La Tambora Coffee is Good!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We spent yesterday in Santo Domingo, dropped dog at vet for spaying, then went our separate ways. I went to spend the day with an old girlfriend from NYC [GREAT lunch at Il Giardino Restaurant, front of El Embajador Hotel], and Mr. AE went to the big agro fair at the Feria Ganadera on the Malecon.

One of the companies with an exhibit there is selling their La Tambora Cafe, so Mr. AE bought 3 bags of roasted beans. Tried them this morning, and it is GOOD coffee. They come from Bani, we'll be going back to the fair to buy some more. Not sure if it's available in stores??????? Good price too, one pound was 200 pesos, a pound of Cafe Santo Domingo or Monte Alto is now 249 pesos in SD supermarkets.

I also got to meet BigBird yesterday, super nice guy, glad he decided to stay in SD and not abandon DR.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My pleasure to have met you. Didn't mention it yesterday but you be wearing some mean rags. Translated that means you wear some very nice (expensive) clothing. Yellow is my favorite color and you sure looked good in it. Go Mr. AE.

Thanks for posting the name of the restaurant as that is now on my to do list.

I said to my taxi driver after he finished talking to you. Comprende? He goes Si....Si. I knew we were in trouble as we ended up at a Mexican restaurant and you and your friend were at an Italian restaurant. I couldn't do nothing but laugh.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Another small coffee maker here is past Carefour on the way out of town. I can't remember the actual business name but one of the brands they sell is called Mama Inez. Its a lit more than the big names but its really good

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
WHEN EVER I DRINK "La Tambora" coffee, I get this pounding in my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

WHEN "MAMA INEZ" coffee first came out more than 10 years ago, the rumor was that the owner of the company wanted to name the coffee after his wife, but was advised not to!!!!!!!

His wife's name is "DORA"!!!!

THINK ON that one FOR A WHILE, ...YOU'LL EVENTUALLY "get it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
hahahahahahahaha

MamaDora........................................

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I still don't get it. Both before and after cocktail hour.

Don't feel bad, I didn't get it either, had to ask Mr. AE, who smiled and then asked me where I heard it. He thought maybe I was mispronouncing something :) He cracked up when I told him, bad CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!

Aug 6, 2006
Girlfriend makes coffee by putting sugared water into an expresso pot and adding Caf?-Tinto, which sells for RD$208 a pound. It does not taste like coffee I make using Caf? Llave (usually on sale around USD $2.00 for 10 oz.) in a French press, but it is pretty good. This tastes the same if you use Caf? Santo Domingo. I have tried Caf? Santo Domingo in my French press, but it does not seem to have any actual taste to it. Caf? Sto. Domingo sells for RD $220 lb. in Barahona and over US $6.50 here. It is never on sale here. Cuban brands like Bustelo, Llave and others are often on sale here in Miami, where Cubanos outnumber Domincanos.

The next step is using the French Press with criollo sugar ( the unwhite kind). Experimenting sometimes gets pretty good results.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Where are you buying anything resembling coffee for US $2/LB?
Cafe Santo Domingo is garbage and $5/ LB.
Me thinks you are making this up.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where are you buying anything resembling coffee for US $2/LB?
Cafe Santo Domingo is garbage and $5/ LB.
Me thinks you are making this up.

I see cheap junk "Latin" coffee in US supermarkets, you get what you pay for. And remember, he's only getting 10 oz, a hair over 1/2 pound.

BTW, the Cafe Santo Domingo Espresso grind isn't bad in a greca!

In DR we have a Cuisinart Burr Grinder, all the difference in the world using freshly ground beans. In NJ we have a SAECO Automatic, whole 'nother ballgame. Yeah, we love our coffee.

Aug 6, 2006
I assure that I am not. I did not say that the US coffee in the US was $2.00 a pound, I said that Caf? Llave, in the green pressurized foil brick wrap was often on sale for $2.00 for a 10 oz. package. It is pretty good by my standards, though you may not agree. A pound is 16 ounces, in the event you did not realize this. 10 oz is 62.5% of a pound, or 20? per ounce. That would make a pound sell for US$3.20. There are 16 oz packs available of Caf? Llave but it is only the 10 oz size that is ever on sale. Of course, nearly all coffee sold in the US is imported, and except that labeled Columbian, you do not know from where. Only Hawaiian Kona coffee is actually grown in the US. It is good, but very expensive. Less that the stuff run through the digestive systems of rare Malaysian lemurs, which I have never tried, but still overpriced in my book.

I apologize for having to explain these subtleties to you.

Unless you, or anyone, try a particular brand of coffee, you cannot be considered any sort of judge of its quality. If you run Santo Domingo coarse ground coffee through a blender, it has more flavor, but still less than Caf? Llave.

Again, all food is a matter of taste, and there is no reason to debate how what yoiu taste is better than what I taste. We all have different tongues.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Medaglia Dora Espresso is as low as I will go, Cafe Bustelo is bland.
I am looking forward to trying my namesake beans in May!
I grind most mornings @ Casa Tambo.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I assure that I am not. I did not say that the US coffee in the US was $2.00 a pound, I said that Caf? Llave, in the green pressurized foil brick wrap was often on sale for $2.00 for a 10 oz. package. It is pretty good by my standards, though you may not agree. A pound is 16 ounces, in the event you did not realize this. 10 oz is 62.5% of a pound, or 20? per ounce. That would make a pound sell for US$3.20. There are 16 oz packs available of Caf? Llavem but it is only the 10 oz size that is ever on sale.

I apologize for having to explain these subtleties to you.

Thanks for the explanation d_ _ chebag, I misread your post.

Aug 6, 2006
Then you should not have a reason for calling me a d__chebag, should you? You surely did not expect me to read it to you. Enjoy your coffee.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
and,...I'M STILL SITTING ON 3LBS. OF LAST YEARS CROP OF "CAFE OLIVO FAMILY" beans!!!

THANKS TO "CB"!!!!!!!!

I WAS SAVING IT TO TRADE WITH "MerengeDutchie" for some Cuban cigars, but he went directly to CUBA!!!!!

I WOULD trade for some "BRUGAL"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"dv"??????????????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm in :) but i don't know when can i come to SD. miesposo travels there often thou and he enjoys your company so he can seal the deal over rice, chicken and excellent beans.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
NEVER drink too much tea!!!!

An Indian Chief once drank 100 cups of tea!!!!!

The next morning he was found drowned in his own, "TEA PEE"!!!!!

That's the 2nd. time I got to use that this month here on "D-Ah-won"!!!

As "JD" says,...."Shows at 9 & 11"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I would love to try this La Tambora Coffee. I normally am stocked up with Cafe Santo Domingo, Bustelo, Cafe Du Monde and even some Dunkin D. While to each his own does apply with tastes of coffee, I disagree with those who snub Cafe Santo Domingo. And I do enjoy Monte Alto as well.
And trying Cafe Olivo Family sounds brilliant but alas I don't frequent cccccccc's neighborhood.
A lot of coffee snobs are around, eh.