You have until 16th June to get legal status

Status
Not open for further replies.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The President made it clear in an emotional part of his speech today that illegals have until June 16th to get documented and after that date the police and elements of the armed forces will be used to repatriate those living here illegally.

Aimed at the Haitians but don't expect leniency to other overstayers after that date.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The President made it clear in an emotional part of his speech today that illegals have until June 16th to get documented and after that date the police and elements of the armed forces will be used to repatriate those living here illegally.

Aimed at the Haitians but don't expect leniency to other overstayers after that date.

So, on June 16th, the overstay tax is no longer valid?

I guess tourists better start carrying their passports as we are going to be asked daily if we are allowed to be in the country.

I can see it now....sitting on the beach sunning...military guys come up to me....."Papers Please....now!!" Next thing I know I am on a plane back to Canada with a ticket provided by the Dominican government!!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

I guess tourists better start carrying their passports as we are going to be asked daily if we are allowed to be in the country.

I can see it now....sitting on the beach sunning...military guys come up to me....."Papers Please....now!!" Next thing I know I am on a plane back to Canada with a ticket provided by the Dominican government!!

Haven't got a clue how they would implement what was said by Danilo in his keynote speech today.

But I would not be surprised to see the overstay fine eliminated and replaced by visa extension fees.... with penalties for those not renewing visas and overstaying as is the case in other islands with repeat offenders barred from entry. In effect a double fine to pay on exit if you have overstayed with a clear deterrent not to repeat.

And if the unlikely event you do unfortunately get stopped and checked and are found to be illegal then you cross DR off your future travel plans.

(Just a few thoughts to get my 100th post)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Haven't got a clue how they would implement what was said by Danilo in his keynote speech today.

But I would not be surprised to see the overstay fine eliminated and replaced by visa extension fees.... with penalties for those not renewing visas and overstaying as is the case in other islands with repeat offenders barred from entry. In effect a double fine to pay on exit if you have overstayed with a clear deterrent not to repeat.

And if the unlikely event you do unfortunately get stopped and checked and are found to be illegal then you cross DR off your future travel plans.

(Just a few thoughts to get my 100th post)

Visa extensions are a good idea.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
WANNA BET????????????????
I'm "illegal", will I get a free trip out???????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

In that your assets (if any) would be stripped, given to relatives and sold I would imagine some of the proceeds would be used to pay for your deportation flight.

But for those who maintain a low profile it's doubtful the authorities would actively seek them out. They'll probably go first for the people reported directly to the immigration officers. Reports generated by a spurned Dominican spouse, girlfriend (or boyfriend if that's the case) will keep the government busy at first.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
here's a link to the story:
Sacar?n extranjeros no se regularicen -
it also contains the whole speech for those interested.

no need to attack ju10prd, btw. i believe OP was informative, not opinionated.

It was meant to be informative and the news story you have attached needs to be read carefully as it applies to all foreigners and indicates the sentiment of the Dominican people feel on this matter.

No offence taken to any poster in reply.....just read and act.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
There is a banner at the top of this page selling condos ! So i guess the bottem just fell out of that market.... boom

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
And it comes on the final day for application into the Regulaizacion programme.
Well, you can't say you weren't warned and provided with a way to gain legal status for the next two years....providing anyone ever gets one of the bloody cards that is!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There is a banner at the top of this page selling condos ! So i guess the bottem just fell out of that market.... boom

Unlikely.

Strict rules on immigration does not affect expat condo sales in the Bahamas, TCI, Leewards or Windwards.

And to add to that the growing Dominican middle class are in that market big time. Maybe they will benefit from a drop in the resale market soon.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
On June 16th I going to pull a CC - pop some corn, pour a drink, pull up a lawn chair and watch all the illegals rise into the sky (a la rapture) never to be seen again...

... or maybe I'll just wander the deserted streets noting that there are no gringo servers around to pour me a pint.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

In Costa Rica the police will stop you on the street, the beach and they even come into bars and restaurants looking for gringos who overstay their visas ( virtual tourists are those leaving the country every 90 days and re entering ) they will arrest those virtual tourists and those whop have overstayed and start deporting them.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
In Costa Rica the police will stop you on the street, the beach and they even come into bars and restaurants looking for gringos who overstay their visas ( virtual tourists are those leaving the country every 90 days and re entering ) they will arrest those virtual tourists and those whop have overstayed and start deporting them.

Nice stuff for the tourist. I have never been asked for my passport in my 31 years of travelling to many islands in the Caribbean....I guess this is the new way. The same cops that currently ask me for a soda/beer or 100 peso will be dragging me to the hoosegow for the wait until my trip home. I can imagine how many passports are going to be pickpocketed as we will have to carry our originals. I suppose 30 days in the DR is the best one can do from that date on.

The government pays for their flights home?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Next question, will they give one a few hours to collect their clothing etc?

Honest mi amigo, I promise I'll come back. I just want to go home and grab some underwear and a toothbrush. You can trust me. Oh I see, you want my underwear and toothbrush after I'm gone. Oh ok, can you put me in a cell with other gringos? Yeah I kinda figured there must be a few lounging around. When do you think I'll be sent home? "After you seize and sell all my stuff to pay the expenses?" How long will that take, yes I know I'm in the DR...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
geez, guys. it's not like deportations of americans and/or europeans never happened. every now and then DR kicks out a bunch of criminals. it's more complicated than loading a truck and driving to the border so i would expect a gringo to await deportation in prision preventiva, just like regular druggies and hustlers.

i think by now we all know that DR will be deporting more haitians in the future so for a good measure they may pop in a gringo or two as a sign that this ain't about them dark folks. easy to single someone out, maybe a gringo involved in a car accident, in a drunk fight, some other problems. regular folks can sleep sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.