job opportunities

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Realistically, what are the job opportunities like for someone moviving to the DR?
I have a University education, do speak 2 languages, but one of them is not Spanish (this would be a major handicap, wouldn't it?). Can I get by with English and French?
Would there be jobs available that would allow someone like me to make enough to live on there?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Browse through the DR1 web site. Check the section on getting down to work at http://dr1.com/living/work.shtml

Also check out the economic indicators in the business section.

Finally, this topic has been covered extensively over the past years in the archives. Check the message board archives.

Finding a job is hard work, but many before have been successful, without knowing Spanish. Because the DR is a hospitable and very open society, if you have other marketable skills you may find a first job so you can afford to live here. From then on, it's up to you.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
jjsk

Not knowing spanish will greatly limit your chances for work here, although it can be done. It is relatively easy to find english speakers and live here without spanish, but to find a job is a little tougher.

The short answer to your question is that it is very difficult to just drop in and find work. It is possible, though, and many have done it before you.

What is your degree? What part of the island do you want to live on?

-m

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
thanks for the advice :)
my degree is in English, so language teaching might be a possibility. I also have some computer experience (though no formal school papers to prove my abilities). I would also look at a job performing at a hotel if necessary (I do dance as a hobby). Hell, I could do henna designs for the tourists on the beach if it paid enough. So I think the options are varied.
I am just considering if it's possible to even think about it at this point. Since Punta Cana is where I fell in love with the country, that's where my looking would start, but don't have any concrete ideas about where just yet....

Or would I be better off saving up some bucks here at home and buying a house or condo there that I could rent out by the week to tourists?

Last edited:

AmyG

Jan 2, 2002
Resort option...

If you speak French and English, you may want to check out employment at the Club Med in Punta Cana, as they are a French owned company. Many Europeans vacation at Punta Cana resorts, but Club Med seems to attract a largely French population.

It would be a fun place to work, at least for a while and what better way to learn Spanish! :)

Buenas suerte. (good luck)

tac01

Jun 17, 2008
jjsk...I moved here in 2006 and only spoke about 3 words in Spanish, and within 5 months I had a job. Is it easy, no, but it is very possible. I don't know who would tell you it will drastically reduce your chances by not speaking Spanish. This country thrives on tourism and with your degree in English, I believe, will only improve your chances. I hear all the time that there are places looking for English teachers because the quality of education, and the teachers, here is not good. When I arrived here I had many people asking me if I would teach English in one of the schools. Obviously I do not believe that I am qualified for such a position but that's just an example. Your French will help you out greatly here, especially in the hotel industry. I live here in Punta Cana and this area is growing rapidly so I would recommend starting there. Look in B?varo, Cap Cana, Uvero Alto and in Punta Cana...I'm sure you can find something!
Good Luck and if I can help in any way, just let me know