The Age Old Question: SIgh.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)

Hello folks,

I've just returned from a four month vacation at home in the U.S. The electricity and hot water (and my three cats) were nice.
Now I'm back for a year. Yin and yang.

I recently helped my girlfriend (dominica) obtain a passport. What do you think are her chances of obtaining a U.S. travel visa? She has no job, no money, no assets. The best I can offer on her behalf is a paid round trip ticket. And she has family in Miami who we can stay with.

Now, my assumption is that her chances are nil. But this assumption is by hearsay. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's a grey area where it might be possible.

I'm hoping that some of you with more experience than I can fill me in on the likely outcome(s).

And, further, how do we proceed? Visit the U.S. Consulate in Santo Domingo? My girlfriend is convinced that a visa is possible. As a matter of ?relationship politics? I'm proceeding through the motions. If a government official tells her no, then I'm off the hook as far as her disappoint is concerned.

Plan B will be to find ANY country in the world from which she can obtain a visa. Taking her first flight and leaving the island for the only time in her life could be an exciting and eye-opening experience, for me, as well. But first we try Plan A, a U.S. tourist visa for her.

Please advise.

Regards,
lucas61

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
No job, no money, no assets. Let me guess, she loves to sleep in late and go shopping...... I am certain I have met her

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Immigration is looking for strong ties to the DR as an indication that she will return when she is supposed to. She doesn't appear to have any of those strong incentives to return so if she applies herself, you're probably right, the chances are slim.

However, you mention family in Miami. If those family members are direct relatives of hers and they have status in the US, they may be able to initiate the visa request and offer assurances/a bond that she will return to the DR voluntarily and on time.

As for visa restrictions for other countries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_...ments_for_the_Dominican_Republic_citizens.png

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Sorry no chance at all. Dont even try or get her hopes up. She should know this

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Am I reading this wrong, or is the OP almost looking for a way out? Using the term "off the hook" strikes me as 5 day-old fish.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
To get a tourist visa, you have to show things that prove attachments to the country and intentions to come back. You should also show that you have funds for your expenses abroad.
Having no job, no money, close relatives abroad, an American boyfriend, this all adds up negatively.

I doubt she'd get a visa.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sorry no chance at all. Dont even try or get her hopes up. She should know this

You would be surprised how many poor Dominicans get Visas. You may be correct that she will not get one, but you are incorrect that she has no chance.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
THere are over a million Dominicans between New York and Boston. They all got visas somehow!

But not with the specifications the OP gave us+ tourist visa.

The only jobless people I have known of getting tourist visas are students.

I do know plenty of poor people who have gotten visas, but they have a steady job, their own home, some savings, etc. The OPs gf has none of that.

Another way some people get visas is through attending a conference or seminar, but even for that you'd need a job.

Plus, remember that the requirement for going to the US are a lot different when someone is sponsoring you for an immigrant visa.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Interesting sidelight to this discussion.

Back in 2004, I arranged for a young lady who had a massive tumor on her leg to travel to the US where friends of mine had obtained the promise of free care for her from a religious hospital and a vascular surgeon. She got the visa, based on the supporting documentation, even though she didn't work, had no money, etc. She was given six months at entry, and left four months after arriving, once she recovered from the surgery.

She was in my office last week, asking me to help her get another visa to the US because she wanted to go there to work. She had no idea that it was not legal for her to work with a B1 visa. I told her it wasn't legal and that it was not something with which I could help her. She was very disappointed.

I find it a bit ironic that a Dominicana wanted to do exactly what the DR is claiming to want to put a stop to with people overstaying the tourist card or working here.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Interesting sidelight to this discussion.

Back in 2004, I arranged for a young lady who had a massive tumor on her leg to travel to the US where friends of mine had obtained the promise of free care for her from a religious hospital and a vascular surgeon. She got the visa, based on the supporting documentation, even though she didn't work, had no money, etc. She was given six months at entry, and left four months after arriving, once she recovered from the surgery.

She was in my office last week, asking me to help her get another visa to the US because she wanted to go there to work. She had no idea that it was not legal for her to work with a B1 visa. I told her it wasn't legal and that it was not something with which I could help her. She was very disappointed.

I find it a bit ironic that a Dominicana wanted to do exactly what the DR is claiming to want to put a stop to with people overstaying the tourist card or working here.

But this person had a tumor. I bet she had to provide proof of that, and also proof from the people abroad who'd support the surgery, right? I also know someone who was flown to Miami for a heart surgery when she was a kid.

I also find it Ironic that gringos complain about immigrants in their countries and what them deported, but want the DR, which is a poor country, to receive even poorer immigrants with open arms.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
To get a tourist visa, you have to show things that prove attachments to the country and intentions to come back. You should also show that you have funds for your expenses abroad.
Having no job, no money, close relatives abroad, an American boyfriend, this all adds up negatively.

I doubt she'd get a visa.

Exactly my thoughts. She has relatives in the US (red flag) which means she has somewhere
to stay and may not want to return to the DR.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
DIdn't the green card have a visa attached? If not they wouldn't get out of the airport would they?

As a US resident (green card) you do not need a visa. Just a passport and resident card.

No visa attached.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I also find it Ironic that gringos complain about immigrants in their countries and what them deported, but want the DR, which is a poor country, to receive even poorer immigrants with open arms.

I wasn't complaining about immigrants in the US. As a matter of fact, I told her that she should have her brother in the US petition for her to get a green card. I was mentioning the fact that she wanted to travel to the US as a tourist, and then work. This is exactly what the DR is trying to stop by putting such pressure on requiring residency.

Can you say "double standard?"

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Not all Fish. Many left the DR with green cards.

You need to have an immigration visa to get a green card. If you get an immigration visa and use it, customs notifies immigration, upon entry into the US, and immigration sends the green card about two weeks later.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
anything up for a sweetheart invite....you pay for it in u,s, she returns unmarried in specified time frame.... bingo gets visa next year to visit agaion...not as sweetheart but visitor visa...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
DIdn't the green card have a visa attached? If not they wouldn't get out of the airport would they?

They stamp a visa on your Passport, so that you can enter the US, and give you a sealed envelope that you have to give to the immigrations Officer. But this is a whole other type of visa, with a whole lot of different requirements. Anyway, the OP can?t sponsor his lady this way ?cause they?re not married.