fresh oyster mushrooms in jose luis

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
420 pesos per pound. this is the first time i ever saw those in DR so i immediately bought a package. in poland we batter them in egg and bread crumbs and then fry. miesposo was skeptical at first but said they were delicious and had 2 helpings. i will definitely buy more next time.

i am glad to see that jose luis is upping their game with the selection of products they sell. recently i always sneak something extra in out shopping trolley.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
National had them a few times but I found I had to buy carefully bevasise one time they were gooey blubs from having been frozen in transit. The good news is I told the store manager of the problem I had and he refunded the cost without a receipt and without the fouled product!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i guess in the big world you get those special items more often. but every time i see something special here in POP i buy it. usually it's cherries and raspberries but i am happy to pay premium price for any premium food, if i can find it.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Everybody at the gringo compound here in Samana does secret supermercado missions to snag the rare good stuff items that pop up occasionally.

Last week was Ginger Ale and Four Cheese Mexican shredded cheese from Kraft. Gone in one day.

It's all very hush-hush.

I would jump all over oyster mushrooms, or any fresh mushrooms for that matter, and re-sell it to my neighbors at triple the price. Like having a stash of Ramen Noodles in prison to supplement income.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
things gringos do... i've been known to clean the shelves after i encountered a rare find. :laugh:

May 29, 2006
I wonder if you can import the log kits for growing your own. Find a dead tree, drill holes into it, then pound the spore starter into it. Button mushrooms grow in sterile horse manure and is more complicated, but there are many kits out there.

Mushroom Kits - Fungi.com

Are there native types of mushroom that are sought after? It's a huge hobby throughout most of Europe.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Super Pola often has mushrooms in Sosua.....
bought some yesterday

Should I drive them to Samana - and set up a roadside stand ?