Help with potential locations

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
Hello,

I am considering relocating to the DR with my family later this year. Wondering if anybody can suggest possible locations.

Here is the criteria...

- Not interested in living in a large city - could be a small town or a small city of up to 200,000 or so
- looking for a Caribbean beach type lifestyle
- Strong Internet is a must
- My daughter (13) would need to attend a private school - decent sized...she does not want to be in a class of 5 :)
- Will rent for a year - budget is around $2,000 USD per month for rent - has to be a house rather than an apartment (we have a dog)
- Needs to be a safe area - gated if possible but necessary

I am coming for a week in June so I hope to narrow down to 2-3 possible areas to explore living in before I come.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to reply...I appreciate it!

Russ

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Just because Pedro Clisante has putas doesn't make Sosua unsafe. ISS and Garden Kids Sosua are good schools. The greater question should be ?why the D.R.?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
PC village or Hispanola above Sosua. Both are nice, clean and safe. Caso DeCampo is also nice but I have no idea on schools in the area.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
Just because Pedro Clisante has putas doesn't make Sosua unsafe. ISS and Garden Kids Sosua are good schools. The greater question should be ?why the D.R.?

I am a writer...one of my clients promotes the DR and should I move there, there will be other writing opportunities that come as a result.

Having said that....there is a list of countries where the same arrangement is possible.

The DR is on my short list because we love the Caribbean lifestyle.

I don't want to read into your question but is it not a country you'd recommend?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
before you make another post here i suggest you read this thread ENTIRELY: http://dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

this is not only about the costs but also quality of living here. you must remember that caribbean lifestyle is somewhat a myth. DR is a third world country, or a developing one, if you prefer. a simple act of living here if full tiny problems. the basics: power,water, emergency services; all are lacking. you can provide your own power, buy your own water, pay your own medical insurance but all this comes at a cost.

depending on where you come from you may be deeply disappointed with the quality of education. depending on what your small pleasures/treats are, you may be shocked at the price of imported goods that cost little where you come from. DR is not for everyone.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
before you make another post here i suggest you read this thread ENTIRELY: http://dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

this is not only about the costs but also quality of living here. you must remember that caribbean lifestyle is somewhat a myth. DR is a third world country, or a developing one, if you prefer. a simple act of living here if full tiny problems. the basics: power,water, emergency services; all are lacking. you can provide your own power, buy your own water, pay your own medical insurance but all this comes at a cost.

depending on where you come from you may be deeply disappointed with the quality of education. depending on what your small pleasures/treats are, you may be shocked at the price of imported goods that cost little where you come from. DR is not for everyone.

I'll do that, thanks.

Just for the record...I am from Canada. We have lived in Mexico though so do not completely have rose-colored glasses on. I am not saying the DR and Mexico are one in the same, only that I have experienced directly some of the items you mention.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
What is a Caribbean lifestyle ?

Perhaps a bad choice of phrase.

I am looking for warmth and the beach. I prefer typical Caribbean settings (warm, blue water, white sand) versus typical Pacific settings.

I also imagine that in Caribbean countries life is a little slower.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Russ, as mentioned earlier things take some getting used to here. Having lived in Mexico you are used to some. Having a good income makes many things easier but then also makes one a target. Anything to do with Government, contractors, vendors, etc. can be made slow and difficult. Some locals look on the gringo as a cash register. It takes some getting used to and your idea of renting for a year is a good one.
Areas: PUnta Cana bores me too, it is a kingdom of AI resorts, not enough local life for me. North coast is my preference, I'd look at Cabrera, Samana and Cabarete/Sosua (for it's schools). Not easy or cheap to find good schools.
Speaking the language is almost a must as well.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
tempo depends on you and your attitude :)

I agree with this in theory but, for me at least, it's much easier to achieve in a warm, sunny clime.

I also neglected to mention it but part of the reason to come is simply adventure - to experience living in a different setting.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I agree with this in theory but, for me at least, it's much easier to achieve in a warm, sunny clime.

I also neglected to mention it but part of the reason to come is simply adventure - to experience living in a different setting.

Keep in mind that some things have changed and you need to read this so you are well informed should you decide to stay or leave http://dr1.com/forums/legal/149448-you-have-until-16th-june-get-legal-status.html

Here are http://dr1.com/forums/visas/149117-new-fees-overstaying-tourist-card.html