Senseless deaths

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We live in a beach town on the south coast, loud beach parties/music every weekend, but really quiet otherwise. Nothing much happens here. The violence of other places seems to have found us lately.

Two nights ago, at 3.30 a.m., the alcalde [our neighbor] awoke to someone banging on his door. It was his young neighbor, come to tell him he had just killed someone. He and his friend had gotten into an argument over a piece of stuffed bread, and he snapped - slit his throat and then stabbed him repeatedly around his face and upper torso. Then he refused to let anyone near the body. [Our female rottie does that when she kills an animal, she kind of guards it and no one can get near it.]

These boys were friends for years. The killer is the grandson/son of our produce sellers here, and the victim is the grandson of our veterinarian. Both early 20s. The killer has disappeared in all the confusion, and the victim's family is understandably angry and looking for revenge. Wherever he is, if he values his life he'll never come back here.

A couple of weeks ago, a Haitian woman stabbed and killed a Dominican man who had a small stand selling baked goods just down the road from us. Over an argument over a purchase.

Senseless doesn't even begin to describe this. Disturbing on so many levels.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Gallos y Tigueres

It happens everywhere (in the Dominican Republic).
A few days ago a young guy was stabbed to death in Las Terrenas over a few pesos.
I guess, it's their culture.... :tired:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see plenty of this in the news. people kill over parking space, leftover meal, 5 pesos change and god knows what else. just today there is this: H?ctor Alejandro M?ndez Peguero, de 19 a?os, muri? tras recibir una pedrada en la cabeza que le lanz? su t?o Wilkin Peguero durante una discusi?n porque su sobrino le hab?a sustra?do un par de tenis.
some people lack any control over their actions.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
They need very badly a small claims court. People want justice small or large. If they had some other means of rectifying small wrongs they could have a legal base to get justice for what they now take into their own hands and it escalates into violence. Many changes needed here.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
They need very badly a small claims court. People want justice small or large. If they had some other means of rectifying small wrongs they could have a legal base to get justice for what they now take into their own hands and it escalates into violence. Many changes needed here.

I can see it now...'Judge Judy: Pequeno Peso El Tribunal'

As for the OP, I suppose it happens when people live for the present and with no thought of tomorrow.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It is a true shame the senseless death here. Unfortunately education and cleaning up the substance abuse problems are about the only way to help solve this issue. I don't see either happening any time soon.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sometimes it seems as though being right in an argument, having the last word, etc..have more value than the life of someone else.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My brother-in-law was coming home from work last Friday night at about 8 pm.
As he neared his house, 3 guys stepped out of the shadows to stop him, he kept going, and was shot in the back.
t
THEY ALL FIRED ONLY ONE HIT HIM.
Entered his back, through his lung, out the chest!!!!
They wanted his "Motor".
HE CRASHED, THE "MOTOR" was wrecked, so they ran off!

Hard working guy with one wife, and 4 kids, ALL HIS!!!
He is in the hospital, gravely wounded.
I'm sure it is know in the "Barrio" who they were,(No Secrets In "El Barrio!)
but everyone is afraid to talk.

It, WILL, BE TAKEN CARE OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HE IS OUR "BINGO CALLER" EVERY WED NIGHT after OUT FAMILY DINNERS.
We want him BACK SOON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 6, 2006
By you?

The concept of a 300 plus pound 6 foot 7 inch "Punisher" is clearly a mighty one to behold!

It sounds like what they deserve, anyway. Shooting a guy in the back is pusillanimous behavior, not to mention shooting a guy on a moving bike with the goal of stealing the bike is beyond stupid. Was the imagined result that he would stop the bike, get off politely and turn it overt to them, so they could all ride away on it?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Where are all the God botherers when stories like this emerge. If there was an omnipotent bearded magician in sky who controls all this kind of stuff, why does he permit a kid to kill another kid for a piece of bread?

Come on bible bashers, please try and explain to me, a devout atheist, how this is God's will?

Apr 7, 2014
the underlying rationale for the violence is abject poverty. Most of these instances seem to stem from people having nothing and feeling that someone else, is shttting on them. Fighting over stuffed crust bread or some space at a street stall or your uncle hiding your shoes all are initiated by the aggressor feeling that the other party is disrespecting his existence. Notice how you would never hear of them fighting over plain old Pan Integral but they would fight(and die) for a luxury like stuffed bread? The bread was a luxury and oddly enough a 50% split between the two would have been amenable(and livable). But one person hoarding the bread or consuming more than half can drive someone to conclude they have been offended and socially violated hence the rage.

No one is going to fight over those blue cotton cheap shoes with the huge rubber toe they used to sell at Woolworth's but they will fight to the death for a pair of Air Jordans. Why? The sense of self-worth is tied to those shoes because they are a luxury in a place like this.

That sh*t with the motor bike is stupid because even if they got it they would fight over who should keep it.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Where are all the God botherers when stories like this emerge. If there was an omnipotent bearded magician in sky who controls all this kind of stuff, why does he permit a kid to kill another kid for a piece of bread?

Come on bible bashers, please try and explain to me, a devout atheist, how this is God's will?

The dead ones were not devout enough and are being punished by god, simple.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014

That's not just stupid, it's aggressively stupid.

Would you like to play the Cheap Shot game with me, swamp gas worshipper?

May 12, 2005

God is a macromanger, not a micromanager.