3 people injured in sosua after the wall collapses

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is close to helados bon. looks like the first floor wall fell down to the pavement:
Tres heridos al desplomarse una pared en celebraci?n desfile sosua | Detrasdelrumor.com.do

5whwzl.jpg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The article says the wall of BON, but the rubble is in front of the farmacia next door. Looks like some very heavy pieces; I would think there were serious injuries.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
The article says the wall of BON, but the rubble is in front of the farmacia next door. Looks like some very heavy pieces; I would think there were serious injuries.

it was the sign of bon...

1926924_672085096230090_7718111185731442734_n.jpg

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
By comparing the photographs on posts #1 and # 3, it would appear that a cantilever concrete slab over the roller shutter door to the Bon establishment and the parapet wall above have collapsed with the cantilever slab shearing off.

From an engineering perspective it is clear there is no reinforcing bar nor rebar dowels evident protruding horizontally from the existing remaining slab in the photograph in post #1 which would have been required to tie in a concrete cantilever and prevent failure in shear and bending. Both Bon and the contractor are culpable for any injuries.

As a note...the large speakers on the platform if in use at the time of the incident could well have induced sufficient vibration to have induced a failure which was waiting to happen

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Nobody's Fault

Unfortunately, in the D.R., there is NO CULPABILITY for any action...they'll just go on building sub-standard structures along main streets all over the country.

As always this will be called an 'accident' and nobody will be held responsible. :tired:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
some more info on this. 9 or 8 people in total were injured, one died. 4 are in a critical condition. all are very young.
Muere una de las jovenes exMiss Coral y varias personas resultan heridas al caer pared durante desfile en Sos?a | Detrasdelrumor.com.do
(VIDEO) AL MENOS 9 PERSONAS HERIDOS EN DESFILE TRES DE ELLOS DE GRAVEDAD AL CAER PARED SOBRE MULTITUD | Detrasdelrumor.com.do

second link has one of the usual photos so don't click if squeamish. i hope the girl on that photo will be able to walk again.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
This happened in Los Charamicos. Word on the street is that people were standing on the overhang waiting for the parade to pass by when it collapsed.
Mack.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
This happened in Los Charamicos. Word on the street is that people were standing on the overhang waiting for the parade to pass by when it collapsed.
Mack.

Looking at the video it does seem like people were standing on the overhang when it collapsed. This was an accident waiting to happen.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Looking at the video it does seem like people were standing on the overhang when it collapsed. This was an accident waiting to happen.

Word on the beach after the accident was, that people were on the roof to watch the parade.
A partially constructed wall fell down as people were pushing or sitting on the wall.
As usual no ambulance or hospital nearby. By the time one arrives in Puerto Plata chances for survival are poor depending on the gravity of injuries. Good luck in case of heart attacks.

Meanwhile on Sosua beach the independence day festivities produced three fights I saw.
In one case a guy with a knife chased another down the main passage among the tourists.
One person mentioned a gun which I did not see.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Word on the beach after the accident was, that people were on the roof to watch the parade.
A partially constructed wall fell down as people were pushing or sitting on the wall.
As usual no ambulance or hospital nearby. By the time one arrives in Puerto Plata chances for survival are poor depending on the gravity of injuries. Good luck in case of heart attacks.

Meanwhile on Sosua beach the independence day festivities produced three fights I saw.
In one case a guy with a knife chased another down the main passage among the tourists.
One person mentioned a gun which I did not see.

you are a better man than i, going on Sosua beach on a day like yesterday.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As usual no ambulance or hospital nearby.

As I understand it, the now deceased lovely girl was taken to CMC, Sosua which is very close by and very sad that she did not survive. Freak accidents happen everywhere and sometimes it is just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

May 29, 2006
I was in a similar accident in Estonia many years ago when a scaffolding collapsed. A teen died and my GF was in the hospital for two weeks. The crowd was gathering for the return of the Olympic athletes.

It brings up the point that you may want to network with some friends for a mutual blood supply or be on call for emergencies.

My dad is O+, and for many years, he was on a list of ppl to call when there was an accident. In this day and age, setting something up on the North Coast shouldn't be that hard.

Know your blood type and donate when you can. I've got my two gallon pin.