New fiber optic speeds!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Just went to Claro in Bella Vista Mall. We have had Fibre for a while and had the 20 meg down, 1 meg up plan. Just ordered 100 meg down and 10 meg up plan. Cost? About 1500 pesos less than I was paying! 5x increase in DL and 10X in UL for less money? sign me the hell up. Wonder if I can get even more?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
but what sectors of the DN have fiber optics? I live in ZC and would love to have higher download speeds but don't know if this is avail in all areas?? anyone?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
are you guys sure about those price ? i

how can you ask that?
those prices are shown online on the Claro Webpage.
jump there and check out the up to date actual prices.
here at my place the higher speeds are sorrily not available and til now not planned to be brought into town.
i would have loved to take a higher speed connection, and for even less money than the actual connections.

Mike

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i have the 40mg download and 5mb upload speed. in actuality, I get 45mb download and 6mb upload. the speed is real and netflex comes in HD. I am a happy camper.
AZB

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
AZB, JD:

What parts of town you guys live? My move comes closer and I want to move to an area w/ fiber optic...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
And people doubted me when I said here on DR1 that there was going to be fiber optic cable service in the DR...

What you don't know is that the infrastructure being installed for the service is next generation, which means that the speeds being offered are on the low scale of the real speeds they are built for. And that's for residential service!
The infrastructure being installed for the fiber in the DR can offer 1000 Mbps service without any problems on congestion.

Prices will drop again for the real broadband fiber service when the second fiber provider finally connects the new trunk it's installing.

Expect to see that jump across to TV over the air on 4K UHDTV and HD Radio.

Something that will also be possible soon along with the new 911 system is that emergency broadcasting over digital and over the air networks will be put into service.

So I hear the second provider will be offering fiber based 100 and up Mbps service from the start with a discounted program based on yearly contracts.

The good news is that the fiber optic cable has no much value for metal thieves.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike, it sorrily is still very few areas where fiber optic connections are available.
here on the east they cover maybe 5% of their customers, lol.
in the capital city it usre is more clients to reach, but for the near future it is not something that will be for a significant %%% of the internet population, sorrily, i would like to use that service here, too, right away, but nothing of that rumble in the jungle for some more years to go.
jump on the claro website, they have a page which shows by location/address names the locations where fiber optic is already available, so you may decide by the claro page where you will move to.

Mike

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Mike, it sorrily is still very few areas where fiber optic connections are available.
in the capital city it usre is more clients to reach, but for the near future it is not something that will be for a significant %%% of the internet population, sorrily, i would like to use that service here, too, right away, but nothing of that rumble in the jungle for some more years to go.
jump on the claro website, they have a page which shows by location/address names the locations where fiber optic is already available, so you may decide by the claro page where you will move to.

Mike

I looked at that page a few days ago. I saw that Cocotal and White Sands are on the list where they say fiber optic speed is available. Very interesting. A couple other places nearby too. But you wont know for sure until you ask for the service : )

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

Mike

I checked it and 2 of the 3 places I have in mind they list as covered! :)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I looked at that page a few days ago. I saw that Cocotal and White Sands are on the list where they say fiber optic speed is available. Very interesting. A couple other places nearby too. But you wont know for sure until you ask for the service : )

at white sands (app in La CareyII there) fiberoptic is available and working fine since december 4th 2014.
yes, Cocotal is also on the list plus one more residency.
but counted together they do not count for any significant number of the housings in the Punta Cana area.
very very moost do not have access to mit/are not connected.
that hopefully will change in the future, but according tom the info i got from a person of Claro management here just 2 weeks ago, that will take a longer while, as they have no special plans to push anything much further in the sector here on the east.
and right, if for example you have a old connection since years, nobody of those stupids would tell you that you can get connected to higher speeds and more TV channels for less money per month. we found out about that at white sands only due a move from one part to the other, had to cancel one contract and do a new one next door, and the person at the conter said "but now you can have ...". Fuick, we could have had the better service for a lower fee since long, just nobody knew about it and claro will not tell about any savings on superior services to their decades long permanent customers, they tell just to the new ones who never paid a dime to their company. but here you do not really have choices to choose between different companies, not for the same bad fu.. services.

Mike

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Sounds great but 4k TV in DR? I can do better quality production in my apt than 95% of stations in DR. Only a few years back I visited a govt run station and their
channel looked like crap. Their station bug was done with a crappy luma key. Garbage in, Garbage out. No need to watch it in 4k. Wathcing netflix in 4k makes sense if you have a TV that is over 70" or I highly doubt most would notice a difference.
4k is actually 16 times the bandwith.

And people doubted me when I said here on DR1 that there was going to be fiber optic cable service in the DR...

What you don't know is that the infrastructure being installed for the service is next generation, which means that the speeds being offered are on the low scale of the real speeds they are built for. And that's for residential service!
The infrastructure being installed for the fiber in the DR can offer 1000 Mbps service without any problems on congestion.

Prices will drop again for the real broadband fiber service when the second fiber provider finally connects the new trunk it's installing.

Expect to see that jump across to TV over the air on 4K UHDTV and HD Radio.

Something that will also be possible soon along with the new 911 system is that emergency broadcasting over digital and over the air networks will be put into service.

So I hear the second provider will be offering fiber based 100 and up Mbps service from the start with a discounted program based on yearly contracts.

The good news is that the fiber optic cable has no much value for metal thieves.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Tricom made Claro to drop the prices for fiber optic, for those who has old plans they have to call Claro and tell that you want update your plan for the new ones. Im waitting they come now also new prices for mobile data plans too and I hope claro also drop the prices too.

Feb 7, 2007
Claro has never dropped prices on its own. It was always Tricom that pushed Calro to react. Every time Calro doubled the speed for the same price, it was because Tricom had done so already. Had it not been for Tricom, we would still be paying 3000 pesos per month + taxes for a 512 kbps connection with Claro.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Claro fiber is available in my neighborhood, the advertised speeds are much better than currently on offer with the cable co. and for a much better price so why not. I stopped in to Claro in POP yesterday and tried for the second time to convince them that I am an ok gringo who will not skip out on the bills. Of course they wanted bank statements which I didn't have but I sent those this morning by email and hopefully by the end of summer I'll have a positive result. :)

As long as the service is reliable this should work out. Even if the higher speeds are not quite as fast as advertised, as long as the service is available and usable, this appears to be a better option for those lucky enough to be able to make use of the fiber connection.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Can some one tell me when (or if) the fiber optic cable is going to be available in Sosua?