Movers

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Anyone have any experience with Mudanzas Dominicana moving company?

We are moving this weekend and need a mover.

Also looking for a handyman to uninstall and reinstall two AC's 3 ceiling fans and a washer/dryer

As you can tell I am definitely not a handyman.

I think I can handle re hanging the pictures.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This fellow approached me in STI at thew monument parking lot.... we were both parked in the shade

he has 4 trucks, he said and works the whole country
Transporte Palaez
Benjamin 809-764-1291 (809-626-7262)

Nice young guy, he may remember me as the gringo from Cabrera - he was born in Nagua

I have no experience with him but he seems genuine... an empresario.....

worht a try, he said would bring my purchases in SD to Cabrera... Ilumel, etc

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
This fellow approached me in STI at thew monument parking lot.... we were both parked in the shade

he has 4 trucks, he said and works the whole country
Transporte Palaez
Benjamin 809-764-1291 (809-626-7262)

Nice young guy, he may remember me as the gringo from Cabrera - he was born in Nagua

I have no experience with him but he seems genuine... an empresario.....

worht a try, he said would bring my purchases in SD to Cabrera... Ilumel, etc

I called your guy. He is a bit agressive, kept asking me how I got his number. He wants 9000 pesos to move it move it. lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ooops , sorry... no experience as I said but worth a call....I hope

Gringo from Cabrera is how you got the number.... Canadian

Reference point is 9,000 pesos and searching.............

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a truck pick uyp some furniture for me at Ilumel in SD and bring it to Cabrera.....

I spoke with a fellow in Cabrera with whom I do a lot of business - his truck.

This involved a trip to SD , load and return to Cabrera... 5-6 hrs

after some discussion , he did it for 8,000 pesos.
Considering gas, tolls, etc - I thought it was fair and he got paid well enough for his time.

As Mike says, where is this trip and how long will it take and how many men does it call for- or will you /your family do all the heavy lifting?

Three men for a day will be about 1500 pesos - then the driver, the truck ,the gas, etc

after 2-3 quotes you'l have a feel for the cost

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this has me thinking...

I had the misfortune to need movers 2x in 6 months...
a relocation for me and my mother died 4 months later... her house and mine were emptied.

it ain't cheap.... my 2 were US and Canada.

I think movers have the game figured out.

A move usually has a time frame, a sense of urgency attached to it.
Be it a lease expiry, a sale, a death... whatever

The price reflects this..... a move will be a move...
I got prices and found there was little difference normally except the cheap guys looked cheap and I was fearful of damaged furniture
That will negate any savings I chased

Safer is better.....

My 2 pesos.......
confidence that the move will be smooth and accident free is important, more than the money

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
this has me thinking...

I had the misfortune to need movers 2x in 6 months...
a relocation for me and my mother died 4 months later... her house and mine were emptied.

it ain't cheap.... my 2 were US and Canada.

I think movers have the game figured out.

A move usually has a time frame, a sense of urgency attached to it.
Be it a lease expiry, a sale, a death... whatever

The price reflects this..... a move will be a move...
I got prices and found there was little difference normally except the cheap guys looked cheap and I was fearful of damaged furniture
That will negate any savings I chased

Safer is better.....

My 2 pesos.......
confidence that the move will be smooth and accident free is important, more than the money

or the cheap mover truck breaks down somewhere middle highway with your belongings out there on a unlocked truck all night long til a "mechanic" fixes the troubles, lol.
yes, reliability is a factor involved, specially when moving over a distance. like from the east to the Capital, or the south to the northshores etc.
it is different when moving within the same area, get from a friend a pick up truck and do 20 rides if needed, 2000.- pesos will get you a group of guys to do the heavy stuff all day long.
depends from where to where to move.

Mike

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
if you are talking about MUDOM (Mudanzas Dominicana) in Santo Domingo, yes I have very positive experience with them, with very reasonable prices.

yes they seem professional. we booked them for monday. it was going to be saturday but the paint fumes are still too strong. they brought us boxes today to pack.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
9.000.- pesos is relative, may be expensive and may be a good deal.
from Where to Where do you move?

