The ins and outs of diversity in the dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
domin.jpg

In an attempt to debunk the stereotypes on what exactly a ?Dominican looks like,? Twitter user UsDominicans809 posted a photo of a group of beautiful women (er, possibly models?) who are all super diverse in physical identity along with a sassy tweet.

?They're all dominican; so next time somebody says "you don't look dominican" tell that dumbass, we're all unique,? as written by user UsDominicans809.

This comment accurately encompasses the identity struggle Latinos in the U.S. go through day in and day out which is why pieces like ?Things You Shouldn?t Say To Latinos,? or Afro-Latinos and the often overlooked pale Latinas do so well. They reflect all the misconceptions that go with the Latino identity.

First, Latinos are not a race, it?s an ethnicity; but you knew that already. Latin America's diverse racial demographics are the result of a mixed-race background from European, African and indigenous cultures.

But if you didn?t already know? race in the Dominican Republic is way more complicated than in the United States.

Here, you either fall under a handful of categories: Asian, Black, White, India, and so forth but, according to Public Radio International, Dominicans use an array of words to self-identify their degree of ?blackness?, for lack of a better term, like: moreno, trigueno, and blanco-oscuro.

Which is odd because ?more than 90 percent of Dominicans possess some degree of African descent -- and that the very first rebellion of black slaves occurred here in 1522,? according to The Root. But, in the their federal census, most recently, 82 percent designated their race as ?indio?, while only 4.13 percent designate themselves as black.

Then again, who would identify with their African-descent in a country that reveres the very man who colonized it? Yes, the Dominican Republic is filled with Christopher Columbus statues and tributes everywhere but I dare you to find the same amount monuments or statues in Santo Domingo in honor of their African ancestors.

Nope. Nada, right? Which brings us back to the photo that UsDominicans posted.

The white population in the Dominican Republic isn?t as prominent as blacks but they still exist. In facts, whites are one of the four ethnicities in country which are descendants from French and Spanish settlers and others from Germans, Hungarians or Americans.

This attitude matters even more so because Dominicans are one of the major immigrant groups from Latin America to the United States. That?s about 1.5 million and counting. And, of all the Latino immigrant groups, Dominicans are the most likely to identify with country of origin. Now if that doesn?t spell out pride I don?t know what does.

How we self-identify is a huge part of how we see ourselves in society but sometimes how others see us and how they communicate that can leave an even deeper imprint on your psyche.

So, next time someone makes an ignorant remark on your identity know that you have one of two choices: calling them a ?dumbass? or using this opportunity as a teaching moment. It?s totally your call.

I prefer the latter but that?s only because these comments have worn me down so much over the years that I?ve reached a whole new level of patience.

Source:

Diversity in the Dominican Republic

May 29, 2006
Odd how there were no very dark skinned Dominicans in the photo.. Three "look" Dominican, the rest of the color pallet isn't seen in more than maybe 2% of Dominican population~ less in the countryside.

Can someone break down the eight or nine common terms used to describe someone's skin tone and hair?

For example, "Morena" to my understanding means long straight (very)black hair and somewhat European features, but skin tone can be anything. "Indio" is darker than "Morena?"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
funny how you never see a picture of dominican "diversity" with more black in it.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Who really cares what this twitter user thinks or says, he/she sounds like another American born Dominican with unwarranted Dominican pride.

" Follow

UsDominicans
‏@UsDominicans809
I would love some platano frito with salami right now"

BhhFlbfCMAAQzIp.jpg:large

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Odd how there were no very dark skinned Dominicans in the photo.. Three "look" Dominican, the rest of the color pallet isn't seen in more than maybe 2% of Dominican population~ less in the countryside.

Can someone break down the eight or nine common terms used to describe someone's skin tone and hair?

For example, "Morena" to my understanding means long straight (very)black hair and somewhat European features, but skin tone can be anything. "Indio" is darker than "Morena?"

there are nine girls in the picture. three remind me of the girls i see in my everyday travels. the rest remind me of girls i might see in the south of Spain.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't see the point of this thread.

Tacky picture of dominican models to show that dominicans come in all color* ?

*I think most DR1er know that by now

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

actually, i think it was to show that most Dominicans are light skinned, with European features , and long flowing locks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i think it's to show that dominicans come mostly in white shades. i googled images of "dominican women" to post here but most photos that popped up must be coming from dominican cupid and such as it's all ass and titties. seems like dominicans are only seen as merchandise. yikies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
actually, i think it was to show that most Dominicans are light skinned, with European features , and long flowing locks.

No one believes that gorgon. There ARE a lot of white Dominicans though, more than most think, especially away from the coastlines. If someone lives in a place like we do, where the Dominicans are as black as Haitians, they would have a different perspective.

People [in the US] tell my kids all the time that they can't be Dominican because they aren't black, and it gets old. Both of them were born with dark hair - compliments of ME - their father was a blonde child and several of their 100% Dominican cousins are natural blondes.

PS: Reminder to keep this thread about the diversity of Dominicans, if it gets too racial it won't be open too long.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Could it be that "Pee Man" has an AGENDA???????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

In WHICH, ."Casa de Cita" was that photo taken?????????
I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There ARE a lot of white Dominicans though, more than most think, especially away from the coastlines. If someone lives in a place like we do, where the Dominicans are as black as Haitians, they would have a different perspective.

there you are. yet not one "as black as haitian" girl on pichi's photo. diversity should be more diverse, don't you think?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there you are. yet not one "as black as haitian" girl on pichi's photo. diversity should be more diverse, don't you think?

when i click google images for Dominican women, i don?t see too many of PICHARDO?S girls.

just sayin.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
People [in the US] tell my kids all the time that they can't be Dominican because they aren't black, and it gets old. Both of them were born with dark hair - compliments of ME - their father was a blonde child and several of their 100% Dominican cousins are natural blondes.

People don't have an image of a blond Italian or Spaniard (I know, I know there are some), so let alone Dominican Republic !! If most people here in the US, take their cue from Baseball, it might be understandable lol,Oscar de la Renta doesn't immediately come to people's mind.

I had a friend who was Portuguese and was blond with blue eyes, every one was surprised, that's life !

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Why isn't there any girls with big guts and fat azz's with extra tight bra's sticking there boobs up ,like the girls I know.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
most of the Dominicans will never accept their black part. its their jungian shadow. :)

What most foreigners do not understand is that there are many Dominicans who do not have any black
parts, they are pure white thus some may say that they are denying their "blackness" when there isn't
any.

Status
Not open for further replies.