canadian man dies in POP

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
These things are dangerous. I tried all over town to find wasp spray such as is commonly sold in US. Never found it. Wasps are a common hazard in the DR. We deal with them in the garden on a regular basis. Now we import the spray. There is a reason the sprays are designed to carry for 20 to 30 feet. Dominicans throw diesel fuel on them. There is a lesson here. Condolences to the family.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have seen many Dominicans dealing with wasps by spraying continuously with Bygon and at the same time lighting a piece of newspaper and lighting the spray. Very impressive and makes a fireball out of the whole nest.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
once miesposo wanted to get coconuts off the tree in our garden by poking them with a stick. sure thing he disturbed a wasp nest. i was stung in one eyelid and in a nostril. it was a bit painful but not the end of the world. we occasionally get wasps in the house. we don't bother them, they don't bother us. no big deal.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We buy a local product that kills them dead on contact, but only sprays about six feet. I hired a Haitians to get rid of them off the school. Rag soaked in diesel on the end of a long pole. Dirty but works. We leave them alone unless they start getting kids or disturbing classes.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
First, RIP, to the canadian man.

Then, I actually find wasps much less agressive here in the dr, than back in my home in France. They dont look the same either.....
I try and get the nests in the beginning phases, ie when only a couple of wasps are flying around. I just whack the nest, if outside, snip the thing that it hangs on if inside......
Today, I actually found the motivation to see to a big one in a kiosk in my conuco ( a sobrina is visiting " arghh, wasps !! Faint....).
Raid, flying insects did the trick just fine. Sprayed, waited, dozens of unecessary deaths.......

I have never been stung by a wasp in the dr...... bees, yes lots of times ( usally walking on them bare footed, so I can hardly blame them.....).

All, in all, a sad way for that man to go......