Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Odd occurrence at PUJ while leaving for US

I travel back to the US every 6-8 weeks through PUJ. Typically when leaving I give the immigration agent my passport and residency card, they smile, stamp my passport and I'm on my way. This time, the immigration agent looked at my residency card like she'd never seen one before, called the manager over who then took my passport and card over to another booth. He then started typing a bunch of crap into the computer and then ultimately took a photocopy of my passport and residency card. He returned them to me and then I had to return to the original agent and she stamped my passport and was on my way.

Anyone else experience this? Not sure what's going on. I also noticed that each booth had notice posted in many languages indicating that they cannot accept the overstay tax at the booth.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Dad....

he has residency........ no overstay issue

3. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

what is the type of your residency and the validity date? i know a guy who entered DR with residency expiring within a month. at passport control they retained his residency card. he does not speak much spanish and he did not question this decision, just kept on smiling. so maybe this is now more thoroughly checked both on entry and upon departure?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My residency expires in November. I'm still at a loss why the extra scrutiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    My residency expires in November. I'm still at a loss why the extra scrutiny.
    It may be the frequency of your travel is raising a red flag.

7. Likes curlando liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me at SDQ a couple of weeks back, but they managed to explain why. Their new computer system didn't work!! The problem seemed to be with foreign residents only.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They just recently computerized all the airports and apparently the system is not yet up to par. Wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the glitches...

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    They just recently computerized all the airports and apparently the system is not yet up to par. Wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the glitches...
    Wow

Are you suggesting to us that the Immigration in this country is actually getting it's act together, albeit with a few glitches, in commissioning normal modern systems of immigration monitoring and control.

I had read on other threads that they are absolutely incapable of such things...........(excuse the sarcasm)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    what do you mean "recently"? i am sure i saw computers at airports before. were they unplugged?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    what do you mean "recently"? i am sure i saw computers at airports before. were they unplugged?
    I may be wrong but never saw them swipe the bar code on my passport previously at SDQ.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast