DR, A Collapsed State

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Ridiculuous article with not a shred of evidence to support his allegations. Of course we are not a failed state in any recognised seense of the words. We have police that are in general obeyed, we have courts that function in their own Dominican way and we have services such as water and electricity although not perfect. The economy is growing and there is no financial crisis . .So no one could accurately call the DR a failed state .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is nothing in the article that is incorrect. The proof is actually living here and seeing everything he talks about first hand.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Well I have lived here for Donkeys years, lead a total Dominican life and so I have the proof that it is very easy to throw brick bats at many Dominican ways of life ,,,but under no definition of failed state does the DR fit the criteria. ..I also do not regard Danilo as a criminal nor his chief of staff and those who voted for him showed a lot of good sense . His policies have been so sound that our borrowing rates have fallen substantially .. If only people realised the great strength of the Dominican economy over the past 5 or 6 years when most countries around the world have fallen into a heap. The reason of our continued growth is because the policies have been correct ...we borrowed very heavily at historically very good rates and over the past 6 years we have seen more infrastructure to benefit the economy than has been seen in probably all of 50 years before .. The DR is no failed state ,,it is a success story ..

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Then why does the pesos continue to fall against the $$$$$$$$$$$?

Its not only the DR peso. CDN dollar, British pound, Euro etc etc. Pretty much every currency on the planet is down against the USD as it is at its stongest position in over 10 years. I mentioned in a previous post that the US has strongly suggest to other nations to quit devaluating their currencies.
With the peso at its current rate it makes exports more attractive as the world trades in USD. I don't like it more than the next guy but until I'm voted king of the world I will have to live with it

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is nothing in the article that is incorrect. The proof is actually living here and seeing everything he talks about first hand.

It's not so bad that you've left. There are many things that could be better but I've dealt with the government here quite a bit. I am not prepare to call this a failed state based on my experiences in Africa and other places where the sate is much worse.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Is there a difference between a failed state and a collapsed state?
Yes a failed state is when it fail on his own and collapsed is when another failed nation merged with the nation making it a lot worse for repair.

Me entendiste?

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes a failed state is when it fail on his own and collapsed is when another failed nation merged with the nation making it a lot worse for repair.

Me entendiste?

JJ

no, i did not understand. help me by pointing to literature that defines a collapsed state in the way you just did.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I am serious, is there a difference?

No joking:

Failed = Fallido / mess up...

Collapsed = Colapso / is over... Nothing to do about it in order to fix the problem.

Me entendiste Gorgon?

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No joking:

Failed = Fallido / mess up...

Collapsed = Colapso / is over... Nothing to do about it in order to fix the problem.

Me entendiste Gorgon?

JJ

no i do not understand, because there have been states that collapsed, and recovered.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I am far from a proponent of the DR. In fact I try and hide my background from most Americans or those from more successful Latin American countries like Panama, Colombia or Argentina. That being said I have had the opportunity to travel extensively through Latin America and there are a lot of countries in far worse shape than us. I still go for runs in my part of the capital. In El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, DF, Venezuela etc something would happen if you did that everyday for a month. Here I have never had a problem. There is more work and more money than 10 years ago, there is no doubt about it. I still prefer the United States for my family long term, and this place frustrates me but failed state is a stretch.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As others have said, with all that could be better here in the DR, there are other countries that are much worse. The infrastructure here is leaps and bounds ahead of Belize. It's great fun to complain about potholes but such complaints are predicated on the majority of the roads being paved in the first place.

We can complain all day long about spotty cell service or inconsistent cable/fiber-optic internet, where elsewhere, such conversations are but a wet dream.

Even the corruption here could be viewed as a value added service, in that after you offer a propina, most of the time you are on your way, or get what you are attempting to simplify. In some other places, the first payment is just that, the first payment...

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
That being said I have had the opportunity to travel extensively through Latin America and there are a lot of countries in far worse shape than us.

I was surprise when my friend and her Husband who is original from Brazil decided to move from Miami to Brazil looking for a better future...

Some people say Brazil is doing pretty good.

JJ

Jan 9, 2004
I was surprise when my friend and her Husband who is original from Brazil decided to move from Miami to Brazil looking for a better future...

Some people say Brazil is doing pretty good.

JJ

They were......and then oil collapsed.

BBC News - Brazil raises interest rates to 12.75% to curb inflation

http://www.theguardian.com/business...the-noise-from-brazil-an-economy-on-the-brink

Stay right where you are.....you made the right choice.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2