Just a bit to get used to

It's a little confusing trying to figure out where to click to reply

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Take Some Time

I like the new Board. However, I have a couple of concerns:

One is that the "Gossip" section will become the catchall, thus restoring the old board. I am especially concerned about this with respect to matters that should go into "Living". Unless the Webmaster and regulars to the Board are conscious of the distinction between the two, we may soon find everything posted under "gossip". For starters, I think there needs to be a clearer explanation of what goes in gossip and what goes in "Living".

I am also concerned about the uncertainty relative to the place for such postings as: how will the weather be in February? who is best whalewatching guide in Samana? how much does it cost to take a taxi from airport to Sosua? what is a clean, modest priced hotel in Santiago? where do I get the best air fare deals in February? Do these questions go into "Living" or into "Gossip"? To me, they don't seem to fit in either. Maybe there should be another category for the many questions like these posted by prospective visitors and those planning for an upcoming visit.

But I like the new board and wish it well.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi Ken and Happy New Year!

I'm sure it's going to take a few months for the boards to sort themselves out.
Hopefully this way will help visitors find exactly what they want.
The old board used to get pretty mixed up and in my opinion sometimes hard to find the answers.
The new board allows us to move posts/threads to another forum. This will help guide people in the first few months to what should go in the Travel forum, Gossip forum etc etc.

Living: This is for all those living here related questions. What schools are good? How to I buy a car? Who sells the best meat?
Also we have Deborah Sanchez on hand to answer questions who has spent many years helping people relocate, she knows the place inside out.

Gossip: Many topics do not fall into a specific category, I think this was pretty obvious on the old board. Hopefully all that semi off topic stuff now has a home.
Maybe Gossip isn't the right wording, we are open to suggestions.

Rob.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"gossip"

Yes, I see the need for a place to put those items that don't seem to fit anywhere else. Thinking about it, I believe you have put your finger on my concern: "gossip" isn't the best title. That word is pretty well associated with "rumor or talk of a personal, sensational, or intimate nature." While there had been plenty of that on the old board, thereby perhaps making it necessary to have a "gossip" section, the serious stuff that doesn't fit into living also needs a place.

I'd suggest keeping gossip for the insiders that are accustomed to using the board for that, for the "semi off topic stuff," but add an additional category for the serious DR related items that don't seem to fit into one of the others.

Happy New Year to you and Dolores, Rob

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Ken
Should not your question examples be placed under the travel section ?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
At the other board I am a regular of there is a forum called MPSIMS, it stands for mindless pointless stuff I must share. I am not suggesting you copy the name, but wouldn't it be a good title for this one. :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
re Tor

Whether or not my examples should go under travel is hard to say. As I read the explanation and the qualifications of the moderator, it seems to me that this section is intended for people who have the sort of questions that would benefit from the help of a travel agent or consultant. Questions such as "when is the best time to see whales?" doesn't seem to me to fit there. Neither does it seem to fit under Living or gossip.

re PIB

I don't consider questions like that as MPSIMS, either. They are serious questions that deserve a serious answer. There may be a need for such a category, although "gossip" seems to make room for such postings, but there is also a need for a category for items that don't naturally fall into Living, Travel, or Gossip. Either that or the headings and explanations should be changed to make clearer the nature of the topics that belong under each.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Questions/Help forum

For Ken &/or Rob.

Ken, Like you I question the name "Gossip" for the basic forum. I would prefer something like "General" or "Open" forum.

Most of your comments relate to questions being posted by people who want answers to basic questions, so why not have such a forum & call it just that? Questions/Help forum? Anyone wishing information (another word that could be used) could enter their questions there rather than have to think uder which catergory they should post it!

For those who just want to 'sound off' on their own pet hate or desire to be confrontational, we could have a 'Sounding Off' or 'Bitching' forum!!! That one WOULD be busy!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"Open" is better than "gossip" for those questions that don't fit naturally into one of the other categories, but why must you put gossip in the same section? That gets us right back to what I am trying to get away from.

The serious questions that I am thinking about don't belong in a section that is "not for the fainthearted or easily offended". As Bushbaby indicates, there is a need for such a section, but separate from the serious questions.

I believe that more than a simple title change is needed, Rob. Surely you can find room for another category.

Ken

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Example of What Concerned About

I note there is a string started in travel section by someone who wants information on nice hotels in Santo Domingo that charge no more than $50 a night. The responder indicated that there were many, but then advised the writer that she would be better off posting the question in the "open" section since she would get more responses there.

Travel seemed to be the right spot for the question, based on my understanding of the categories. But is the respondent right? Are regular users checking all the sections to see if they can help, or is the "open" section to be the old board with a new face?

Ken