so why the Dominicans....

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
..usually dont install anti mosquito nets in their windows ? Its really strange for me...Especially as such net cost around 10 usd ? few beers.
what is to blame on that matter ? cultural thing - not thinking about consequences or rather specific construction of the windows ?...or ? estetic reasons ?

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The Mosquito Lobby runs the show here, buzzing around the National Assembly with their pro-mosquito/anti-net lobbies.

I bet the Haitians are behind the financing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even at 10 bucks a pop it is not cheap to do all windows and doors in the house. and if you do not plan ahead they are also not easy to install (not enough room inside the frame).

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
strangely - it is not so difficult to install in other tropical countries....
and even if it is 100 $ for all windows, I think thats good price to not get bitten....
even at 10 bucks a pop it is not cheap to do all windows and doors in the house. and if you do not plan ahead they are also not easy to install (not enough room inside the frame).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those FB pictures of you in that red, white & blue speedo thong seem to suggest otherwise...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm sure like everything else installing window screens comes down to cost and practicality. During construction of gringo McMansions, if the owner orders windows with screens they get them. If these are not pre-ordered chances are when it comes time to install the glass, screening is not available without delays.

Locals living/building in the campo probably don't see much value in screens, because there are usually numerous other openings in the structure that will allow the mozzies entry to the house other than via the windows.

I like screens and prefer to install them. Others do not attach the same importance and choose to use that money elsewhere.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
..usually dont install anti mosquito nets in their windows ? Its really strange for me...Especially as such net cost around 10 usd ? few beers.
what is to blame on that matter ? cultural thing - not thinking about consequences or rather specific construction of the windows ?...or ? estetic reasons ?

Never understood that either. When I bought my apartment I insisted on screens in all the windows. What a concept?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
strangely - it is not so difficult to install in other tropical countries....
and even if it is 100 $ for all windows, I think thats good price to not get bitten....

there are people here for whom this 100 dollars is money impossible to gather. and, read again what i said: "if you do not plan ahead they are not easy to install". for example we cannot install them in our house. window frame and metal bars take all the room. we could maybe nail them to the window frame on the inside but how would i open the window then?

Aug 6, 2006
The typical Dominican lives in a home with a tin roof and there is normally a rather large (4 to 7 inches) gap between the roof and the rest of the structure, which is either concrete blocks or varying amounts of planks of termite riddled wood. He does not have , and the doors are usually open. Windows tend to be wooden jalousies or perhaps aluminum jalousies. There are normally no glass windowpanes. Mosquito netting would be very difficult to instal, and expecting the doors to remain closed all day would be unlikely, since this is not the custom. Putting a net over the beds has always been the usual mosquito protection, and most people do not do this. Treated mosquito nets are hard to find in the DR and most people do not have them.

This is what I have observed in the area W of the Capital.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
precisely.........

have you ever seen how the cover a newborn ??

its not that they don't know or don't care............. they just can't

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The typical Dominican lives in a home with a tin roof and there is normally a rather large (4 to 7 inches) gap between the roof and the rest of the structure, which is either concrete blocks or varying amounts of planks of termite riddled wood. He does not have , and the doors are usually open. Windows tend to be wooden jalousies or perhaps aluminum jalousies. There are normally no glass windowpanes. Mosquito netting would be very difficult to instal, and expecting the doors to remain closed all day would be unlikely, since this is not the custom. Putting a net over the beds has always been the usual mosquito protection, and most people do not do this. Treated mosquito nets are hard to find in the DR and most people do not have them.

This is what I have observed in the area W of the Capital.

The large gap serves to remove the hot air.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
precisely.........

have you ever seen how the cover a newborn ??

its not that they don't know or don't care............. they just can't

What are you talking about William? I see babies everyday , lots of them. Most are covered appropriately, most of the baby carriages have built in mosquito netting and sun shades, same with the cribs.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
No mosquito netting was fixed to our windows originally. Our windows do not have glass only persiani and metal bars, mosquito netting was fixed retrospectically by fixing a wooded surround to the concrete blocks outside then affixing the netting to that, it works very well. We bought the netting from a fereteria by the foot. Can't remember the cost but certainly was not expensive.