Coming to live in SD

John

Jan 1, 2002
Will be coming to live in SD in March for three years, can anyone help me to find an appartment. Must be three bedroom ideally with some space for playing outside. Are there any compounds with security?
Also I shall have my five year old son with me and would appreciate any advice on schooling.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
John, we need more information on your budget. Because we can only give you advice if we know the kind of place you can pay and what kind of school you can pay.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The DR1 Living section addresses your concerns. You will find information on education and property. Also check out the real estate chapter in the Legal section.

John

Jan 1, 2002
Budget for Accomodation

Thanks for your reply I have checked out the DR1 school section and shall be sending out a couple of emails this evening.

Concerning the budget for the accomodation I have about $1,500 to play with.

You help is appreciated

paul

Jan 1, 2002
www.angelfire.com
what about belongings?

Is it possible to just mail myself some of my things like my electronics and computer gear and such- things i want to have but don't need to carry on the airplane and so on-[realize when i say mail i mean fed ex or some other alternative knowing that the "mail" in DR is not too reliable] Thanks

paul

Jan 1, 2002
www.angelfire.com
what about less expensive housing?

The reply was too long to include with my other half of this-1000 limit but-
i've asked in other threads but this new system is sort of confusing - what about lower end rentals like in the Boca Chica area im looking for a SMALL rental that might include a little store front space i might work on my internet projects in -so a desk basically and a way to watch the tourist sceen while i work and possibly interact with them at the same time- sort of a working holiday- and a suggestion for an apartment or other housing of a smaller-[one person] capactiy in the area too-any suggestions- how to locate rentals-negotiate- formalize with a written spanish language lease - local lawyers in the area or accountants - how is the Banco Popular - the only local bank in Boca Chica? etc- you all recognize a newby when you see one- any suggestions not normally offered in the forum already- as i do read and have for a couple of months- but am trying to hit the ground running on a small budget when i return next time- thanks- and cant tell you how much i enjoyed my trip- i 'm just returned here to the USA - Im in Florida - and it is SNOWING !!! so you KNOW i have to move further south SOON- all your plentiful help is much appreciated- Paul

jenifer brown

Mar 26, 2005
comming to live in Sto. Dgo.

Hello John,

If you hadn`t found an apartment already, I can have few options
for you, just send me an e-mail : alquidamia@yahoo.com or reply by the forum.
Regards,

jenifer

John said:
Will be coming to live in SD in March for three years, can anyone help me to find an appartment. Must be three bedroom ideally with some space for playing outside. Are there any compounds with security?
Also I shall have my five year old son with me and would appreciate any advice on schooling.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
jenifer brown said:
Hello John,

Regards,

jenifer
I think that you may be a little too late Jenifer because this thread is a 3 year old thread,
I am very sure that by now he is back in the U.S all disappointed.

paul

Jan 1, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Thanks Jennifer

jenifer brown said:
Hello John,

Regards,

jenifer
Just came back from Boca Chica in January where the CRIME RATE IS VERY HIGH-
i was mugged for the second time while there by a gang of three with knives, who punched and otherwise assaulted me and i am six foot two and not too old and feeble but assumed that they would just take what little money i had on me and let it go but when i turned my head to look at the one behind me going through my pockets the one in the front punched me in the ear and cut my neck with his knife-they then all turned for their motor scooter for a get away - all three riding on elittle yellow motorscooter- while telling my friends about it i heard of four others that happened within the same timeframe of a few days both in boca chica and the capital-all americans of course-

you can see several american gang members in the streets at all times having just been deported from the usa prison system [last year 4300 were returned according to the local paper] and they are training the others in their systems- one does not just happen upon the idea of getting three men together with knives and a motor scooter to rob people-these gang members all sport the classic american gang wear you are familiar with from the rap videos and the crime reports and speak excellent english "hey, what's up?"

the locals say the call themselves a "UNION" and eachother "BROTHERS" and they get high on drugs and then do their crimes-

drugs by the way are everywhere too and the hard core only seem to survive- the place is dirtier and very much more dangerous in all aspects-
i cannot recommed the area any longer nor would i consider a business there as i once did- i have lots of friends that visit there but if i go back to see them i will stay at the all inclusive and do it like a tourist

thanks for your help

paul

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Makes me very sad!

paul said:
Just came back from Boca Chica in January where the CRIME RATE IS VERY HIGH-
i was mugged for the second time while there by a gang of three with knives, who punched and otherwise assaulted me and i am six foot two and not too old and feeble but assumed that they would just take what little money i had on me and let it go but when i turned my head to look at the one behind me going through my pockets the one in the front punched me in the ear and cut my neck with his knife-they then all turned for their motor scooter for a get away - all three riding on elittle yellow motorscooter- while telling my friends about it i heard of four others that happened within the same timeframe of a few days both in boca chica and the capital-all americans of course-

you can see several american gang members in the streets at all times having just been deported from the usa prison system [last year 4300 were returned according to the local paper] and they are training the others in their systems- one does not just happen upon the idea of getting three men together with knives and a motor scooter to rob people-these gang members all sport the classic american gang wear you are familiar with from the rap videos and the crime reports and speak excellent english "hey, what's up?"
Today, on my day off, I was having my usual day: happy as a clam, coffee on hand and ready to read some good stuff and then make my flight reservation to the DR. I got "hit" with your story and it really hit a "feeling" nerve.

