Santiago Airport by bus FROM Puerto Plata

Aug 31, 2011
I would like information with cost & duration of travel. (I'm using Caribe as example.. but I don't know if Metro works or not)

1. Caribe Tours from Puerto Plata ($150 RD): Depart 6:00 am -- Arrival time Santiago? ____________
2. Santiago Caribe Tour station How far away from Airport? _________
3. Transportation options from Santiago Caribe bus station to Santiago Airport.
A) Taxi $RD ________
B) walking? probably not an option, huh? :p
C) Gua Gua $RD ________
4. Best guess arrival time at Santiago Airport with above #3 options? A)________ B)______ C) ________

Duration of travel from Puerto Plata to Santiago Airport?____________

Thank you. If you have done this before, please let me know.

I have options already for friend driving me from Puerto Plata to Santiago Airport, and other taxi options, I just haven't found the scenario with buses outlined yet.

Thank you!!! I hope this will help others as well as myself on the forum.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I haven't done this for a while, but a taxi from the bus station should be six or seven hundred pesos. Forget walking, the airport is on the far outskirts of Santiago, on the way to La Vega.

I don't live in Santiago, so have no idea about guaguas that pass the airport.

As I recall, it was twenty or thirty minutes by taxi from the bus station to the airport. Since the Metro and Caribe bus stations are at opposite ends of the same street, and easy to walk between, you can use either one - the one that fits your schedule better.

Aug 31, 2011
There are two stations for Caribe in Santiago?

I once took Caribe Tours from Puerto Plata to Santiago, and with my Dominicana negotiating got a taxi to the airport for 500 pesos. Total time just over 2 hours. Ride to their second station in Santiago.

I'm In Puerto Plata going to Santiago. !

Coming from PP get off at the second stop?

Does Metro have the same route or is different... Closer to airport or not?

Thank you!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
second stop with caribe. it has already been said that both buses stop on the same street. they also travel the same route to santiago. so there is no such thing as "closer to the airport".
i would prepare for 2 - 2.5 hours total travel time, depending on the traffic.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Catch Javilla Tours to Santiago 120 pesos - 1 and half hours. Get off at the big Esso station known as the bomba, it's where the Mirabel sisters statues are. Tell the cobrador you want the PA car for the airport. Get in the PA guagua that takes you right to the airport for 40 pesos, about 30 mins. Make sure you tell the driver you want the airport as they have a shorter route they take if noone wants the airport. You will walk 100 yards to the airport. So you can do this in about 3 hours.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Take Caribe Tours or Metro to Santiago (2nd stop for Caribe Tours after 20 minutes at 1st stop, so if the time works, better to take Metro even though it costs a few pesos more.) Take a taxi from the bus terminal to the airport. If you don't speak pretty good Spanish, figure RD$700-800 for the taxi.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The OP (nor anybody else) mentions anything about any luggage, so hopefully the OP is not traveling with too much luggage... I have done exactly this once on a Sunday morning at 6am, the taxi takes very short time to arrive at this hour plus the street where both of them have stations in Santiago, is usually (always when I have been there) filled with taxis in decent condition. Caribe Tours might arrive slightly faster, but they drive without any control. Metro drivers are more human (just my opinion...). I would personally choose and recommend only Metro (as said by others, the routes after POP are exactly the same), I have once in my life used Caribe Tours, will not do that again. Even Javilla tours is better.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
From STI to POP, by bus, about 1.5 hour.

Don't buy a ticket arriving in the middle of the night. There's no bus to POP until 6:00am (Caribe Tours) and the last one is at 7pm. On the hour, each hour. Metro's first bus is at 9:15am, and the last at 7:15pm

Caribe Tours | Listado de Precios por Rutas

Metro ST Autobuses

There are some old schedules on travel websites, showing buses leaving up until 11p m.
The only way to head north from STI after 9pm, is get a taxi?
It almost cheaper to rent a car, isn't?

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
But he is going the other direction. POP to STI. Yes I'd rent a car one way for the trip and leave the car at STI. One of the big ones should have a North Coast orifice and a dropoff option at STI.

Yes, his inquiry was regarding traveling north to south.

I was curious about the other direction. Since some of the better flight deals are arriving after 8pm to STI. Are there rental offices open in POP, to leave the car, of companies located in STI? What is the last bus heading to POP from STI?

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Yes, his inquiry was regarding traveling north to south.

I was curious about the other direction. Since some of the better flight deals are arriving after 8pm to STI. Are there rental offices open in POP, to leave the car, of companies located in STI? What is the last bus heading to POP from STI?

Last time I flew in it was at 8 pm so I walked 100 yards to the right of the exit of the airport where the guaguas wait - ask someone where it is, they work until 10 pm - 50 pesos took me close to 30 de Marzo where I stayed in Hotel Monterrey for 800 pesos including breakfast. The javilla tours has a free bus from 30 de Marzo that takes you to the rotunda I.e. the javilla bus station. Ask the hotel for directions - 100 yards. All depends on your budget and luggage, as you can tell paying gringo prices is not a luxury I can afford, you know you budget.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
SkyBlues, you have provided the cheapest option I know of, thanks.

Does anyone know, what and were are the guagua routes between STI and POP? I realize it slower than the inter city buses.

Or ones between Dajabon and Las Terrenas.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Google Map Javilla Tours - it gave me the free bus stop from 30 de Marzo. BTW the bus has air con.Don't know the other areas.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Actually I just remembered there is a bus station for the Navarette - Dajabon route at 30 de Marzo, even closer to the hotel. Just shout out where you want to go and someone will drag you on to their bus and help you with your luggage.