new public school hours

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Public school hours in Sosua have nearly doubled. One sure sign this is the right move is the extended family my wife forces me to live with absolutely loath the new schedule. Now, if they do a little teaching, we may see some progress. The teachers will be forced to keep the little devils busy so something will be going on in the classrooms. I laugh all the way to school as the kids whine and complain. I love to see them miserable over something they cannot control and offer them the option to run away from home. No one left yet but I still have hope.

Aug 21, 2007
The kids in our after-school classes comment that they like going to school all day. They like the new classrooms. Only one boy complains every day that school is too long, but then he is a bit lazy in the first place.

Maybe our kids are exceptions, as they leave school to attend our classes at Strength for the Journey. Since they are mostly poor kids with little other opportunity or anyone home to give them attention, maybe it is just that we are a place to go where someone is always glad to see them and give them something interesting to do. I don't know, but I do know that they like the full day of school.

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
teacher's headache is parents' day of romping. someone's loss is always someone else's gain.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We just received two children back that had transferred to the public school in September. Their parents said the kids refused to go to school anymore- to much chaos, violence, and too much time out of school.

Aug 21, 2007
We just received two children back that had transferred to the public school in September. Their parents said the kids refused to go to school anymore- to much chaos, violence, and too much time out of school.

Huh....now you have me curious. I am going to go to the school next week to observe.

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You've been under a rock, Harley. Nationwide change from the a.m. or p.m. to the whole day program. Not sure if it's been fully implemented yet.

new hours are in some schools only. basically the ones that have the capacity to sit all those little devils in one go.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What are the new school hours and is this change only in Sos?a?

It's probably implement in about 50 percent or more schools. Here in Jarabacoa they built three new school and it was implemented in them but not all of the old schools. Many parents like the fact that the kids get two meals.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
This is a waste of time and resources! I've heard kids saying that first teachers teach the class, and then they can do whatever they want. They seem to have some serious free time.
There is also the food. They say it?s crap! I?ve heard of schools that want to force the kids to eat the food and won?t accept the food their parents bring.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
This is new to them seeing how long they've been attending school for only half the time. It will take time for some to adjust to to the new hours.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You are wrong. Find some new sources. There is additional instruction, computer labs in some schoolsa and PE and no one forces them to eat. My kids like the new school hours and are happy with it. Anything is better than the 1/2 day bunk.

This is a waste of time and resources! I've heard kids saying that first teachers teach the class, and then they can do whatever they want. They seem to have some serious free time.
There is also the food. They say it?s crap! I?ve heard of schools that want to force the kids to eat the food and won?t accept the food their parents bring.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You are wrong. Find some new sources. There is additional instruction, computer labs in some schoolsa and PE and no one forces them to eat. My kids like the new school hours and are happy with it. Anything is better than the 1/2 day bunk.

Seriously! This may not happen at yours, but there ARE school with this happens. Some seem to have a "food agenda".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Seriously! This may not happen at yours, but there ARE school with this happens. Some seem to have a "food agenda".

it may just well be. people have strange ideas sometimes. decades ago i was in a summer school. the teacher told me i need to drink a glass of warm milk or else i will not be allowed to go home, despite me repeating that i do not like milk and do not want it. finally i grabbed the glass and threw it at the wall. needless to say it was my last day at that school.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

You seem to have inappropriately high expectations.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Concerning the food. The gov't implemented nutritious foods in the schools to combat
childhood obesity. So many will find school cafeteria food disgusting because they are
being introduced to eating nutritious meals which consist of vegetables. Dominican
kids (majority) are not used to eating veggies every day. In order to enforce it they
need to prohibit the children from bringing their own lunch.

But what the school administration need to do is send a letter home to the parents
explaining why it is being done. That way the parents can explain it to their children.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why innaprorpiate? The are whole schools that have gotten sick from the food.

that's most likely due to improper storage and general lack of hygiene. not to mention kids faking stomach aches and so on. i mean, who would not? you get to miss boring class. i'd be sick on regular basis.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My mom said I had to be puking, have diarhea, or a fever before I could stay home from school!!!!
AND I had to PROVE IT!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC