Mango Recipes

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have about a million mangos here right now, all our trees are full, and the ones that aren't have a zillion flowers on them. They're delicious, but how many can you eat in a day???? We've got many different varieties, some tastier than others.

There's a vacant property on our road, and there must be 5000 mangos on the ground. No one wants them anymore, not even the pigs. A few days ago, a neighbor who we help out [and often feed] came over for a visit. He has little, but a property full of fruit trees, so he always brings some of his latest harvest. This time was a big bag of tangerines, and a 5 gallon bucket of mangos. After he left I asked Mr. AE what were we going to do with all those mangos. :rolleyes:

So I googled "Mango Bread" - not sure there was such a thing, but I love banana bread. Found this recipe and made it last night - fast and easy, and best of all, it was DELICIOUS. I ran the mango through the food processor instead of chopping it.

Fresh Mango Bread Recipe - Food.com

Anyone else have different recipes to use up the mangos???? I think I'll be making a bunch of these breads and freezing them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We have about a million mangos here right now, all our trees are full, and the ones that aren't have a zillion flowers on them. They're delicious, but how many can you eat in a day???? We've got many different varieties, some tastier than others.

There's a vacant property on our road, and there must be 5000 mangos on the ground. No one wants them anymore, not even the pigs. A few days ago, a neighbor who we help out [and often feed] came over for a visit. He has little, but a property full of fruit trees, so he always brings some of his latest harvest. This time was a big bag of tangerines, and a 5 gallon bucket of mangos. After he left I asked Mr. AE what were we going to do with all those mangos. :rolleyes:

So I googled "Mango Bread" - not sure there was such a thing, but I love banana bread. Found this recipe and made it last night - fast and easy, and best of all, it was DELICIOUS. I ran the mango through the food processor instead of chopping it.

Fresh Mango Bread Recipe - Food.com

Anyone else have different recipes to use up the mangos???? I think I'll be making a bunch of these breads and freezing them.

thanks for the recipe. i will surely try to make that one

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
can someone explain why there are mangos around when its not mango season?
I guess the answer is that these are not native mangos but some sort of hybrid that fruits 'out of season'

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess the answer is that these are not native mangos but some sort of hybrid that fruits 'out of season'

that is what i am told. this country is crawling with hybrid fruits. 365 days of the year i hear the Haitian women yelling aguacate, guineo, and i know that normal avocadoes have seasons.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
si, aguacate criolla (the natural ones) have a summer season...and are far more delicious.
And the same goes for mangoes, the summer ones are far nicer.

I like seasonality!

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
That mango bread looks amazing!! Thank you for sharing! As soon as I find some nice, fresh ones, I will eat them until they're gone. Then go buy more to make this bread recipe!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Mango Sorbet
2 cups cubed peeled ripe mango
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut, toasted (optional)

Can be made in ice cream machine or in storage container in freezer(freeze overnight)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am sure you could use mangos for this recipe:

Fruit Galette

Ingredients

4 cups cut fruit
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 prepared pie crust

Directions

Roll out pie crust on a piece of floured parchment paper. Pour fruit in center of crust, leaving a 2 inch margin at the edge. Fold the edges of the dough up and over the fruit (center of fruit will be open). Glaze the crust with egg wash and sprinkled sugar.

Bake crust at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, until the crust is golden and the fruit is bubbly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

The trees with the most mangos on our property were here when we bought the land in the late 70's early 80s, they appear to be over a century old, so not hybrid. Last year they were loaded in January. We have several types of mangos, they're not all ready - maybe 3 or 4 varieties are. The gota de oro that we love are loaded with flowers, and teenie fruits, but those probably won't be ready until summer.

Mr. AE says this year there was a lot more rain and a change in temperatures, which he thinks brought in an earlier harvest.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have made quinoa nd added mango (and sometimes strawberries) and eat it cold for breakfast, side dish, or a snack. I love, love, love mangoes, especially peeled, sliced and cold when I watch TV. Enjoy!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
AE, how about Banana Mango Smoothie. You have both on your property.:)

1 cup cubed peeled ripe mango
3/4 cup sliced ripe banana (about 1 medium)
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Arrange the mango cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; freeze until firm (about 1 hour). Place frozen mango and the remaining ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Mango Jam, no preservatives: Easy

3 Ripe Firm Mangoes
1+ 1/4 Cup Sugar
Zest and juice of one lemon(small) or lime

Peel the mangoes, discard the stone & just use the chopped/crushed pulp. Combine all ingredients together.

Cook at medium heat till the mixture thickens; about 35-45 minutes, while stirring occassionally. You will see it bubbling & thickening.

It will thicken more once it cools down. Spread on toast.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i am mango nut.....love them but not all of them start a mango factory....ikh

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I was wondering about the season part too..... I have 3 diffrent variaties, all are in flower now but the fruit time is early summer to begining/mid autumn...... but my SIL's tree in POP still has fruit. I prefer the " banilero" (?) ones.

Anyway. I freeze slices in freezer bags.
I LOVE mango crumble ( as in apple crumble ).
I make juice.
And mango chutney is good too and keeps well.
All sorts of batidas......

And of course when u are mango sick and cant stand them anymore....... natural abono.......:cry::cry:

But of course everyone knows mangos taste the best when u are resting high up on the tree, eating a freshly picked juicy fruit.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And I forgot ( while I am sampling some right now....), mango ice cream ( well technically speaking sorbet ). Delicious.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I once sent my gf to a spa and one of the things she said they did was rub mangoes over her face.