How do you keep a moto from rusting if it is parked outside near the beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
WD40 and a good cover. Avoid getting the WD40 on your rotors and pads.

Keep sprockets and chain well lubed.

Aug 6, 2006
Always wanted to live near the ocean until I did.

Some stabilizer (STA-BIL) in the gas tank might help. If gas sits too long in a carburetor, it can evaporate and all you are left with is a carb clogged with sticky gel.

An alternative would be to drain the tank entirely and run a bit of isopropyl alcohol through it. This will make overhauling the carb unnecessary.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Amen. Truer words were never spoken.

The only people who want to live near the ocean are the ones that haven't done it yet.

it has it's tricky things and moments, yes.
but they are all worth it.
just never buy any quality furnichure for your ocean front veranda, it will rott away the same as all the crappy cheapies from Ikea. the only furniche that stands to be 24/7 out on the ocean front is good ole hardplatic furnichure.
20 years of Beachlife and counting.
there are kinks, yes, but well worth to stand 'em.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as for the Bike,
wash the salt off every morning with sweet water before the first ride.
as others mentioned, WD40 is your best friend for all parts, just spare the discs of the brakes.

Mike

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm a huge fan of Hammerite paint. It goes on like treacle, sets like glass and has a very good rust inhibitor (zinc phosphate). The American equivalent is Rustoleum, but it's not as good.

I've recently discovered that Popular paints now make an "esmalte industrial" So I tried a tin. Smells like Hammerite, goes on like Hammerite and you have to throw the brush away afterwards like Hammerite. Time will tell if it's as good as Hammerite, but so far my Black & Decker workmate is holding out and still looks like new.

I live 500m from the beach!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Amen. Truer words were never spoken.

The only people who want to live near the ocean are the ones that haven't done it yet.

Or those that live aboard, or sailors, or bareboat captains, or even normal everyday people that make up the millions of people living on the Islands throughout the Caribbean.. Even Dominicans that are sometimes fortunate enough to get off of Santo Domingo love living by the ocean.

wkhkix.jpg

3466xkj.jpg

2gx0jzn.jpg

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
To the OP, Robert's thread is spot on when you add Mike Fischer's post about rinsing off daily with fresh water.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
On metal that I wish to protect from corrosion, I use the same CLP oil that I would use on a firearm. Cleans, lubricates and leaves a thin layer of protection.

Search Amazon for "Break-free CLP" for more info. Shop around for the best price as buying in quantity will be expensive shipping wise but a little goes a very long way and the product does not degrade over time. Better than spraying with water everyday as water promotes rush all by itself. Add sea salt and it's a recipe for constant on going maintenance.

When rust appears, scrape it off with steel wool or other abrasive down to bare clean metal, and apply a protective layer of oil. If the metal is painted, scrape the rust/paint away and repaint. Rust is insidious and if allowed to create divots on the surface of the metal, it will return faster and become more difficult to maintain over time.

CLP doesn't smoke so it can be used on parts that get hot and doesn't have a lasting smell and wipes pretty clean leaving only the thinnest layer of oil on the surface so large amounts of dust and dirt don't adhere.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Always wanted to live near the ocean until I did.

Here is the latest "SALT ATTACK" ,..
I installed singles on part of the roof as decoration on top of regular roofing, now here in the DR they nail them with galvanised wide head nails... during this wet winter I came to realise that all these nails were rusted away leaving a nice hole pattern in my roof.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm a huge fan of Hammerite paint. It goes on like treacle, sets like glass and has a very good rust inhibitor (zinc phosphate). The American equivalent is Rustoleum, but it's not as good.

I've recently discovered that Popular paints now make an "esmalte industrial" So I tried a tin. Smells like Hammerite, goes on like Hammerite and you have to throw the brush away afterwards like Hammerite. Time will tell if it's as good as Hammerite, but so far my Black & Decker workmate is holding out and still looks like new.

I live 500m from the beach!

We're close to the beach here too - we used the "esmalte industrial" on all our ironwork as soon as it was installed. It's been several years - at least 5 - and it's holding up very well. The only place we could find it was Pappaterra - hopefully more readily available these days.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have used a stainless polish in an aresol can. It leaves a light film and is not as harsh as WD40 which is basically diesel fuel.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I have used a stainless polish in an aresol can. It leaves a light film and is not as harsh as WD40 which is basically diesel fuel.

i went to a motocycle swap meet and this old guy was selling ploish...i was skeptical sure enough ...:classic::classic::classic::classic::classic: diesel....but good polish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you.

How do you keep a moto from rusting if it is parked outside near the beach?

You move away from the beach. Rust never sleeps: ..

[video=youtube;e0YFJvWmoes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0YFJvWmoes[/video]

donP

Dec 14, 2008
WD40's Reputation Is Overrated.

Your other stuff is probably much better than WD40.
WD40 evaporates quickly and does not leave much of a protective film and rather just the dirt that it accumulated when still "wet". :mad:
Whenever possible, I use German gun oil ("Ballistol") or at least a higher viscosity oil.

I still have a gallon of some greenish airplane conservation liquid; bad smell but great stuff...

donP

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
summing up all, under the line, by 20 years living right on a beach myself:
don't try to live there if you can't afford to replace those many things many times more often than you would replace them in a normal home away from a beach.
sand and salt come with a significant ectra price, on top of the anyways higher rental/purchase costs on a beach.
it goes for your vehicles and specially for any electric equipment used in and around the house, like washing machines, your TV's, Music Equipment, your PlayConsoles, Microwaves, the stove and oven, ceiling ventilators etc etc etc, everything.
but again, if it fits the budget, WELL WORTH to spend on it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.