exchanges. If the grower is selling the raw cut leaf they should expect half of that since success with the process of curing weighs heavily on the value of the crop. He won't get rich but it is a good hobby and learning experience.
Can anyone direct me to a place where I can buy tobacco seeds for cigs near Santiago pop or imbert?
Tks

benja123

Jan 20, 2012
We are flying into SDQ, renting a car and going for a week to Las Galeras and then 6 nights in Bayahibe. We usually bring our own cigars with us on vacation but our favorites are MADE in the DR.

So far all the info I have seen doing searches on the forums indicate its actually cheaper to buy our cigars here in the states from our usual online sources. I did have one person tell me that Jumbo sells cigars by the box and I wondered if anyone could tell me if they sell General, Fuente or Romeo y Julieta brands? If they do, how do the prices compare to online in the USA? And from SDQ to LG where is the easiest place to pick some up?

Thanks in advance...just trying to figure if we have to check our bags (with our cigars) or can go with carryons and buy when we get there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i bought individually packed R&J when i went home in december. over 500 pesos each.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I'm not a cigarfan, but the prices of the DECENT ones start from 50 pesos/ each.

We are flying into SDQ, renting a car and going for a week to Las Galeras and then 6 nights in Bayahibe. We usually bring our own cigars with us on vacation but our favorites are MADE in the DR.

So far all the info I have seen doing searches on the forums indicate its actually cheaper to buy our cigars here in the states from our usual online sources. I did have one person tell me that Jumbo sells cigars by the box and I wondered if anyone could tell me if they sell General, Fuente or Romeo y Julieta brands? If they do, how do the prices compare to online in the USA? And from SDQ to LG where is the easiest place to pick some up?

Thanks in advance...just trying to figure if we have to check our bags (with our cigars) or can go with carryons and buy when we get there.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

The cheapest prices for Dominican cigars are found in the online sellers out of Florida. This is because Florida has no tax on tobacco products. In the DR, the tobacco is imported from the manufacturing in the zona franca and thus subject to taxes. This makes the cigars a lot more expensive.

benja123

Jan 20, 2012
Thanks JDJones, DV8, robbiee and MerengueDutchie for your helpful posts.
Looks like we will be dragging the boxes with us. Certainly willing to try the cheaper local sticks but having the usual backups will be as necessary for my smoking partner as finding a cold Presidente.
I didn't do the introduction as a newbie (not sure if my skin is thick enough) but have been gleaning tons of useful info here on the DR1 forum and appreciate all the input.
Long ways off till our first visit but even Houston has had a horribly cold (it's relative!) winter. So ready for warm sun and no work.
Thanks again to all!
C

benja123

Jan 20, 2012
i bought individually packed R&J when i went home in december. over 500 pesos each.

Ouch! $10usd per stick is painful! Just got a box of 25 Romeo y Juliet Reserve Real Toros for 110.00 at a JR Cigar online auction. Will slowly fill the humidor when we find the deals and check the bags on the way to SDQ. At least we can travel light on the way home!
Thanks for the info...major planning done. Vacation without cigars is not an option!