Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default La Tambora Coffee is Good!

We spent yesterday in Santo Domingo, dropped dog at vet for spaying, then went our separate ways. I went to spend the day with an old girlfriend from NYC [GREAT lunch at Il Giardino Restaurant, front of El Embajador Hotel], and Mr. AE went to the big agro fair at the Feria Ganadera on the Malecon.

One of the companies with an exhibit there is selling their La Tambora Cafe, so Mr. AE bought 3 bags of roasted beans. Tried them this morning, and it is GOOD coffee. They come from Bani, we'll be going back to the fair to buy some more. Not sure if it's available in stores??????? Good price too, one pound was 200 pesos, a pound of Cafe Santo Domingo or Monte Alto is now 249 pesos in SD supermarkets.

I also got to meet BigBird yesterday, super nice guy, glad he decided to stay in SD and not abandon DR.

Admin
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure to have met you. Didn't mention it yesterday but you be wearing some mean rags. Translated that means you wear some very nice (expensive) clothing. Yellow is my favorite color and you sure looked good in it. Go Mr. AE.

Thanks for posting the name of the restaurant as that is now on my to do list.

I said to my taxi driver after he finished talking to you. Comprende? He goes Si....Si. I knew we were in trouble as we ended up at a Mexican restaurant and you and your friend were at an Italian restaurant. I couldn't do nothing but laugh.

3. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Another small coffee maker here is past Carefour on the way out of town. I can't remember the actual business name but one of the brands they sell is called Mama Inez. Its a lit more than the big names but its really good

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

WHEN EVER I DRINK "La Tambora" coffee, I get this pounding in my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

WHEN "MAMA INEZ" coffee first came out more than 10 years ago, the rumor was that the owner of the company wanted to name the coffee after his wife, but was advised not to!!!!!!!

His wife's name is "DORA"!!!!

THINK ON that one FOR A WHILE, ...YOU'LL EVENTUALLY "get it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Likes rubio_higuey, jinty05, N/A liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

hahahahahahahaha

MamaDora........................................

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I still don't get it. Both before and after cocktail hour.

9. Likes RV429 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    I still don't get it. Both before and after cocktail hour.
    Don't feel bad, I didn't get it either, had to ask Mr. AE, who smiled and then asked me where I heard it. He thought maybe I was mispronouncing something He cracked up when I told him, bad CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!

Admin
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Girlfriend makes coffee by putting sugared water into an expresso pot and adding Café-Tinto, which sells for RD$208 a pound. It does not taste like coffee I make using Café Llave (usually on sale around USD $2.00 for 10 oz.) in a French press, but it is pretty good. This tastes the same if you use Café Santo Domingo. I have tried Café Santo Domingo in my French press, but it does not seem to have any actual taste to it. Café Sto. Domingo sells for RD $220 lb. in Barahona and over US $6.50 here. It is never on sale here. Cuban brands like Bustelo, Llave and others are often on sale here in Miami, where Cubanos outnumber Domincanos.

The next step is using the French Press with criollo sugar ( the unwhite kind). Experimenting sometimes gets pretty good results.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are you buying anything resembling coffee for US $2/LB?
    Cafe Santo Domingo is garbage and $5/ LB.
    Me thinks you are making this up.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Where are you buying anything resembling coffee for US $2/LB?
    Cafe Santo Domingo is garbage and $5/ LB.
    Me thinks you are making this up.
    I see cheap junk "Latin" coffee in US supermarkets, you get what you pay for. And remember, he's only getting 10 oz, a hair over 1/2 pound.

BTW, the Cafe Santo Domingo Espresso grind isn't bad in a greca!

In DR we have a Cuisinart Burr Grinder, all the difference in the world using freshly ground beans. In NJ we have a SAECO Automatic, whole 'nother ballgame. Yeah, we love our coffee.

Admin
    DR1.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast