Adult/Infant CPR Classes

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Are Adult/Infant CPR classes offered in DR? Searched online, but to no avail. I know there are few folks here who have medical/healthcare backgrounds. Any insight/info you can provide will be appreciated.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans don't like to touch sick or injured people.
They are afraid they will be blamed for anything that happens to them.
They will gather by the hundreds to watch you die, or stare at your dead body!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Dominicans don't like to touch sick or injured people.
They are afraid they will be blamed for anything that happens to them.
They will gather by the hundreds to watch you die, or stare at your dead body!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Will they actually be blamed? Are there any good Samaritan laws for protections in the DR?
If a local or gringo provides assistance to Dominican, and the person dies. Does the Gringo get charged criminally or sued? Will the lawsuit be ruled against a gringo?

Is it best to watch and not help?

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Are Adult/Infant CPR classes offered in DR? Searched online, but to no avail. I know there are few folks here who have medical/healthcare backgrounds. Any insight/info you can provide will be appreciated.

Where are you located?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Will they actually be blamed? Are there any good Samaritan laws for protections in the DR?
If a local or gringo provides assistance to Dominican, and the person dies. Does the Gringo get charged criminally or sued? Will the lawsuit be ruled against a gringo?

I hope someone knowledgeable answers this.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
@DV8...thanks, I will contact them...

@KateP...I am in Santiago, but willing to travel to take a course.

@CCC...you are probably right, but I wanted to take the course primarily to take care of my own family...

I am constantly told by expats who have lived here MANY years do not stop and help people bc gringos will be made to pay for what ever injuries have happened and may be thrown in jail bc of course they will be at fault. I Think for new people it is a good idea to follow this advice. Doms will always come on by and help their fellow peeps out, maybe not CPR or whatever but they help out.

For me it depends on the situation but to think that there are Good Samaritan laws here would be very naive. Help out at your own risk!!

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I am constantly told by expats who have lived here MANY years do not stop and help people bc gringos will be made to pay for what ever injuries have happened and may be thrown in jail bc of course they will be at fault. I Think for new people it is a good idea to follow this advice. Doms will always come on by and help their fellow peeps out, maybe not CPR or whatever but they help out.

For me it depends on the situation but to think that there are Good Samaritan laws here would be very naive. Help out at your own risk!!

My next question is, has any gringo actually been force or attempted to be forced by the judicial system? Was there no recourse left but to pay after appearing in court.

I trying to discern factual accounts from general rumor on the issue of providing help.
I notice in general, it is best not to be a position were the outsider can be a target for financial exploitation.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Right now I could do something unofficial for you, no certification. I am qualified to teach the class, but don't have the equipment or association with a training center.

This summer, going back and getting equipment and the videos! I even found a translator who speaks fluent Creole, English, and Spanish and has some medical knowledge. Going to start doing classes on the North Coast late summer/ early fall. Some volunteer, some for a fee.