Tourist Card purchase online

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just got a call from a tourist who was about to board her flight, who was inquiring about her tourist card purchase.
While waiting for her flight, she used her smart phone to purchase the card from the dgii.gov.do

She did not have where to print it out, as she was in the airport.

She was curious whether she had just lost the US$10 for the tourist card, and whether the people at Migration would accept the confirmation she could only show them on her smart phone that she had purchased the card.

Called the DGII in Santo Domingo, that referred me to Migration in Santo Domingo, that gave me the telephone for Migration in Punta Cana. At Migration in Punta Cana they confirmed the smart phone confirmation would be accepted.

I spoke to Indira at Migration in Punta Cana, Tel 809 221-3412 and gave her that telephone, just in case.

Am sharing this experience for others in the future.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Cool, I've wondered about that. I purchase a tourist card online every trip, and always print. Hope it works.

Jan 9, 2004
Called the DGII in Santo Domingo, that referred me to Migration in Santo Domingo, that gave me the telephone for Migration in Punta Cana. At Migration in Punta Cana they confirmed the smart phone confirmation would be accepted.

Am sharing this experience for others in the future.

Let's hope the information is passed to the collectors......or the whole purpose (convenience) of doing this online and having it on a smartphone will be defeated.

Not a pleasant experience waiting in an airport as everyone passes you by.....while waiting for the jefe to confirm your new electronic time saving online tourist card purchase.

For the record, I have used the purchased online printed card at STI....and after a bit of confusion...it was accepted. Next week, I will try the Smartphone version....but with the printed backup....just in case....and then report back on the experience.

FYI: For those who do purchase online.....note that the card is valid for one year from purchase.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I believe you can print it when arriving at the airport. There's a kiosk that seems to be for the purpose of printing that out. I've been using my visa, so I don't stop long enough to really look at it. But it's literally right where the lines form for tourists vs residents in PUJ, at least where SWA lands.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
La Tarjeta de Turista permite permanecer en el pa?s por un per?odo de 30 d?as, a partir de este tiempo el turista puede extender su estad?a pagando una tarifa que est? sujeta a la cantidad de tiempo que decida durar en el pa?s. De necesitar informaci?n al respecto, contacte al Ministerio de Migraci?n.

Para obtener la Tarjeta de Turista se exige como ?nico requisito un Pasaporte v?lido y el pago de US$10.00 o €10,00, la misma tiene vigencia de un a?o y es v?lida para una sola persona, la que podr? utilizarla una vez.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
OK I understand what you pay if you stay more than 30 days. according to the above document from DGII you can extend your stay and pay una tarifa up to one year.

My question is: If you pay to extend your stay does that give you legal status to be in the country?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My question is: If you pay to extend your stay does that give you legal status to be in the country?

I have not heard of anyone who has attempted and been successful at extending their 30 day tourist visa. One may have to travel to Santo Doming to do so.

Give you "legal status", yes in the sense that if one obtains a visa extension you are not in the country illegally, but I do not believe the extension in and of itself imparts any other rights/privileges beyond those afforded under the general 30 days tourist visa.

You should still be able to drive for up to 90 days on your foreign driver's license and of course you would not be expected to pay the exit fee upon leaving provided you can present your visa extension.

As I've said, I an not aware of anyone who has done this recently, easily or successfully. In fact I cannot even recall hearing of someone who has tried and been unsuccessful which leads me to believe that the process it is either more trouble than it is worth or not possible.

If you need to stay longer than 30 days, you may be better served by securing a different type of visa than one that classifies you as a tourist especially if you wish to drive throughout your extended stay here.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
OK I understand what you pay if you stay more than 30 days. according to the above document from DGII you can extend your stay and pay una tarifa up to one year.

You are conflating two different things. First, the tourist card itself is valid for one entry into the DR for one year from time of purchase. That doesn't mean that your stay can be extended to one year.

The extension of stay, the prorr?ga, can be obtained only at Migraci?n in Santo Domingo. If you read Spanish, you can find mention of extending your stay in the law promulgated when the crackdown on residency and the legalization issue began. According to that, the tourist card can be extended once, for an additional thirty days. There is a limit also on the number of times someone can extend a tourist card. If I remember correctly, it is one extension in two years. When I have a little more time this afternoon, I will look for the wording in the law and give a link. Right now, internet is going in and out and it would be supremely frustrating to search.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The extension of stay, the prorr?ga, can be obtained only at Migraci?n in Santo Domingo. If you read Spanish, you can find mention of extending your stay in the law promulgated when the crackdown on residency and the legalization issue began. According to that, the tourist card can be extended once, for an additional thirty days. There is a limit also on the number of times someone can extend a tourist card. If I remember correctly, it is one extension in two years. When I have a little more time this afternoon, I will look for the wording in the law and give a link. Right now, internet is going in and out and it would be supremely frustrating to search.

