Advice on Inversores (AC/DC Converters)

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
This question pertains to inversores, the AC/DC converters.

Where I live, in the environs of Santo Domingo, I am paying RD
5000, monthly, for a three bedroom apartment. The near-dealbreaker is the fact that the electricity is continually either going off for a period of time or experiencing momentary current fluctuations.

The latter, momentary current fluctuations, is a worse problem that not having electricity for a few hours. There's nothing more frustrating than multi-tasking on your computer and it shutting down because of a less than one second fluctuation, and losing your work. Then starting up again, setting up again?only to lose everything again in a few minutes.

I believe it's high time for my first purchase of an inversor. I will first check Cuesta on El Conde. I have made many purchases there. There are few clients and the staff are helpful?the perfect place to buy from if you have a problem, rather than, say, Plaza Llama?a big boxstore with faceless customer service.

I need some opinions for a first time buyer of an inversor. Those of you with experience maybe can offer me some words of advice or ?Gotchas!? For example, if you were going to buy a inversor, second time around, would your purchase be different?

Best quality manufacturer? Do's and don'ts . . .

As far as capacity and cost are concerned, I'm probably less concerned about running time than I am protection against voltage drops.

I'm sure others will find this post useful if it turns into a nice thread . . .

Regards,

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have a quick suggestion. The inverter (inversor) is a good idea, but for the momentary fluctuations, you might try looking at Omega Tech to purchase a UPS unit. These units keep a computer functioning for a short time when the power goes off unexpectedly . You can shut down properly, or if the power returns quickly enough, you won't lose your work.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Get an Omega first.

The Team agree with La Profe - Get a Omega UPS . They will work on Street Power and if you buy an invertor on invertor power too. There is always a small interuption of power even with an invertor - usually less that 1 second. The UPS are much faster at less than 10 milliseconds and will keep you computer running. Be sure to size your UPS correctly. A 650 is ok for normal computer and monitor but if you have large screen monitors, and big capaciity tower configuration then go for the 1000. These also include some surge and spike protection which is usually what "Kills" electronics here.

Invertors are a whole different ball game.

Olly and the Team

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
The Team agree with La Profe - Get a Omega UPS . They will work on Street Power and if you buy an invertor on invertor power too. There is always a small interuption of power even with an invertor - usually less that 1 second. The UPS are much faster at less than 10 milliseconds and will keep you computer running. Be sure to size your UPS correctly. A 650 is ok for normal computer and monitor but if you have large screen monitors, and big capaciity tower configuration then go for the 1000. These also include some surge and spike protection which is usually what "Kills" electronics here.

Invertors are a whole different ball game.

Olly and the Team

Thanks Olly and La Profe 1 for that. What you mentioned that's critical is the response time of < 10 miliseconds on the Omega. I think I'll start with that, then look into an inverter as a contribution to my girlfriend's household--there are 7 of us.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Get an inverter with UPS function. they sell it in any good fereteria and you will solve your two problems. If you want a high quality product, which is not damaging your electric equipment invest in a sinus Inverter.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Get an inverter with UPS function. they sell it in any good fereteria and you will solve your two problems. If you want a high quality product, which is not damaging your electric equipment invest in a sinus Inverter.

Yes, I still want to buy an inverter in addition to a UPS for my computer (Omega Tech). I built my computer (HTPC; mini-itx) and it is very low power, so I should be able to protect that from fluctuations with the cheapest Omega UPS.

But your suggestion is even better. But I'd like to buy a high quality inverter, so I'm noting your suggestion that a sinous (isn't that the spelling)
inverter would be superior.

Any recommended manufacturers?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A Pure Sine Waver inverter. More expensive than the normal square wave inverters. I use square wave inverters and they have not damaged anything going on 12 years. The square wave inverter is my "UPS".

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
A Pure Sine Waver inverter. More expensive than the normal square wave inverters. I use square wave inverters and they have not damaged anything going on 12 years. The square wave inverter is my "UPS".

Duh! I should have googled before I opened my big mouth. Now I have. It turns out that I should buy a PURE sine wave AC inverter and NOT a MODIFIED sine wave inverter. I just watched a YouTube demonstration on the difference between the two using an LED bulb and a fan. The pure wave is smooth and the modified wave is "on/off." Under the modified wave equipment runs rough, hot, and at greater power. With the smooth wave, equipment runs smoothly, cooler, and on less power.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014

See my addition below. I'm wondering if the Omega UPS's are all modified wave . . . What is the best ferreteria for a selection of pure wave inverters?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Lucas - we have Omega UPS on all out computers, and a mobified Sine Wave invertor for the whole house. The Omega will cost you about RD$ 2000 ie $50 US. An "Invertor capable of running a whole house will cost you about RD$60,000 if you include 4 to 8 batteries.
Take the fisrt step by buying the Omega UPS to protect you work and equipments and then go on from there.

Olly and the Team

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Modified Wave is OK.

Can you elaborate on those differences?

First and foremost the price. :classic:

We have been using Trace 3624DR inverters for more than 16 years; they are sufficient for what we need.
If you really need a sine wave then the Outback brand would be a good choice.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
First and foremost the price. :classic:

We have been using Trace 3624DR inverters for more than 16 years; they are sufficient for what we need.
If you really need a sine wave then the Outback brand would be a good choice.

donP

I used the same inverter for many years. No longer made by Xantrex who purchased Trace. Now I use square wave inverters from Megatone/Inverluz. Same form/Fit/Function and features for about the same price for a new unit as replacing a Trace control board. Megatone/Inverluz also has Pure Sine inverters if yo are so inclined.