tourism situation in DR seems to be better now...

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I'm in Las Terrenas and I see a lot of tourists...LOTS of them..it seems to be much better than in 2013....

I was in Sosua 2 months ago and it was the same....good for the country and its people... :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm in Las Terrenas and I see a lot of tourists...LOTS of them..it seems to be much better than in 2013....

I was in Sosua 2 months ago and it was the same....good for the country and its people... :)

The cold weather in NA has pushed many to find a nice tropical destination

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Spring break time

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
yes Robbiee it is the same all over the DR . I have never seen so many tourists in Zona Colonial and I am told that Bayahibe is going along very well ..I suppose if we read and believed all the statistics on tourism , we would not be surprised because there has been a good increase in the numbers ..and also in the number of cruise boats coming here . Personally I am quite glad when summer comes around and we are not surrounded by tourists .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keep in mind that every year after tourist season, people mention how few tourists there are. We are in tourist season now up until April regarding snow birds. In Cabarete, the kite surfers who want the best winds will come in the summer time, so we actually have two high seasons in Cabarete with winter being more people normally than summer.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
It's the weather in Canada and the US that's done it, not any great remarkable change in the "wondairs" of the DR. The exchange rate favors NorteAmericanos, too......

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
not really, I talked with Dominicans and they seeem to ba happy with situation. Also I see A LOT of Euro Guys...while Sosua is of course dominated by North American, like it always was....
Keep in mind that every year after tourist season, people mention how few tourists there are. We are in tourist season now up until April regarding snow birds. In Cabarete, the kite surfers who want the best winds will come in the summer time, so we actually have two high seasons in Cabarete with winter being more people normally than summer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
not really, I talked with Dominicans and they seeem to ba happy with situation. Also I see A LOT of Euro Guys...while Sosua is of course dominated by North American, like it always was....

When I got here, Sosua did not seem to be dominated by North Americans. This year is perhaps a bit better than recent years, but still not as good as the past for the North Coast.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
It is unfortunate that very few come back. Most are not impressed and those that do return are of the all inclusive variety.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The exchange rate is not good for Canadians and there still seems to be lots of us here this winter.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Agree retiree - CDN exchange is brutal. But not as bad as -30C and over 11.5 feet - 3.5 meters of snow on the East Coast!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My guess is that the big hotels in Bavaro and Punta Cana are really bulging and that is where the tourist numbers really tot up these days.......and the tourism 8% of GDP.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Gee, I was on Sosua beach almost everyday last week. Other than the weekend when the beach is full of Dominicans, I thought that the high season had ended...very empty toward past years. I was thinking the Dominican beach visitors are up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My guess is that the big hotels in Bavaro and Punta Cana are really bulging and that is where the tourist numbers really tot up these days.......and the tourism 8% of GDP.

i want you to explain to me how tourism accounts for 8% of GDP....

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
i want you to explain to me how tourism accounts for 8% of GDP....

The statisticians who compile the figure need to advise you........but you can find a number of that magnitude if you 'Google' DR tourism as percentage of GDP. It was 7.7% in 2013.........I'm sure there are numbers for 2014 which should be higher...... but be mindful with the Barrick renegotiated deal the mining percentage would have moved upwards and affected other percentages

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The statisticians who compile the figure need to advise you........but you can find a number of that magnitude if you 'Google' DR tourism as percentage of GDP. It was 7.7% in 2013.........I'm sure there are numbers for 2014 which should be higher...... but be mindful with the Barrick renegotiated deal the mining percentage would have moved upwards and affected other percentages

they don?t need to advise me. i read the numbers, and they make zero sense. here is why

the nominal GDP of the DR is roughly 60 billion. therefore, by the number of 8%, then the DR receives 5 billion from tourism expenditure.

last year, the DR received 5 million tourists. therefore, the average spend per head is 1000 dollars.

let us factor leakage into the equation. the average leakage for tourism in the region is 79%. for each dollar a tourist spends on a caribbean vacation, 79 cents leak out, by different means. so, the 5 billion represents 21% of the money visitors spend.

that means that each visitor spends nearly 5 thousand dollars on his vacation, including hotel, airfare, and hospitality.

i don?t believe it.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
that means that each visitor spends nearly 5 thousand dollars on his vacation, including hotel, airfare, and hospitality.

i don?t believe it.

The airfare money doesn't go into the DR economy, only the portion that reflects DR taxes. Your earlier figure of $1000/head makes more sense, as it'd be about $125-150/day/person (not an unreasonable average, given the condos rent for $50/night and Hard Rock charges $400-500/night) for 5-7 days. Also factor in $50-100 in cab fare (both ways, including those that get duped) for each tourist or family. $1000/person an easy figure to hit.