Batteries sweating and leakage

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I've got rechargeable AAs and over the past year, almost all of them have started to sweat, and at least corrode some of the charger contacts. Is it smarter to keep using rechargables and simply be prepared to buy a new charger every year, or switch back to Duracells/Energizers and call it a day? Will the high-end alkalines still sweat? I'd go lithium, but my really good flash can't handle lithium batteries (per manufacturer), so that's not an option.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've got dozens of rechargeable batteries of different brands and have never had any problems with them.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Don't buy the AA Duracells from PriceSmart! They leak! Even when they still have charge. I've lost count on how many remotes, kids toys, clocks and such have been ruined by them.

I actually called the helpline that was printed on the package. They told me that these batteries are not meant for tropical climates! What the hell are PriceSmart doing selling them then???!!!

I've recently switched to Panasonic Everloop rechargeables. A little pricey if you count the cost of shipping over here, but so far they seem to be worth the extra.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don't buy the AA Duracells from PriceSmart! They leak! Even when they still have charge. I've lost count on how many remotes, kids toys, clocks and such have been ruined by them.

Where were you yesterday, just came back from Pricesmart after buying a pack of AAA Duracells. Day late and a dollar short. :smoke: lol

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have a powerful torch light thingy, works off 4 AA batteries.

Bought some at lasirena, national, USA, europe....... all corrode in this pocket lamp ( but in nothing elses strangely.....).
Sort of give off a white powder......
So seems to be my lamp that has the problem......and not the batteries

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

I actually called the helpline that was printed on the package. They told me that these batteries are not meant for tropical climates! What the hell are PriceSmart doing selling them then???!!!

I've recently switched to Panasonic Everloop rechargeables. A little pricey if you count the cost of shipping over here, but so far they seem to be worth the extra.

Sanyo Eneloops (pre-charged) are what I brought with me that are sweating. The only charger I'm using is the one they came with (which may be a clue right there). I knew there was something about batteries sweating that I needed to be careful with; this all makes sense. I'll order some decent ones from Amazon, and a better 8-bay charger as well.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sanyo Eneloops (pre-charged) are what I brought with me that are sweating. The only charger I'm using is the one they came with (which may be a clue right there). I knew there was something about batteries sweating that I needed to be careful with; this all makes sense. I'll order some decent ones from Amazon, and a better 8-bay charger as well.

Eneloops! That's the one, not Everloops as I originally wrote! I have the 3rd gen ones which are now made my Panasonic. I also have a high end 8 bay charger which can do a soft charge and also condition them.

So far, so good.