I am so very sorry for what happened to you. I have this "stupidity thing" that when I read a story like yours, I tend to put myself on the victim's place because in a way, I want to try and "see" what some of these people feel when they are attacking someone. As an non-violent person (about 3 fights in my life: One with a resort worker a few years back, another a long time ago and the other with a girl in Junior High who kicked the hell out of me) I can not comprehend anybody being so desperate as to harm another person with brute force. I guess that some just don't value their own lives and therefore, they value nobody else's.

I have been saying for years that ONE of the main reason for crimes and drugs in the DR has alot to do with those morons that are deported from abroad. They went to a foreign country and messed their lives up and when they get deported, they STILL want the live the same violent and disgusting lives that they lived before they were deported.

I am truly sorry for what happened to you and I hope to God that someone would get those morons and put them where they belong, in jail.

I say, when someone gets deported, let the police pick them up at the airport and drive them to a deserted place where they only habitants are their fellows deportees. Let them have their own community where after going in, they can not go out. If only life was so simple!. One can dream.

Again, as a born dominican, I am sorry.

Btw, I noticed that when you asked for help, here, back in 2002, there was no posts/replies to your many questions.

Last edited:

paul

Jan 1, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Thanks and my thoughts..

miguel said:
Today, on my day off, I was having my usual day: happy as a clam, coffee on hand and ready to read some good stuff and then make my flight reservation to the DR. I got "hit" with your story and it really hit a "feeling" nerve.

I am so very sorry for what happened to you. I have this "stupidity thing" that when I read a story like yours, I tend to put myself on the victim's place because in a way, I want to try and "see" what some of these people feel when they are attacking someone. As an non-violent person (about 3 fights in my life: One with a resort worker a few years back, another a long time ago and the other with a girl in Junior High who kicked the hell out of me) I can not comprehend anybody being so desperate as to harm another person with brute force. I guess that some just don't value their own lives and therefore, they value nobody else's.

I have been saying for years that ONE of the main reason for crimes and drugs in the DR has alot to do with those morons that are deported from abroad. They went to a foreign country and messed their lives up and when they get deported, they STILL want the live the same violent and disgusting lives that they lived before they were deported.

I am truly sorry for what happened to you and I hope to God that someone would get those morons and put them where they belong, in jail.

I say, when someone gets deported, let the police pick them up at the airport and drive them to a deserted place where they only habitants are their fellows deportees. Let them have their own community where after going in, they can not go out. If only life was so simple!. One can dream.

Again, as a born dominican, I am sorry.

Btw, I noticed that when you asked for help, here, back in 2002, there was no posts/replies to your many questions.

Thanks for your thoughts-

It is a shame that decent folks allow any national pride to come between themselves and a better life-

I have a friend in the police force and before this happened and having noticed the gang colors and uniforms on the local nationals i asked him about gang problems to which he replied there are no gangs-

silly me-

what the DR and all countries need to do is to reincarcerate the returnies-if only for 72 hours or more depending upon the nature of their crimes- but these people are not petty thiefs - they are major criminals to get deported from the USA you need to be a major bad guy- let them know that they are being watched and that the feeling is that if they cause trouble in one country they are sure as you say to continue in the same path -why would any country want their local population to have any more troubles than the former host country had- why wait for your native children to be abused - when you have the hard learned lessons of the former host country who have already measured this individuals lifestyle choices-

when non-natives like myself apply for residency permit they do a background check and the DR does not pass anyone with a history that these returnies surly must have- why would a native-son be so warmly accepted and decent socially acceptable foreigners have to undergo scrutiny?

treat everyone the same i say and let the bad eggs go their way not to a nice little criminal neighborhood where they train the children to be criminals but back to prison so they learn that no matter where they do their crime when they get back home they do another prison term too-
just to let them know that acting in their previous fashion is not acceptable and though they perhaps cannot be deported from their native soil they certainly can regret their actions if they choose to continue in their violent fashion-

it worked for us as kids-

get in trouble at school or anywhere and when you got home your family gave it to you just as hard again and you knew it-

thanks again for your thoughts
such a shame to allow this--whatever the excuse