Can you swim in the water off the Malecon in POP?

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
We have some folks visiting from out of the country and will probably want to hit the water in this area. Is it safe? Sewage etc.?
We plane to go to other beaches miles from here but we live in POP.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
At the end of the Malecon there are some beach kiosks - you can also use the beach there and go into the ocean.

However, keep an eye on your possessions and go no further than knee-high since there can be undertow currents. The red/black flag may or may not be flown to warn you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of course you can, you could even "swim" in a letrina. i stepped into the water a handful of times, the "sand" was basically a nasty slime. i would not risk dipping my coochie in that vile water, not to mention the face.

so the answer is: you can, but i will not.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have lived three minutes from the beach for five years. Never been in once. You never see gringos in the water and relatively few locals, even when it blazing hot and the Malecon is teeming with people.

There is a nice family beach at Cofresi and clean public beaches adjacent to Playa Dorada to the west and east. If you look like gringos you can probably bluff your way onto the Playa Dorada beach.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If you have some transport than Costambar, Playa Dorada, Cofresi and even Sosua (a bit further out) are good.

When answering I was under the impression you inquired about the Malecon beach. No matter what others say, I've seen plenty of locals use the beach in the area at the far end of the Malecon (closest to the baseball stadium). There are also kiosks there for beverages.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
locals can do lots of stuff foreigners cannot. they certainly have better immunity systems. i think the ocean off the malecon is not a good place to enjoy your holidays.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The end of the Malecon area is called Jones Beach. Yes, locals do go in the water there. You can, I wouldn't. Plenty of beaches close by as mentioned above.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
We have a special gringo beach in Samana City that's cordoned off with a watchy man. It's where they send the people paying $400 USD per night for a hotel room so it's pretty clean. If you're feeling adventurous you can walk 20 feet past the watchy man and have a drink at the outdoor bar.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
id be very careful, i believe i caught gonorrhea while swimming off the malecon in POP. when i received anti biotics from the doctor he shook his head and told me to find a new swimming hole to play in. good luck

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
id be very careful, i believe i caught gonorrhea while swimming off the malecon in POP. when i received anti biotics from the doctor he shook his head and told me to find a new swimming hole to play in. good luck

Be careful where you go diving.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Your girlfriend/boyfriend is *****ng your doctor :laugh:

Cash

May 16, 2013
I wouldn't go in the water at Cofresi either as there is an open sewer
running into the bay halfway between Lifestyle's and Ocean World.
Was there the other day and the smell drove us away.
Anywhere in Puerto Plata is a no go as far as I'm concerned.
Sosua is a dump. The bay is fairly clean though.
All of Cabarete is pretty clean, no noticeable open sewers.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Years ago sewage was pumped into the ocean toward the port end of the Malecon, it used to stink down that end and you would see dead animals floating around but I think that it has cleared up at that end. Towards the other end, as everyone has mentioned, there are kiosks, and close to these kiosks are public toilets....now where does the septic waste from these toilets go? And where does the dirty water from the restaurant/bar kiosks go? I don't know the answer to this, but somehow I doubt they have septic tanks! Think twice about entering the water nears these locations!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Go to Sosua. Ita a bay. No under tow or dangerous currents. Water is clean. I did have a worn out pair of Crocs stolen when I left them on the beach during a swim. Thief must have been desperate for shoes. Its especially nice in the late afternoon when the sun is less strong and you can enjoy the sunset with views of Mt. Isabel.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
NO NO NO NO. I have walked around PP down where the open sewers empty into the port next to the fort. Thats why its called "aguas negras" the Dominican kids walk around in open sewers. I would not recommend swimming there.
Not my first or second option...maybe my turd