Tarrif at the airport when visitors leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I say keep the exit fee.

If you get rid of it the alternative is deportation/no return.

What say you?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well I dunno. I didn't bother renewing my residency for obvious reasons and upon leaving this last time was given a yellow receipt to show proof of payment, then you are required to go back to control to get stamped once the receipt is shown.
The short time before that my residency had run out only by a month or so but I hadn't been out of the country for a few years, and so should have been charged quite heftily, but the guy just said don't worry about it and waved me through.

If they make you pay full wack then demand the yellow receipt, or it's going in thier pocket. The system is obviously now completely computerized as my passport was scanned and the amount calculated like this rather than them looking through the pages for stamps.

Years ago, it was nothing like this, seems to be huge improvements to the system.

As far as what to do, well, it's mickey mouse double standards and so will always be a joke until the physically throw all none legal Haitians out, and make sure they can't come back, never happen. Or get rid of ghe border and live as one, never happen. Conclusion, doesn't matter.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I will just pay the exit fee until Immigration figures out a short term visa program - a less than one year visa would be perfect.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
They needs to charged a fixed fee and it should not be over $100.00 US.

I do not believe there should be any fee. They are basically saying you can n8t have a vacation for longer than 4 weeks, and pump money into our economy unless you pay us for the priveledge of eating our 3rd rate food, while being ptotected by our 5th rate public servants while paying crippling taxes while enjoying our none existant culture. DR should be embracing longer term tourism, not taxing it at every possible oportunity. That in itself is as stronger Dominican culture as anyone will ever experience in DR, she certainly got that right.
Haiti is a different kettle of fish, my overall sympathy for thier plight was massively reduced when I saw them burning the Dominican flag, just as it was after the quake when I saw them robbing aid trucks and assaulting aid volunteers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't see it as limiting a vacation to 4 weeks, the country is trying to identify (regulate , if you will) the flow of foreigners.

Can we think of any country that allows foreigners/visitors unlimited visiting access?
Should we expect island countries to be more benevolent? to consider the cold suffering tourist ?

Unchecked flows of foreigners can lead a small country down a dangerous path.

They need to know who's here and for how long....
allowances can be made for those wishing longer or semi-permanent stays
Provided that visitor declares himself.... and why shouldn't they ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't see it as limiting a vacation to 4 weeks, the country is trying to identify (regulate , if you will) the flow of foreigners.

Can we think of any country that allows foreigners/visitors unlimited visiting access?
Should we expect island countries to be more benevolent? to consider the cold suffering tourist ?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

There is no need to put a price on this. It is easy to keep tabs by doing as they are now and computerizing the whole system. They knew exactly how long I'd been there by scanning my passport, which is futuristic t3chnology as far as DR goes, in my eyes.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
I have no issue with the "extended tourist" fee. I wish I could pay upon arrival - tied to my return fight ticket and passport. If I can get 29 days with $10 CDN then I should be able to get 179 days with $60 .

Aug 6, 2006
I do not believe there should be any fee. They are basically saying you can n8t have a vacation for longer than 4 weeks, and pump money into our economy unless you pay us for the priveledge of eating our 3rd rate food, while being ptotected by our 5th rate public servants while paying crippling taxes while enjoying our none existant culture. DR should be embracing longer term tourism, not taxing it at every possible oportunity. That in itself is as stronger Dominican culture as anyone will ever experience in DR, she certainly got that right.
Haiti is a different kettle of fish, my overall sympathy for thier plight was massively reduced when I saw them burning the Dominican flag, just as it was after the quake when I saw them robbing aid trucks and assaulting aid volunteers.

If you really feel this way, why do you come to the DR?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
So you believe that they can run a country successfully with a double standards policy on who is staying there without legal documentation?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If you really feel this way, why do you come to the DR?

