Where to buy lye (Sodium Hydroxide) for soap making?

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Any suggestions as to where I can buy lye crystals (Sodium Hydroxide) for soap making on this island? Since it's highly corrosive, I could not bring it on the plane.

Thanks.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Thank you for taking the time to do this research, but none of the videos you sent me discuss how to make lye crystals. Besides, I live in an apartment, so I do not have the resources to make my own lye. The stuff is highly corrosive, so I'd rather buy the crystals already made.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only know of wholesale sellers. but did you try any ferreteria? they would call it soda caustica.

May 29, 2006
The hard part is to get the fat from the liposuction clinics..

Fight-Club-Soap.jpg

Grueling Household Tasks Of 19th Century Enjoyed By Suburban Woman | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Thank you for everyone's replies - even the funny ones. You can always count on the DR1 forum jokesters to make your day, hehehe. I will look for it in the local hardware stores, now that I know what it's called in Spanish.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Sodium Hydroxide is the chemcal name.
Caustic Soda is currently the common name.
Lye is a historical name.

All are / were correct.
When you use the chemical be sure you understand what is normal behavior.
Be very careful of exothermic reactions. If the reaction is exothermic be sure to use an ice bath.
Also have a big bucket of water handy in case the reaction runs away.
That is dump the reaction vessel in the water to stop the reaction.

Wear gloves, an apron, and googles!

DS

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Thank you so much, Dropshort. You are absolutely correct when talking about using extreme safety when making soap with lye. I have done a lot of research and am an experienced soap maker already, always using safety goggles and gloves. Most people don't realize that all soap is made with lye, which is the chemical that induces saponification with fats and oils to create that magnificent thing called soap! When properly prepared and cured for several weeks, no lye remains in the final product. Anyone trying to make home-made soap for the first time must learn how to make it safely and properly first.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Soap is made from stearic acid and Lye NAOH so Sodium Stearate.

Hard water is hard because it has Calcium and Magnessium salts in it.

When you use soap (Sodium Stearate) in Hard water there is an ion exchange and the calcium and magnesium replaces the sodium. These salts are not soluble in water so they precipitate out.

There are tart candies made with Sodium and Magnesium Stearate! (read the label)

Bathtub Ring! High School Chemistry