Foreign aid in Haiti making a difference

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It can be easy to be cynical about foreign aid in Haiti, but a deeper look reveals that Haiti has made real progress in recent years. President Michel Martelly?s inauguration of a world-class water diversion dam just outside Port-au-Prince this month is an example of the kind of progress that the American taxpayer makes possible and yet is seldom aware of.

Read more here: Foreign aid in Haiti making a difference | Miami Herald Miami Herald

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"is an example of the kind of progress that the American taxpayer makes possible and yet is seldom aware of."

I am aware of it. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about how much of my hard earned taxed dollar is given
away to countries where corruption is so rampant.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
"is an example of the kind of progress that the American taxpayer makes possible and yet is seldom aware of."

I am aware of it. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about how much of my hard earned taxed dollar is given
away to countries where corruption is so rampant.

You appear to be mad at the wrong People. Haiti is nowhere near the top of the list of government aid from USAID. The vast majority of financial aid to Haiti comes from private donations.

Here is the top of the list that makes you "sick to your stomach":

1. Israel: $3 billion

2. Afghanistan: $2 billion

3. Egypt: $1.5 billion

4. Pakistan: $1.1 billion

5. Nigeria: $692 million

6. Jordan: $670 million

7. Iraq: $573 million

8. Kenya: $563 million

9. Tanzania: $552 million

10. Uganda: $456 million

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
You appear to be mad at the wrong People. Haiti is nowhere near the top of the list of government aid from USAID. The vast majority of financial aid to Haiti comes from private donations.

Thanks greydread, now I am also sick to my stomach. Hahah

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Why in the world is so much aid given to Israel? Are they not one of the more affluent countries in that region?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Why in the world is so much aid given to Israel? Are they not one of the more affluent countries in that region?

It's not like money, money that they can spend on lochs and bagel. It's war machine money for credit to our defense contractors to buy the latest whiz bang killer toys and communications gear. That stuff is crazy expensive.

Haiti just gets rice and powdered milk and other surplus food that the government buys from agro-biz to regulate the commodity prices. It's stuff that would have gone bad in the silos but we give it away and value it at (inflated) market prices so we can tell the world what great humanitarians we are and so that some people can have useless BS to complain about, like they did something or somebody did something to them.

The U.S. took away Haiti's functioning democracy, a few bags of food can never replace that.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

You must not understand what I said. I pay taxes. I work hard for my money. I do not like the fact the American government gives so much of my money to lazy *ss corrupt governments in other countries. And yes, Haiti is one of those countries. The vast majority of other countries donating money have nothing to do with my statement above. Haiti needs to start looking inward and stop looking out to the rest of the world for solutions.

What are you smoking greydread?
I said nothing about a list of countries/ governments, who I've never paid a dime in taxes too, making me sick to my stomach so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Oops, just caught your point greydread.
OH BOY, I'm gonna take some lumps this one.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's not like money, money that they can spend on lochs and bagel. It's war machine money for credit to our defense contractors to buy the latest whiz bang killer toys and communications gear. That stuff is crazy expensive.

Haiti just gets rice and powdered milk and other surplus food that the government buys from agro-biz to regulate the commodity prices. It's stuff that would have gone bad in the silos but we give it away and value it at (inflated) market prices so we can tell the world what great humanitarians we are and so that some people can have useless BS to complain about, like they did something or somebody did something to them.

The U.S. took away Haiti's functioning democracy, a few bags of food can never replace that.

a few bags of rice would help, since they destroyed their rice growing industry.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
a few bags of rice would help, since they destroyed their rice growing industry.

I hate that the Haiti threads are split. Haiti agreed to pay reparations to France under the agreement that trade would be normalized and they would be accepted as equal trading partners. It was a reasonable investment into future business. Haiti was betrayed by the USA and not just France, but all of Western Europe which was busy pursuing colonial ventures in Africa and Asia.

It was crucial that Haiti be made to fail. If they had succeeded in obtaining freedom, equality and economic independence all the colonial dominoes would have fallen, one by one until there was nothing left. Haiti's continuing failure is a strong message to the rest of the developing world to mind their place or this is your fate.

The West needs Haiti to fail and if that failure requires the sacrifice of neighboring D.R. it is a small price, indeed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hate that the Haiti threads are split. Haiti agreed to pay reparations to France under the agreement that trade would be normalized and they would be accepted as equal trading partners. It was a reasonable investment into future business. Haiti was betrayed by the USA and not just France, but all of Western Europe which was busy pursuing colonial ventures in Africa and Asia.

It was crucial that Haiti be made to fail. If they had succeeded in obtaining freedom, equality and economic independence all the colonial dominoes would have fallen, one by one until there was nothing left. Haiti's continuing failure is a strong message to the rest of the developing world to mind their place or this is your fate.

The West needs Haiti to fail and if that failure requires the sacrifice of neighboring D.R. it is a small price, indeed.

being the world?s first independent black republic has been a heavy cross to bear.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
being the world?s first independent black republic has been a heavy cross to bear.

For that crime, they were sentenced to eternal damnation.

Nobody bites the Master's hand and gets away with it. Those People had the nerve to think they were Human.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Divide and conquer, after you lift the occupation, then subjugate with economic servitude via corporations. Corporations another way to say "coalition of plantations." Pay off a dictator and keep them in power, while the plundering of the land and population continues.

Fast forward today, there maybe a valid excused arguing for Haitians on the island not able to improve themselves with a long term plan. I don't see that argument working for those Haitians living abroad and making average wages and above in their host countries.

There is blame in the past and in the present. The blame of the future is on everyone shoulders today.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I've known several Haitian-Americans and Haitian-Canadians and I've never heard one of them talk of going back there to live.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

The reasons are many and with very little effort you could find out the reasons. Israel acts as a intelligence agency , a weapons brokers, weapons tester, and does many others things for the US government in return for $$$$

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The reasons are many and with very little effort you could find out the reasons. Israel acts as a intelligence agency , a weapons brokers, weapons tester, and does many others things for the US government in return for $$$$

Yeah, I understand now it is more military aid than humanitarian aid. Have to keep tab on your interested in the middle east somehow.