Dental Question - Crowns

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
is $700 about right for a crown?

My wife recently was quoted that.
I'm not interested in running all over to save $10....

is this price close?

gracias

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Last June I paid $15,080 pesos with insurance that I believed covered 50% for a molar that needed a root canal and a crown which in my case is ceramic.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
$700.00 is a bit expensive. Zircornia is a material as strong as your own tooth. If your replacement crown is located in the front, like from central to cuspid. I may consider, as it should match perfectly because it has no metal coping. But if it is in the back like from first cuspid to 2nd molar, I will go with metal crown with a porcelain veneer. It will last for a long time and the metal will not show when you smile. And you can save a lot of money.

Unless if your crown is a implant, then $700.00 is a steal!!

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Do people really think that cheap is good when it comes to dentistry??
Someone was asking for the best place to get the cheapest root canal on FB the other day and now this.

As tommeyers says above, you will probably get what you pay for on the whole and cheap work will come back to bite you on the ass before too long. Cheap root canals are REALLY not a good idea!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ithink the reputation outweighs the price... I can agree on that.

Thanks for the advice everyone..... seems the range is about $500-700 exclusive of root canal.

FYI, the new school of thought (I'm told) is to avoid crowns of two materials - bonded- the new ones are all one material, as is the zirconia.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Depends on a lot of things. Material, dentists ability, 3D scan, impression, color matching, profiling etc.

Some dentists might use zirconia (the best) but that doesn't mean they know how to fit them properly.
I suggest you pay the extra and go to a trained cosmetic dentist that guarantees their work, as opposed to a jack of all trades dentist, which is very common here.

Why zirconia? It's very strong, an all white crown, so you don't have the issue of the grey line at the gum that you get with the porcelain fused to metal crowns.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I just paid $338 US for a crown (metal and porcelain molar). My dentist does not accept insurance. I recently got local health insurance so my dentist asked me to get an estimate from a dentist that does.

He matched the post insurance fee from that estimate.

In this country you build relationships over time.