No such thread for years.......best DR beaches

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Amazed........no recent thread here on best DR beaches....and this place is blessed with good ones.

Having just visited Bahia de Las Aguilas today that goes top of my list:

1. Bahia de Las Aguilas
2. Playa La Valle
3. Playa Coson
4. Playa Rincon
5. Playa Macao
6. Playa La Entrada

I'm sure there will be much disagreement. Just to add I have been to most areas but not been west of Luperon nor been to Miches or Sabana al Mar so if there is a gem in those parts please let me know what I'm missing.

Last edited:

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
I know where a few of these are, but could you add location to your list? Great list though, since I am a beach bum at heart :) Oh, since you just visited Bahia de Aguilas, did you check out the beach stretches on Cabo Rojo also?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The best beaches in DR, only a few know about, and it should stay that way.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Amazed........no recent thread here on best DR beaches....and this place is blessed with good ones.

1. Bahia de Las Aguilas
2. Playa La Valle
3. Playa Coson
4. Playa Rincon
5. Playa Macao
6. Playa La Entrada

I'm sure there will be much disagreement. Just to add I have been to most areas but not been west of Luperon nor been to Miches or Sabana al Mar so if there is a gem in those parts please let me know what I'm missing.

1. Provincia Perdenales SW Coast.....turn off left 12km before Perdenales to Cabo Roja and on to Bahia de Las Aguillas
2. Provincia Samana.......leave Santa Barbara de Samana and head to Las Galleras.....after about 2km at the top of the hill you join another road and after about 500m there is a left turn to La Valle. Paved road ends at lake and water plant but you carry on to north coast of peninsula passing the zip line reception, ford the small river and onto the very scenic beach with a few small restaurants.
3. Provinicia Samana.........13km beach largely untouched.......you will find two entrances to the beach if you travel to Las Terrenas using the new toll road Boulevard Atlantico....first at the roundabout as you exit the hills but the better one is opposite the water plant signed to Coson beach and a good point to enter the beach is at the sign to Restaurant Luis.
4. Provincia Samana........left turn on newly paved road a about 5km before Las Galleras....worth a visit to the iguanas sanctuary en route .....free but you make a donation
5. East Coast Provincia La Altagracia.........head north on coast road from Bavaro
6. Between Nagua and Cabrera entering from the village of La Entrada on the route 5.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For those of you in Santo Domingo, I always recommend Playa Palenque, west of SD. It's a lovely beach, quiet and family oriented, much better class of Dominicans, with a sprinkling of Europeans who winter there. No loud music. Not a million people selling stuff. We like the far end of the beach, called Cocolandia [when you reach the beach, make a right turn. To the left is more congested, but there is a little fishing pier].

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Just went to Playa Grande for the first time. You sure can't beat the view to the east with the high trees and rocks.

But, to be honest with you, talking about the best beaches on an island is kinda like talking about the best lake in Minnesota.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Anyone been to Playa Blanco or Playa Monte Rio close to Azua? Guide book suggest PB is more picturesque.

Ideal stop off on drive back to capital tomorrow.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Always surprises me hoe people are so forward about what is best. Just about every beach in the country gets fovered in a thread like this which makes the thread utterly useless. Might as well name the thread 'Anyone know where there's a beach around here'. ,
..... Yes, there's one by LT which is beside the other one with the old ship, which is like that one beside San Ctistobal wigh the little fishing neg on the ground. One over there, one next to thst great pier and a purple beach with singing starfish juet up the road from my tunnel.

Best beach depends on what the person is looking for, if the ideal is not disclosed in the OP then at least give a brief description of what makes it the best, or it's just stupid pointless. Some of you have but most of you are just telling everyone there is a beach there, on an Island, which is...........

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
always forget the name about hour and half west of santi... terrible road to it...

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Anyone been to Playa Blanco or Playa Monte Rio close to Azua? Guide book suggest PB is more picturesque.

Ideal stop off on drive back to capital tomorrow.

I actually went to Play Monte Rio....personally I was not impressed with the beach, fair amount of trash, muddy sand...though the view was decent and there a couple of restaurants right on the beach.

JerryLowell

Apr 2, 2013

1. Bahia de Las Aguilas
2. Playa La Valle
3. Playa Coson
4. Playa Rincon
5. Playa Macao
6. Playa La Entrada

It is hard to say what the best beaches are as every one of them have different characteristics. But, I would say that if you want to be in one spot where there are many nice beaches nearby that Las Terrenas is a good spot to be.