Drive on the left

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Drive on the left and risk getting a ticket.

El Dia reports today that AMET has given out tickets to trucks and buses that were driving on the left side of the roads. While driving on the right is a rule in Dominican driving law, especially when trucks are involved, it is not complied with. This would be a first of AMET giving out tickets for that infraction.

It would be a blessing if more vehicles would stick to the right lane, and this might be a start. That way, the left lane can be left for passing.

Here zigzagging is the norm, but maybe this is good news and the word will be out to stick to the right or middle lanes and leave the left for passing.

Whatever, everyone be forewarned. Apparently this is another of those blitz operations by the AMET, but anyway, more so reason to stick to the rules, for safer driving for everyone.

AMET sorprende 81 conductores de veh?culos pesados transitando por carriles izquierdos -

Last edited:

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
would make driving in the d.r. a bit more simpler ...why they have to occupy all lanes driving at 20 miles an hour with not a care in the world can be annoying

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

El Dia reports today that AMET has given out tickets to trucks and buses that were driving on the left side of the roads. While this is a rule in Dominican driving law, it is not complied with. This would be a first of AMET giving out tickets for that infraction.

It would be a blessing if more vehicles would stick to the right lane, and this might be a start. That way, the left lane can be left for passing.

Here zigzagging is the norm, but maybe this is good news and the word will be out to stick to the right or middle lanes and leave the left for passing.

Whatever, everyone be forewarned. Apparently this is another of those blitz operation of the AMET, but anyway, more so reason to stick to the rules, for safer driving for everyone.

AMET sorprende 81 conductores de veh?culos pesados transitando por carriles izquierdos -

I totally agree........enforcement of the rules on use of the left lane on the main carriageways is good news (rule says............el carril izquierdo solo debe ser utilizado para adelantar y........debemos regresar al carril de medio o derecho....).

Europeans will be used to this concept.

How long such enforcement will last is a matter of doubt.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How about tickets for driving in the center? A large number of unskilled drivers do that all the time with a wheel over the center line. Perhaps that is what they mean by driving on the left.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

El Dia reports today that AMET has given out tickets to trucks and buses that were driving on the left side of the roads. While driving on the right is a rule in Dominican driving law, especially when trucks are involved, it is not complied with. This would be a first of AMET giving out tickets for that infraction.

Whatever, everyone be forewarned. Apparently this is another of those blitz operations by the AMET, but anyway, more so reason to stick to the rules, for safer driving for everyone.

nobody teaches these guys to drive. they just get behind the wheel of a car, then wing it. they copy the other guy, who can?t drive, either. you cannot expect better use of the roads.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Tickets? Wasn't there a news article here on DR1 that stated that only 3% of tickets are even paid?!? Waste of paper.

May 12, 2005

The longest journey begins with a single step.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

About time. Went to SDQ and back to Higuey varios times this month and I am FED UP with these idiots who stay on the left and almost park. Wish to have a bazooka for them... :mad:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
On the left going the right way ?? Or on the left going the wrong way ?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Tickets? Wasn't there a news article here on DR1 that stated that only 3% of tickets are even paid?!? Waste of paper.

Not anymore. You don't pay, you can't get documents issued by Procuraderia (like the certificate of no legal antecedents). But: I got a ticket two months ago and have been checking online if it was registered, which it still is not. I checked the ticket yesterday and the Amet made a mistake in my cedula number. I wonder if there is another guy now with my fine attached to his cedula.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh this is a BIG pet peeve of ours, gets Mr. AE's road rage going all the time.

Last week we took a trip up north and road both the new Haina highway and the Santiago bypass - I can't remember where, but we actually saw several big signs telling large vehicles to stay to the right.

We also found out that MOPC has vehicles stationed along those new roads that are like AAA in the US. You call them for roadside assistance and they come help change a tire, drive you to a garage to fix a tire, etc. I put the phone # in my phone - of course, because I did that we'll never need them. If I didn't have it, we'd need it. Murphy's Law works overtime for us here.

Not anymore. You don't pay, you can't get documents issued by Procuraderia (like the certificate of no legal antecedents). But: I got a ticket two months ago and have been checking online if it was registered, which it still is not. I checked the ticket yesterday and the Amet made a mistake in my cedula number. I wonder if there is another guy now with my fine attached to his cedula.

Where do you check online? I got a tickets months ago and chucked it. I figure if I have to pay it I will but won't go out of my way to pay.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sides and Lanes

Drive on the left and risk getting a ticket.(...)
Here zigzagging is the norm...

I am not sure whether AMET knows left from right.
What law says you have to drive on the left?
Here you drive on the good side of the road.
The bigger vehicle chooses which is the 'right' lane...
If in doubt, 'gringos' are always on the wrong side.

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I am not sure whether AMET knows left from right.
What law says you have to drive on the left?
Here you drive on the good side of the road.
The bigger vehicle chooses which is the 'right' lane...
If in doubt, 'gringos' are always on the wrong side.

donP

Clear to me what AMET are following.............page 85 of "Manual de Conduccion y Seguridad Vial de la Republica Dominicana"

.....left lane is only for overtaking.........need to return to middle of right lane after manoeuvre.....

That was one of the questions in the driving video theory test.