Indian restaurant

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Hola...I searched through old threads, but to no avail. Does anyone know of any indian restaurants in Santo Domingo, Santiago or the North Coast. Heck, let's just make it anywhere in DR :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Santo Domingo: Chatny on Calle Eduardo Jenner (809) 299-7918
Inicio but check first to confirm if still open

In B?varo - we recently had a poster here who was planning to open one in/near Los Corales.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Indian food oozing with sabor, my mouth is watering at the thought of it, let me when mission is accomplished

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Yes I can make a few indien dishes. it is my American sipn on it but it is good. Can not make the nan bread thow.
For some reason south African crew were all ways asking me to make a currey or butter chicken.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the best indian restaurant to date is in santo domingo. Its called "Casa de AZB". unfortunately its not open to business to the general public. Only to special friends of mine.
Now to the confused folks: there is no real indian restaurant in this country. The ones who claim to make indian / Pakistani food are fake to just plain bad. I make the best tandoori chicken tikka and other dishes along with basmati rice (bryani). My rice and spices are bought in NY or atlanta (which come straight from india or pakistan). I do make dal dishes but my main specialty is BBQ dishes. So I am not too worried about having an indian restaurant in this country. to date I have tasted food of a few places which claim to make indian food, I found them to be all fake. I have not tasted the place in santo domingo which is run by some pakistani students but I have a feeling, I can always make better food than they can. My bbq meat is better than any indian restaurant i have eaten in NY.
AZB

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Yes, it's easy to make Indian food at home and I do, a lot. I bring the spices from New York and keep them in the fridge so they don't lose their kick. I wish I could find the lovely little okra I used to use for the most wondair vegetarian dish. I am visiting the USSA in two weeks and I know that my first restaurant stop will be at one of my favorite places on Third Avenue.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for the info...I will keep you all posted, if I find anything worthwhile. However, what I really want to know is when AZB is going to have an Indian Food Open House? :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the info...I will keep you all posted, if I find anything worthwhile. However, what I really want to know is when AZB is going to have an Indian Food Open House? :)

good question.
i have been hosting people for many many years but in return, no body ever hosts me to anything. they simply say, they can't cook. so I have come to a conclusion: i am not compatible with these people. now no one even calls me anymore. hahaha, simply because i don't cook for them anymore. Now I know my own value to them. I am as good as a tandoori chicken to them.
hahahaha
AZB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Chatny in SD

What happened to "Chatny"?
Website says 'we are moving'....

donP

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Indian food!

I think we don't see Indian restaurants last very long because it is a very difficult business model in the Dominican Republic. Indian cuisine uses many spices, some of which are much more picante than the general population accepts. There aren't enough cosmopolitan DR1 users, South Asian expatriates, and tourists to keep a full service Indian restaurant going year round. I think that is why we see many more Italian restaurants and Dominican comedores. There is no harm in talking about it here every other year or so. Oh, the joys of chicken Bhuna, Tikka Masala, and Vegetable Samosas. Ok, now back to the reality of pollo guisado, sancocho, and moro con guandules. Bon apetit!

Hola...I searched through old threads, but to no avail. Does anyone know of any indian restaurants in Santo Domingo, Santiago or the North Coast. Heck, let's just make it anywhere in DR :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cuisine Sisters

Ok, now back to the reality of pollo guisado, sancocho, and moro con guandules. Bon apetit!

Oh, cuisine.....
I would have never thought that the Dominican Republic and Great Britain have something in common.... :laugh: :cheeky:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Indians in GB

Please note those wonderful Indian Masala dishes are probably GB cuisine
Chicken tikka masala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... and from your link I quote:

"The origin of the dish is unclear. One explanation claims that it originated in an Indian restaurant in the United Kingdom. Rahul Verma, a Delhi expert on street food, speculated in 2009 that the dish may have originated?probably by accident with subsequent improvisations?in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh during the last 50 years.
One claim recounts how a chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam (proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow), invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream and spices."

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
... and from your link I quote:

"The origin of the dish is unclear. One explanation claims that it originated in an Indian restaurant in the United Kingdom. Rahul Verma, a Delhi expert on street food, speculated in 2009 that the dish may have originated—probably by accident with subsequent improvisations—in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh during the last 50 years.
One claim recounts how a chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam (proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow), invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream and spices."

donP

Exactly 2 out of 3 possible explanations as to origin (yep Scotland is still part of GB).

It was not old traditional Indian cuisine as I understand it, but AZB correct me if wrong.

One thing for sure is that Brits love Indian food and you will find an Indian restaurant in virtually every town across the country.

Here in the Caribbean, such restaurants are less common despite the large ethnic Indian communities that can be found in Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana.....even Barbados.

My favorite is Indian Summer in Nevis and the link below shows you some of their mouth watering delights even though we can't enjoy them here but they can on an island of some 12,000.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indi...6826735352?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Murgh Palak

... Brits love Indian food and you will find an Indian restaurant in virtually every town across the country.

Well, that's probably what kept them alive and fed.... :laugh: :rolleyes: :cheeky:

Whenever I visited the "desert of good food" I mostly ate at Indian restaurants. :bunny:
I love Indian food.. Murgh Palak.... delicious

donP