Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So You Want To Rent A Car And Drive In DR

2. Likes Africaida, KateP, frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not drive in the DR. Driving in the DR is for Dominicans. Wear the belt, drive a big car and be a passenger. I think of the big car extra gasoline cost as life insurance. Its a guarantee that you will be in a wreck. If it makes you feel any better it will most likely not be your fault.

4. Likes Luperon, JayinRD, sosuamatt liked this post
    Dislikes Harleysrock, Contango, DR1Admin, SosuaSam disliked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

First, i agree that driving here comes with great risks and alternatives are available to get you from any place to any other place.

Second, i have driven from my first day here. Beginning in SD! I have experienced views i would have not seen if I used others services. I have been lost too many times to count but I have found my way an equal number of times, forded streams, went with two drive wheels where those with 4 avoided.

I enjoy the adventure, the spectacular views, the people and food. My risks have been rewarded. I have never been injured and the only damage to my car has been from not yielding to pushy taxistas and route cars.

Tom

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommeyers View Post
    I enjoy the adventure, the spectacular views, the people and food.
    enjoy the FOOD? now, that, my fren, is insane talk. take it back.

driving in DR is easy: you basically go forward. parking in DR is a breeze: you stop the car, get out and voila. dominican driving myth is exaggerated.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful about believing everything dv8 says especially if the consequences might be bloody. See the post last week about the Dominicans who parked where they wanted to. Yep, 2 bloody and dead bodies.

Regarding the good food: I must explain that after driving all over this country I did find 2 good sources of food. OK, maybe the cooks weren't Dominican, OK there were no good tasting plantains to be found.

8. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

you could die walking on the sidewalk in sosua independence day parade. driving here is ok.

10. Likes Harleysrock, Criss Colon, Banker Bill liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the big deal about driving. Just need to be a little more aware of your surroundings and aggressive.

12. Likes Harleysrock, TP666, Contango liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the key to driving here is really paying attention and using mirrors. if a retard like me can manage so can other posters. and i only learnt how to drive 5 or 6 years ago. i cannot believe that folks who learnt how to drive before the beatles recorded their first album are finding it difficult to drive in DR.

14. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup people that say don't drive here are complete p$ssies!! Just pay attention all the time!! Of course if you are a nervous driver than don't!!

Driving 2-5 am is the best time to drive IMO.
    Can't even imagine living here and not driving all over the island!!

16. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have driven since my 1st day here -- started in SD... albeit a weekend, but Monday came fast and hard

if you ask me , Paris takes the cake... try the peripherique some day... or try Madrid, or Rome
    Lunatics abound.

Its not that hard here, but some always make it sound more difficult than it is....

caution, caution, caution................ or go to England and switch sides.....

18. Likes Harleysrock, Contango liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast