A good money making opportunity Knocking>>.......

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Report exposes poor handling of biomedical waste
A report in Diario Libre by investigative journalist Tania Molina shows extremely casual handling of potentially dangerous biomedical waste in many of the country's hospitals and other healthcare centers. Despite "manuals", her research shows a lack of cooperation by almost all the parties involved in the disposal of these potentially dangerous waste products. At the beginning of her article, she describes seeing maintenance employees at the Oncological Hospital disposing of the red plastic bags assigned to hazardous biomedical waste without proper protection for themselves or the environment. When questioned, the employees refused to comment and questions addressed to the hospital's administration were not answered.

Other hospitals, such as the Dr. Salvador Gautier IDSS hospital, are better equipped to dispose of their biomedical waste. However, sources there revealed that employees sometimes refused to wear the protective gear required in the manuals issued by the ministries and international health organizations.

The reporter also points out that there is only one company that services only 13 health centers in the national district in the disposal of their medical refuse. An interesting note is that the local municipal governments are in charge of the disposal of ordinary waste (garbage) from hospitals, but the manuals require the hospitals themselves to dispose of their medical waste. Fetuses and body parts from amputations require burial in a cemetery, but are often found discarded in normal refuse. On the whole, everyone interviewed by the reporter agreed that there was a lot of room for improvement.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
How can anyone compete with the current services? Being able to offer is easy but competitive is not.

Good point. To be disposed of safely, medical waste needs to be incinerated. The cost of setting up such a plant would be very expensive which is probably why there are not many such companies already operating here. Incinerators are not cheap to operate, require mucho power which isn't cheap and will need to be serviced and parts supplied by foreign entities. Doesn't sound like a good return on the initial investment in the short term.

NoOneSpecific

Jan 27, 2014
If you had the money, your best system would be a gasification system that would allow you to use the waste as an energy source and in incinerating it thus you cleanly generate electricity which you then sell back to the grid. Also the heat exchange would allow you to condense the vapor and create clean ice for retail sale.

If you are paid a tip fee for the waste, any waste really, you are earning income on all fronts. You are paid for the waste, the electricity and the sale of the ice. Win all around

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've heard good things about gasification but I'm not sure the DR is a viable location for such a system at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the preferred cheap method is to put it all into a barrel and dump it at sea - I'm not suggesting this happens, just that I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I wonder what happens to the radioactive medical waste. Burning cant improve that.

If i knew what was polluting our DR environment i would be shocked, saddened, scared, ... and disappointed.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After working in the medical field here for 10 years I can tell you that "Medical Waste" is disposed of just like an empty "Brugal" bottle!!!!!
I used to watch street dogs eating their fill from the trash bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC