came across this bloomberg article this morning

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
"Dimanche said she is regularly harassed by police who stop her and ask for her national identity card and by citizens, who call her “Haitian” and “negra,” a slur for black women."

I call BS.

Just trying to figure out which NGO wrote this article and paid Bloomberg to print it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the woman in 27 years old and she never bothered to get birth certificate?
and "negra" is not a slur but a description, it used to be included in the cedula, under "piel".

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
as bloomberg is dedicated to english speaking US guys, negra is so close to the other word that is so wrong in US:
"nigger". So that makes them (potential readers) think and will get them shocked....
and "negra" is not a slur but a description, it used to be included in the cedula, under "piel".

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That s journalism ?

1200x-1.jpg

That's what I called a very well attended protest.:bunny:

Jul 28, 2014

Neither is Negrita a slur, my D.R. girlfriend calls herself that all the time

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
it's funny how they write, on the dominican position on citizenship: "The tension on immigration stems from a September 2013 ruling by the Dominican Republic’s highest court that children of undocumented immigrants are not eligible for citizenship even if they were born on Dominican soil."

And on the Haitian: "To be sure, many of those affected are probably eligible for citizenship in Haiti, which recognizes jus sanguinis, or blood right, citizenship. Dimanche believes that may be her only choice.",

It reads like if Haiti has the more humane policy, but it's actually the very same thing. You can be dominican if you have a dominican parent, you can be Haitian if you have a Haitian parent.

This one is also very "subtle": "“We have done everything that we had to do under the process,” Gonzalez said in a news conference after the registration process ended."

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jus sanguinis is standard in europe, nothing out of the ordinary in terms of citizenship laws.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
jus sanguinis is standard in europe, nothing out of the ordinary in terms of citizenship laws.

of course it, but they make it look like if Haiti has some more generous policy in the way they word the sentence, opposed to the way they worded the same policy in DR. The superficial reader will stay with the impression that the DR are a bunch of unethical, selfish, abusive people and the Haitians the poor, abused, suckers.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I second the BS. While Haitian can be deragotory, negra is not. It's most often used a a term of endearment such as honey, babe, darling, etc.

"Dimanche said she is regularly harassed by police who stop her and ask for her national identity card and by citizens, who call her ?Haitian? and ?negra,? a slur for black women."

I call BS.

Just trying to figure out which NGO wrote this article and paid Bloomberg to print it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She couldn't have received her high school graduation without a birth certif?cate and she wouldn't be accepted into nursing school either. I call bull.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this, and siblings in med and dental school. why is it never about single mother of 4 selling her lechoza in la choza? a small fry criminal? good for nothing bleached hair gringa coochie sucker?