Mike

the move is going to be from santo domingo to another part of the city but my wife bought a dinette from her cousin in la vega. in the apt we were in we never had space for one, now we do. it is a decent haul from la vega to here so i think it will definitely be in this range.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great to hear you got it arranged.
so, just for the info purpooseof this topic for other future movers in your area,
waht do they charge you and what is included? how many guys to carry stuff, you mentioned boxes provided for the move etc.
i know dominican people here on the east, not business owners, just normal people moving a household, where most of the moving/carry part is done by themsleves, who pay for a simple small Camion with a driver and a 2nd guy to help moving stuff, without boxes or such provided, 3.000.- pesos and up for a move in the same near area of just a few miles.

good luck and enjoy the new place

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
so, just for the info purpooseof this topic for other future movers in your area,
waht do they charge you and what is included? how many guys to carry stuff, you mentioned boxes provided for the move etc.
i know dominican people here on the east, not business owners, just normal people moving a household, where most of the moving/carry part is done by themsleves, who pay for a simple small Camion with a driver and a 2nd guy to help moving stuff, without boxes or such provided, 3.000.- pesos and up for a move in the same near area of just a few miles.

Mike

I paid to those stationed in front of BPD Cruce de Veron sometime 6000 DOP for our move from Bavaro to Higuey... These idiots broke almost all they could manage. :mad::p Thanks god I moved my computers and really important stuff in my car...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
the move is going to be from santo domingo to another part of the city but my wife bought a dinette from her cousin in la vega. in the apt we were in we never had space for one, now we do. it is a decent haul from la vega to here so i think it will definitely be in this range.

Please report the outcoming and price if possible. I asked for a proposal for a move from Higuey to Santo Domingo online via their webpage and did not hear back (yet) from them nor did I get a confirmation to my message... not very professional I must say...

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013

Mike

We have a 3 bedroom with the normal fixings, beds, fridge, sectional, stove etc etc. They quoted $8,000 pesos for their big truck and I am not sure how many guys but I would think 3 but it might be 2. They charged 50 pesos per box and they brought the boxes to my wifes school. At mailboxes etc they wanted 300 pesos per box. I think the biggest factors here will be:

1. Do they show up on time
2. Do they get everything on the truck without damaging anything
3. Do they have bad attitudes
4. Do they get everything in the new house without damaging it
5. Do they cry for more money

I am expecting at least 2 out of the 5. I will let everyone know how it goes after the move. From my experience with moving companies in the US, specifically Philadelphia and New Jersey I am nervous to say the least.

Ed-

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Please report the outcoming and price if possible. I asked for a proposal for a move from Higuey to Santo Domingo online via their webpage and did not hear back (yet) from them nor did I get a confirmation to my message... not very professional I must say...

The quote was for $8,000 pesos and we are going from the Alameda, the start of prolongacion 27 to Colinas del Oeste, not sure exactly but I think that is less than 5 miles. The description we gave to them of what we have was a bit vague but they said they are sending their biggest truck, I am still expecting that once they arrive they will cry for more money, that seems to be the norm here.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The quote was for $8,000 pesos and we are going from the Alameda, the start of prolongacion 27 to Colinas del Oeste, not sure exactly but I think that is less than 5 miles. The description we gave to them of what we have was a bit vague but they said they are sending their biggest truck, I am still expecting that once they arrive they will cry for more money, that seems to be the norm here.

they will send their "biggest" Truck, and if not everything fits they will ask for an other 8.000.- for the 2nd ride and for an other addy in case their "big" truck has to do a 3rd ride.
just a thought, for things to be expected.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I doubt that you can hire a truck with men for much less.

I wasn't surprised at my man's 9,000 pesos, -- even though you were.

sounds like the prices are all similar...... which should surprise no one.
the notion that these guys aren't good at business is false.

Gas and trucks are costly here.........