It is not 'me' feeling this way, they are facts about the DR. The food DR receives is the crap nowhere else will accept, the police are legalized gangbangers and anything of quality you wish to bring in from elsewhere is taxed to the heavens. Why do you say 'if I feel this way', if you live in DR then you should also feel the same as it is the reality.
And my reasons for living in DR had absolutely nothing to do with the country.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
It is not 'me' feeling this way, they are facts about the DR. The food DR receives is the crap nowhere else will accept, the police are legalized gangbangers and anything of quality you wish to bring in from elsewhere is taxed to the heavens. Why do you say 'if I feel this way', if you live in DR then you should also feel the same as it is the reality.
And my reasons for living in DR had absolutely nothing to do with the country.

I think she is right but not at all, we need to make rules like in other countries, the way we are doing now tells is ok if you over stay just pay a fee before you leave when in the civilized countries if you want to overstay you have to ask to the inmigration department for an extention of your visa or stay in casa that you dont need a visa. If you brake that rule then you can be deported or not let you come in the country if you visit next time.

We need the tourist but just because that doesnt mean that we can not have rules like every body else, just because you are bringing money to the country you can do whatevery you want.

Is simple, ok you can stay here for 30 months, if you want overstay ask inmigration for overstay permit, and them pay a fee for your overstay depending on how long you want overstay. problem solve.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think she is right but not at all, we need to make rules like in other countries, the way we are doing now tells is ok if you over stay just pay a fee before you leave when in the civilized countries if you want to overstay you have to ask to the inmigration department for an extention of your visa or stay in casa that you dont need a visa. If you brake that rule then you can be deported or not let you come in the country if you visit next time.

We need the tourist but just because that doesnt mean that we can not have rules like every body else, just because you are bringing money to the country you can do whatevery you want.

Is simple, ok you can stay here for 30 months, if you want overstay ask inmigration for overstay permit, and them pay a fee for your overstay depending on how long you want overstay. problem solve.

Which begs the question we all ask every year. Who is paying these morons for trying to fix something that seems to work better than any alternative. It's just moronic, the Haitian thing needs to be dealt with separate, no other foreigner feels hard done by because of this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Which begs the question we all ask every year. Who is paying these morons for trying to fix something that seems to work better than any alternative. It's just moronic, the Haitian thing needs to be dealt with separate, no other foreigner feels hard done by because of this.

All people have to be treated equally. Haitian or otherwise. There can be no separate fixes.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
as far as the legality, dr1's own dolores talked about it in 2005: http://dr1.com/forums/government/41067-migration-charge-extended-stays-illegal.html

Interestingly found this answer to a question about extending ones tourist visa beyond the 30 days on the DR Embassy, London website under consular services FAQ's.

What if I want to stay longer than 30 days?

If you decide to extend your stay in the Dominican Republic, you need to visit the nearest Migration Department in Santo Domingo to request an extension. You will need to pay from about US$5 to US$100 depending on the length of stay. The fee can also be paid at the airport upon departure.

Very clearly they have never updated their website in years....................... but the suggestion here is that the exit tariff was effectively a visa extension fee.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I agree that this whole issue of overstay fees is moronic.......

2 points.

#1. Is it necesseray to regulate the flow of foreigners ??? Yes and no.
Yes if they come to earn money ( ie, work ), No if they come to spend money ( ie, vacation ). Simple.

#2. Some of u will say "ah but expats use the ( non existent / poorly maintained ) infrastructures......".
Easy way around, same as in every civilised country........ efficient tax system.
Income tax, for people earning money in the dr
AND
Habitation tax, for people living in DR, with 2 sepretate taxes. Owner tax and actual living tax.

So if u work and own a house in the dr, u pay income tax and the 2 habitation taxes.
If u dont work and rent a condo, u pay only one part of the habitation tax, the owner pays the other.
If u dont live in the dr but own propety to lease out, u pay 1 of the habitation taxes.....

That system would have the advantage of getting EVERYONE to pay their fair share of taxes...........thus the anachronical overstay fee would be obsolete......

Just saying.....

Status
Not open for further replies.