speed reduction measurements on the malecon in POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the city is installing speed reducing inserts on the malecon. not sure what they would be called in english, small, individual yellow "plugs" that are supposed to slow down traffic.
Instalan reductores de velocidad en el malec?n - Noticias POP

i've seen those installed before. in few months there will be nothing left of them. they don't seem to work well either from what i observed. but hey, someone pocketed the money on this deal.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Punta Cana is full of those. Yipetas and buses just roll over them without slowing down while those of us that have small cars have to slow down and risk getting our bumpers kissed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's what i mean. those yellow plugs were installed in front of zona franca in POP. any jeep goes over those thingies like they were not there. locals, in any kind of vehicle, really, pass at regular speed. the only people who ever slow down are visitors, usually at the last moment, or very low cars, taking those bumps virtually sideways or swerving towards the area where some bumps are missing or nearly at road level. it only creates unnecessary chaos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
policia acostada, they call it. i really don't know what could be done. malecon is one of the main roads and people drive there fast. there are no traffic lights, nothing to slow you down. then on the weekends there are way too many cars, people park and stop on the ocean side, there are way too many drunks and pedestrians cross back and forth like mindless cows. maybe simply constant punishing of those who break the law could be of benefit.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The type mentioned are termed speed cushions rather than speed bumps commonly referred to as sleeping policemen. As mentioned they do not last long unless they are the metal type as one gets at the 'peajes'.

A 'traffic calming' option.

Personally I prefer if they change the road surface or introduce road narrowing or the wider speed platforms...............a wide sleeping policeman.....basically a ramp up, flat section and hen ramp down.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
the problem with the malecon is that is also the main artery for large trucks since it avoids "blue hill" by the public hospital. i think the "owners" would complain fiercely if anything were done to slow their revenue gathering!

also tourist buses & tours use it & a bus full of drunk tourists being bounced about would probably lead to many technicolour yawns ;-)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
unnecessary chaos is very Dominican. If you can throw some drama in with the chaos all the better.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i passed the malecon today. there are 4 rows of those speed humbspumpsplugs. all located between big lee and la sirena. first and last are passable but be warned that the two middle ones are very high. people stop suddenly in order to pass so beware of other drivers bumping your ass. motos have major problem and swerve nearly sideways to try passing between the plugs.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
These ones are nasty!

The motoconchistos are working on their technique to weave between them.
Fun to watch,

but not to ride,

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
IF they are reflective they will soon be stolen and used for decorations in various homes.

Bob K

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those middle bumps are kind of on the large side! Me I would have hired three new cops. One to man the radar gun, one to write speeding tickets non-stop and the third to chase down and shoot dead those who failed to wait in turn for cop #2 to get to them.

At $200 RD a pop (or your vehicle), Puerto Plata could be rebuilt in two years with a botanical garden and a pool in every yard.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the heavy trucks will pin those things deeper into asphalt, eventually.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They have these bumpy groupings around the south coast, usually before and after schools, and now they're before a lot of the peajes/toll booths. Cars and motos slow down, the big trucks pretty much still just plow over them. Some of them have been there for years, not smashed into the pavement, not broken and not stolen.

I actually prefer them to the speed bumps, especially the ones that the paint has worn off of - and you don't see them until you're on top of them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two lines of those plugs were put close to UASD in POP last year, nearly destroyed now. we shall see the fate of those on the malecon.