I'm sorry but this has all changed

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I'm sorry but this has all changed

From Decreto 631-11 signed by Leonel Fern?ndez:

http://www.consultoria.gov.do/spaw2/uploads/files/Decreto 631-11.pdf

La permanencia m?xima de Turista extranjero en la Rep?blica Dominicana, es de sestenta (60) d?as.

Translated: The maximum stay of a foreign tourist in the Domincan Republic is sixty (60) days.

Article 81 on page 36 of the Decree.

En caso de ser aprobada la pr?rroga, la D.G.M. s?lo podr? concedar una pr?rroga de permanencia por sesenta (60) d?as.

Translated: In the case of an approved extension, the Direction General of Immigration can give only an extension of 60 days.

Article 66, Paragraph II on page 40 of the Decree.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Like I said.......................

Update March 2015 from Travel advice and advisories for Dominican Republic

Visas

Tourist visa: Not required
Business visa: Required
Student visa: Required

Canadians entering the Dominican Republic for tourist purposes must purchase a tourist card at a cost of US$10, which is valid for 30 days. The tourist card can be purchased at the airport upon arrival to the country. Those wishing to stay for a longer period than allowed on the tourist card must pay a surcharge at the airport upon departure, which ranges in cost depending on length of stay,

or request an extension by visiting the Department of Immigration in Santo Domingo.

I would like to hear from anyone that has gone to SD to have this done since the overstay fees went up in Nov 2014.

For me it was worth 2500 pesos not to go SD and God knows what would have happened. No one has reported. Lucky for most of us coming from Canada the tourist card is included in our flight purchase.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Like I said.......................

Update March 2015 from Travel advice and advisories for Dominican Republic

Visas

Tourist visa: Not required
Business visa: Required
Student visa: Required

Canadians entering the Dominican Republic for tourist purposes must purchase a tourist card at a cost of US$10, which is valid for 30 days. The tourist card can be purchased at the airport upon arrival to the country. Those wishing to stay for a longer period than allowed on the tourist card must pay a surcharge at the airport upon departure, which ranges in cost depending on length of stay,

or request an extension by visiting the Department of Immigration in Santo Domingo.

I would like to hear from anyone that has gone to SD to have this done since the overstay fees went up in Nov 2014.

For me it was worth 2500 pesos not to go SD and God knows what would have happened. No one has reported. Lucky for most of us coming from Canada the tourist card is included in our flight purchase.

We're saying the same thing, Anna. I quoted from the Decree, you quoted from the embassy website. In either case, the tourist card is good for thirty days and can be extended (pr?rroga) by Migraci?n.

BTW, there is a typo in my previous post. It is Article 86, not 66. Couldn't correct the post because I saw it too late.

Aug 6, 2006
Once you re sure you are paying a visit to the DR, it is worth buying this online and printing it out. It will save you from waiting in line.

I recently paid a visit from Feb 19 through Mar 19, and when the guy at SDQ told me that I needed to go to another cola to pay a fee I pointed out that Feb has only 28 days and he had to agree that I was not over the 30 day limit. One can get a minor cozy feeling of getting away with something every one in a while.

The Colonel's chicken tastes a thousand times better after a 28 days of arroz con guandules. But it is also amusing to hear the mangoes fall on a tin roof and chase them down and eat them.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Thank you all for the info. I also stayed over 30 days from 1-20 to 3-5 and had to pay the 2,500 DP fine I bought my plane tickets the day before the rates went up. Leaving out of SDQ presented my passport to aduanas, scanned passport and the computer alerted them to the overstay. I was "invited" to go to another line to pay before coming back and completing my exit.
I also agree that traveling to SD to extend the visa is not worth it if it is even possible

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I called the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa 613-569-9893. This is what I was told. Yes the tourist card can be renewed for another 30 days only, but they are not sure on the cost. The lady I spoke with said the cost of renewal might be the same as 2500 pesos you will pay in overstay fees.

Her words not mine " not worth going all the way to SD" when you are going to have to pay the same when leaving. There is no way around the 2500 pesos for overstaying 2-3 months.

This is what I figured when I posted whilst in the DR on the 29th day of my vacation. I'm glad I didn't try to renew for another 30 days when so many things were unclear :)