Coral Hamaca & El Embajador Jan 5 to 11

TraderJohn(USA)

Jan 1, 2002
HELP!! Coral Hamaca & El Embajador Jan. 5 to Jan 11

Hola (hi) & Happy New Year!

I am arriving at the Coral Hamaca in Boca Chica on January 5. I am staying there for 3 nights then moving on to the Embajador in Santo Domingo for the last 3 nights of my DR stay.

I am going in plan of "Play and Work". During my stay at the Coral Hamaca, I am off all day and night. At the Embajador in Santo Domingo, I will be working during the day and playing and partying at night (partying hard specially on Thursday January 10th).

Any tips such as places to go would be very appreciated (please be specific- please, please include the name of the recommeded place and its address).

I am a down to earth kind of guy that likes beer, no snobby type places, love to dance - I like merenge although I do not how to dance it very well. I don't want places that play 100% techno nor a 100% latin; a nice mix of music would be great. While in the DR I would like visit nice open air bars. I like my big meals at lunch in an open air restaurant with a nice view of the ocean and of pretty girls if available.

I specially appreciate a tip on what to do on Thrusday night January 10th in Santo Domingo. (Remember I will be staying at "El Embajador"). Something in that area would be great. I'll be flying back to the States at noon the following day.

Thank you in advance for your help and tips!

What the best beach in Santo Domingo?

PS Please include the name of restaurants that serve Dominican food, and that have great atmosphere.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am not the expert in this board (travel) but let's see what I can do.

Open air bars? Try La Atarazana in Ciudad Colonial (any taxi driver knwos). My suggestion is you try Pat'e palo or Museo del Jam?n, my two favorites there.

If it is your fist time in SD you'd like to try La Guacara Taina, an underground discotec in the middle of Parque Mirador Sur. You will like it, I promise. There are many more discos, but that one is a must see for a first timer.

Beaches in Santo Domingo? unexistant. The closest one is Boca Chica, a very beautiful beach but with mixed reviews. Check the archive for them. If I were you I would go to Neptuno's Club. A very nice restaurant with pretty decent food right on the water. You could even bring your swimming suit and have a swim there. Make reservations.

I am sure the experts will give you better and more sound advice later.

Now returning to lurking mode...

doug

Jan 1, 2002
John for a great list of resturants go to www.bocachicabeach.net and you'll find out everything there is to know about Boca Chica. Try Cafe Colonial while there....I'm very sure you'll like it very much!!!!

MariaAlexandra

Jan 1, 2002
See you at Hamaca Disco next Saturday night

Me and my best friend Cristina will be at the Hamaca Disco next Saturday.

I will be wearing a red low cut dress. If you like to dance ask me to dance.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thursday night in Santo Domingo. I'd suggest maybe heading to the Jaragua for dinner at the steakhouse or at Champions. Then head to Jubilee out back, because thursday is Ladies night. Usually packed with women. You should also stop in the Merengue Bar at The Jaragua as they have great live orchestras playing Merengue.

Guacara, is very near the Embajador, and is definitely a must see.

Open air bars, are all over the place. I like PIO PIO on early Sunday evenings, as they feature live Bachata. PIO PIO is near the airport though.

For lunch in Boca try Portofino's Darren the owner is from Boston so there are usually some ex pats hanging around. The food is Ok, not great.