higher-end liqour in S.D. or San Pedro ???

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Hello all,

I recently arrived in Hato Mayor del Rey to teach English for a year. I'm also an avid bourbon drinker but unfortunately didn't bring any from the states. My observations is that there aren't really any stores here in the DR that sell liqour exclusively (our liquor store equivalents in the states) but rather that pretty much all liquor is sold at colmados/supermercados, etc.

The largest liquor selections I have found have been in the Jumbo's (San Pedro, S.D. Agora Mall, and S.D. Megacentro), and even there the liquor selection was a joke in comparison with the average suburban liqour store. Is there anywhere in San Pedro or Santo Domingo that sells a wider-range of higher end liquor? I'm looking for something along the lines of Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, etc. Any advice would be appreciated....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Try Drinks2Go.................

Drinks2go
Avenida Tiradentes 60
Santo Domingo

34qvko3.jpg

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Try Drinks2Go.................

Drinks2go
Avenida Tiradentes 60
Santo Domingo

34qvko3.jpg

Thanks bigbird. So the idea of a liquor store does seem to indeed be foreign to this country (straight from their twitter page: "el nuevo concepto de Liquor Store en la Republica Dominicana"). Am I correct in assuming there's probably no word or phrase for liquor store in Dominican Spanish (everyday/street Dominican Spanish, that is)?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One just opened recently on the corner of Churchhill (Jimenez Moy? at that end) and Jose Contreras in SD, just a couple of blocks from Centro de Los Heroes/malecon. Large parking lot out front.

Sep 4, 2012
Try Iberia in SPM, Zaglul, you've already mentioned Jumbo. That is it for big tickets stores around there other than, maybe Juan Dolio

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks bigbird. So the idea of a liquor store does seem to indeed be foreign to this country (straight from their twitter page: "el nuevo concepto de Liquor Store en la Republica Dominicana"). Am I correct in assuming there's probably no word or phrase for liquor store in Dominican Spanish (everyday/street Dominican Spanish, that is)?

this is usual salesman bullcrap. liquor stores have been around for a while, even in POP, which is considered to be campo con luz. i have not heard people calling it anything else than liquor store, thou. it may be because it attracts english speaking middle class clientele rather than those who normally shop in a colmado. just put liquor store in local yellow pages and you will see lots of results.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
normally i hear "drink" in reference to places that sell alcohol for consumption on the spot. kinda like colmados but with better choice. and when i say "better choice" i mean that they don't exclusively sell peter allen. :p

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

There are liquor stores all over, at least in cities. Usually have some seating area for consumption as well. Less common are wine stores and drive-through bars (the rest of the world is still catching up to this one for some reason).

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
One just opened recently on the corner of Churchhill (Jimenez Moy? at that end) and Jose Contreras in SD, just a couple of blocks from Centro de Los Heroes/malecon. Large parking lot out front.

Finally made it into Santo Domingo today. This one is called Alberts Licores. Not really a selection I would even begin to compare with even a a typical suburban liquor store (in bourbon or any other hard liquor for that matter), except for the rum. Same with Drinks2Go, which I headed straight for after leaving Alberts empty handed. Anything with an even bigger selection that comes to anyone's mind in SD?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Finally made it into Santo Domingo today. This one is called Alberts Licores. Not really a selection I would even begin to compare with even a a typical suburban liquor store (in bourbon or any other hard liquor for that matter), except for the rum. Same with Drinks2Go, which I headed straight for after leaving Alberts empty handed. Anything with an even bigger selection that comes to anyone's mind in SD?

What in particular are you looking for?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

Try Ron Depot on 27. Not thinking you will get very lucky with Bourbon. Even Jim Beam is not all that common here. I remember once trying like 6 liquor store to find Jim Beam. Not to drink, but to make "bourbon chicken".

Dominicans are not big on Bourbon, whisky, etc. They are big on Johnny Walker, Hennesey etc etc etc.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've had good success getting established stores to order whatever I have been looking for. If it's truly obscure, sometimes I have had to commit to buying the whole case if it was something that would have zero chance of being sold to anyone else. Having 12 bottles of something your truly appreciate is not such a bad thing. If you don't get around to drinking it all before it's time to go home, just announce a fiesta and the problem will be solved with the help of friends you didn't even know you had.

La Sirena/Super Pola have been very accommodating to me in the past. Talk to the owner/jeffe at your favorite most convenient store. If they can't spell it, they can't order it. Everything one could possibly want is sitting in a distribution warehouse somewhere.

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
What in particular are you looking for?

Any premium bourbon that would go for over $25 in the states (except Maker's). Something like Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace. Only bourbon I've been able to consistently find is Beam white label. I bought a bottle already, but it's liking drinking Keystone when your true passion is craft beer.

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Haha, I wish I had the money for that. I would hate to see such good stuff go to waste!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Anyone encounter any counterfeit booze?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
general rule is the bigger the store/distributor, the less likely they are to sell fake booze. but counterfeit alcohol is very common. normally local rums and some whiskey brands.