Depositing money in someone else's bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I didn't think it would be this hard. I need to deposit funds into the business account of my lawyer in Santo Domingo (I'm in Bavaro). I wrote a personal check (from my US bank) to the law firm and attempted to deposit the check into their account at Banco Popular. (I don't have an account at Banco Popular). The bank refused. They insisted the check had to be endorsed/stamped by the law firm. Really? Using Xoom will cost a fortune.

Anyone know of an affordable courier service to get something from Bavaro to Santo Domingo in a timely manner?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
If xoom or a basic bank wire (20-40 bux) will cost too much, you may just want to hop the bus and run it up there, about 20 bux and a day of your time.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Actually going to SD is my last resort. I'm almost certain I've deposited a personal check in someone else's account before. I'm just finding it odd the Banco Popular is refusing me. But then again, the rules are never the same nor consistent in the DR.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
so you do not have a casa de cambio that can change it into cash for you? I know that you will also take a hit on the cashing.. but perhaps they will accept pesos as well?

the banks here are not really used to checks. It is as if they have never seen them. I have a checking account but have had so many checks rejected.. that I do not use them any more.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Actually going to SD is my last resort. I'm almost certain I've deposited a personal check in someone else's account before. I'm just finding it odd the Banco Popular is refusing me. But then again, the rules are never the same nor consistent in the DR.

Well, good luck, and please post your final solution. I'm sure it would be helpful to others.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Metro pac can have it in Santo Domingo same day but can't send cash. If you have the cash, you just need their account number, bank and the name the account belongs to in order to deposit directly in their account

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
How big is the check? Using xoom costs $5.00 USD for sending up to $3000 USD, hardly a fortune unless you owe the guy a million.

Xoom is much more expensive than people think. They kill you on the conversion rate. In this scenario, I would be depositing into a US$ account. For US$2500 Xoom is charging US$50!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Have you thought about sending the check through Caribe Pack? I've used it to send, and receive important Documents and it's never failed.

And also, does it have to be a check? How about internet banking?

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Wire transfer the funds from your US bank to Banco Popular (unless there's a reason it can't be done in this particular case). I've done it many times from Citibank to BP, Banreservas and Scotiabank, USD transfer takes three days.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Do you know their account #? I remember one time I wanted to deposit some cash to someone else's bank account, I just walked into a branch of their bank and handed over cash and a note with name/account number. To the cashier it seemed like a very normal thing.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Do you know their account #? I remember one time I wanted to deposit some cash to someone else's bank account, I just walked into a branch of their bank and handed over cash and a note with name/account number. To the cashier it seemed like a very normal thing.

I do this every month with my rent payment.

I go to Popular (my landlord's bank) and give them the account number and how much I want to deposit. I can add a short message too.

Never had an issue and have done it more than 20 times.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Just try a diiferent branch, I've never had an issue and I've done exactly what you are trying to do many times, never had an issue, and yes you add your own reference if you like..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Depositing cash is much easier than depositing a check. If one is successful in convincing the bank to accept a check in USD drawn on a US based bank into the account of a third party, there will be a significant hold placed on those funds - often of 30 days or more.

It is the hold period that is probably causing the problems. If you do not have an account with the bank you are attempting to use, they will be very hesitant to accept your check as they really don't know who you are or have any recourse in getting any service fees from you if there is a problem with the check (not saying there will be, but the bank doesn't know that for sure).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Depositing cash is much easier than depositing a check. If one is successful in convincing the bank to accept a check in USD drawn on a US based bank into the account of a third party, there will be a significant hold placed on those funds - often of 30 days or more.

It is the hold period that is probably causing the problems. If you do not have an account with the bank you are attempting to use, they will be very hesitant to accept your check as they really don't know who you are or have any recourse in getting any service fees from you if there is a problem with the check (not saying there will be, but the bank doesn't know that for sure).

Imagine trying to cash a cheque from a Dominican bank in the USA. Would a person have the same difficulties if not more?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The OP is right - you can't even pay a cheque from another Dominican bank into a business account without a stamp and signature endorsement by the payee. In his case it is a cheque from an overseas bank.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
what about cash they wont refuse cash....or send it by bus.....the lawyer can pick it up or send a courier... s.d has them...alot of companies/drs/have one on payroll...

Status
Not open for further replies.