Tenant rights:

ginux1

Aug 21, 2014
Is there tenant rights in the DR when it comes to water inside a house/apartment?

If they are not repaired in a reasonable amount of time do you have any recourse?

basically the owner is delaying 30 days on end for fixing of water. most of the time completely non functional. Is there any tenant rights outside of the contract that stipulate minimum standards of living?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Unfortunately getting Dominican landlords to serve thier side of the deal once contract is signed should issues occur is like getting blood from a stone. Renting from foreign landlords is always best but obviously there are exceptions.
Best way to get them to man up is pay thier rent into a bonding account (so if you do never get anywhere can withdraw it back) and not to them until the work is done. This way they will man up or take action against you for none payment, in which case you can produce willingness to pay on the grounds that they repair the property, if infact the contract states you are not responsible for repairs. If you have this and he is responsible then you will have it sorted in your favour one way or the other.
Dominican landlords suck! (obviously with exception).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
When I was renting if it took long I told the landlord I'd fix it myself and deduct the cost from the rent, that would either make the mechanic show up the next day or she would say, yes go ahead.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
When I was renting if it took long I told the landlord I'd fix it myself and deduct the cost from the rent

Best, sometimes only, way to do it. If they get mad, what are they gonna do, kick you out!?! Plenty, lots, tons of available rentals on this island. Their loss!

ginux1

Aug 21, 2014
Unfortunately getting Dominican landlords to serve thier side of the deal once contract is signed should issues occur is like getting blood from a stone. Renting from foreign landlords is always best but obviously there are exceptions.
Best way to get them to man up is pay thier rent into a bonding account (so if you do never get anywhere can withdraw it back) and not to them until the work is done. This way they will man up or take action against you for none payment, in which case you can produce willingness to pay on the grounds that they repair the property, if infact the contract states you are not responsible for repairs. If you have this and he is responsible then you will have it sorted in your favour one way or the other.
Dominican landlords suck! (obviously with exception).

The contract does indeed state i am not responsible for repairs. In fact it stipulates i am NOT allowed to make major repairs such fixing water/water heating/water pressure. Only thing it does not outline an exact time for the landlord to complete it.

They are indeed foreign but extremely cheap. Do you have any advice on using a bonding account? I will do some research myself also.

When I was renting if it took long I told the landlord I'd fix it myself and deduct the cost from the rent, that would either make the mechanic show up the next day or she would say, yes go ahead.

As i just mentioned, wanted to respond anyway, that i am not able to make these repairs due to contract stipulations.

ginux1

Aug 21, 2014
The problem i guess also i am not to sure how the wording on the contract is, and how it would state he specifically needs to repair the water in a given time. It seems crazy to go on for days or weeks and not be able to live in a quality environment.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
T It seems crazy

You must be new here... :tired:

Money, and only money matter. Your landlord couldn't care less as to the quality of your living conditions. Take money from them at the end of the month, and hand them receipts. Otherwise, you will be waterless.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Do you have any advice on using a bonding account? I will do some research myself also.

It's just an Escrow account which is really just a third party account. Just go to banco popular and open a new savings account, I think they cgarge about 40pesos a month for a basic savings account, which is only the cost of a pencil. Once work is done close it or leave it, it will close itself in 3 months of no activity.
Just pay the rent into there, the counter guy will ask you if you wish to add a reference, just add a reference of something along the lines of 'withheld rent'.
Take photos or any physical evidence possible and a log of when you have contacted the landlord by letter, and brief rundown of your exchanges with them. That's it, the system is on the renters side.
It would not go to court, but just incase he is right tit, then his lawyer would request you pay the rent into an account via the court until the repairs are done, which is not big deal.

It's really no big deal, as soon as he knows you are exercising (know) your rights, which you do have when it fomes to withholding rent under these circumstances he will hsve it done within 24 hours.

1. Hand the landlord in writing your intention to withhold rent until repairs are done.
2. If not done in 24 hours or by rent day comes, get down the bank and open that account.
3. Relax, he knows you know your rights.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
With no water it's hard to use the bathroom.

Urinate and defecate in a bag and drop it on his porch or drivers side door of his car. You don't necessarily have to seal the bag, let the fun leak out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Live out your security deposit, but don't move out, let him take you to court and try to evict you, then show the court your written communications with him regarding the water, and his responses.
Courts favor tenants here BIG TIME!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Some of these guys are real hardcore, hard head cases, used to getting their way screwing over renters.

You have to play hardball right from the start so they understand you're not a victim and the price tag for screwing with you will be too high.

There are ways to sabotage appliances so that they don't fail until after a week or so after you've left.

PM me if this jerk escalates the problem.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
With no water it's hard to use the bathroom.

Urinate and defecate in a bag and drop it on his porch or drivers side door of his car. You don't necessarily have to seal the bag, let the fun leak out.

I am not an expert but I'm pretty sure that would get you shot here. Maimed or decapitated at best. But serious injury would be involved. If you do it next week your statistics could be included in the death pool if the moderator deems it accidental.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I am not an expert but I'm pretty sure that would get you shot here. Maimed or decapitated at best. But serious injury would be involved. If you do it next week your statistics could be included in the death pool if the moderator deems it accidental.

At 6'3 270 I usually make it through the day without a problem. Just giving practical advice to others.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
At 6'3 270 I usually make it through the day without a problem. Just giving practical advice to others.

In my past life I had the unfortunate experience of having to attend a corners inquest to verify the slugs that killed a 6'6" man that weighed just south of 300 lbs where what I sold to that police department.
Most guys your size could probably survive this type of shooting. Im just not sure why you would put yourself in harms way when there are so many options to choose from.
9mm or in my case .40 cal bullets will stop just about everyone. Looking the other way or just moving on to live another 30 or 40 years seems to make more sense than proving yourself to some Dominican ahole landlord.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
In my past life I had the unfortunate experience of having to attend a corners inquest to verify the slugs that killed a 6'6" man that weighed just south of 300 lbs where what I sold to that police department.
Most guys your size could probably survive this type of shooting. Im just not sure why you would put yourself in harms way when there are so many options to choose from.
9mm or in my case .40 cal bullets will stop just about everyone. Looking the other way or just moving on to live another 30 or 40 years seems to make more sense than proving yourself to some Dominican ahole landlord.

Who refused to fix the water, who escalated the problem, who decided to take things to a new level?

Try living with no running water as the landlord keeps saying 'manana' week after week.

As a gringo that enjoys the inherent benefits of white privilege I have limits. YMMV.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
As a gringo that enjoys the inherent benefits of white privilege I have limits. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

All I was trying to say is living a good long life is better than taking a head shot just because you need to be right in the heat of a moment.
There are hundreds if not thousands of decent rental properties on this island.
I get as pi***d off as the next guy but I am not going to risk my life just to prove a point.
I am not nor will I ever be a landlord but if you left a bag of pooh poo on my car it wouldn't turn out good.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Life is interesting in that actions beget reactions.

People that abuse other people are, ultimately, asking for help in unintended ways.

And it wouldn't be the first time we invaded this country over bad manners, would it?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You are obviously very proud of your size for whatever reason, but I would guess you need a little education on how to get things accomplished in DR. Taking anything to a personal level in DR when money is involved is very silly. Especially over a rental contract when he is within his rights all the way on this, the system will back him completely.

Schoolboy halloween trick or treat tactics are not required in this:ermm: