Best "campo" in dr

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
I know there are numerous DR1 members living in various "campo" locations throughout the country. I would like to know where you think the best campos are located and why? I know this is a subjective question, but I would love to hear the different experiences/perspectives.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
@donP..jaja...Campo in my mind = not city, tourist town, or big pueblo location (i.e. Santiago, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Jarabacoa, Nagua, etc)....I'm thinking more "off the grid" locations....like Manabao (just an example)...or places you would have to look hard on the map to find :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Country Life

...Campo in my mind (...) you would have to look hard on the map to find :)

:laugh: Yes, that's a good definition...

However, a place can be small but its proximity to a good infrastructure can make it a pleasant one.
We prefer a rural life with less pollution, noise and crime; but yes, it would have to be not too far from 'civilisation'. :classic:
Trying to have both, I guess.

donP

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The best campo would be YOUR campo......

Less people, the better.
But, electricity and water are a plus (not always the case ), so is bin collectio .
Then build ure place to ure convinience.

I like the campo (and mine ), less people, less crime, less hassle. Cheaper food and lifestyle. Nicer people.....
But I think u will find most dr1 campo inhabitants will have a family tie with their campo......hence makes life easier.....

I would be hard pressed to go out and choose a campo to live in...... but I do like that strech between GH and Nagua.......

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
:laugh: Yes, that's a good definition...

However, a place can be small but its proximity to a good infrastructure can make it a pleasant one.
We prefer a rural life with less pollution, noise and crime; but yes, it would have to be not too far from 'civilisation'. :classic:
Trying to have both, I guess.

donP

Cool...So where is your Campo if I may ask? Or is it a top secret location? :)

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
The best campo would be YOUR campo......

Less people, the better.
But, electricity and water are a plus (not always the case ), so is bin collectio .
Then build ure place to ure convinience.

I like the campo (and mine ), less people, less crime, less hassle. Cheaper food and lifestyle. Nicer people.....
But I think u will find most dr1 campo inhabitants will have a family tie with their campo......hence makes life easier.....

I would be hard pressed to go out and choose a campo to live in...... but I do like that strech between GH and Nagua.......[/QUOTED

Do you live on that stretch?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I had a place in the campo for several years with a past 'esposa'. It was on the border between San Cristobel and Monsenor Nouel Provinces close to Autopista Duarte. The local barrio was called El Puerto but you won't find it on any map. That sort of area and into Monsenol Nouel is very scenic and there are some nice possibilities especially near the rios and into the mountains. The villages along the autopista corridor have been built by the farmers who have migrated from farming the valley behind those hills that are on your right as you drive north from Villa Altagracia towards Santiago and believe me from personal experience of trekking the area the only access into that valley is by mule and when you hit the top of those hills you can look for miles and will not see a road or a power cable anywhere.....but the land has been farmed extensively and there are traditionally built houses dotted everywhere. They say there is gold up there......and it is not far from the Maimon and Pueblo Viejo mines.

I won't go back there, and my new campo interest is in Monte Plata Province beyond Sabana de Grand Boya towards Cevicos. The road was being surfaced when I was there a couple of months back and expect to visit there again in next few weeks. Lovely rolling hills, forests and the odd river. Very rural.

The final area I would mention is in Azua Province in the area of Padre Las Casas. The backdrop is spectacular with the Cordillera Central towering above and river valleys albeit dry most of the time criss-crossing the area.

This country never ceases to amaze me as I travel around it........still so much more to see.........great country.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
No sadly not...... just thought it might have been where I would have chosen..... if I had had the choice....:laugh:

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
I had a place in the campo for several years with a past 'esposa'. It was on the border between San Cristobel and Monsenor Nouel Provinces close to Autopista Duarte. The local barrio was called El Puerto but you won't find it on any map. That sort of area and into Monsenol Nouel is very scenic and there are some nice possibilities especially near the rios and into the mountains. The villages along the autopista corridor have been built by the farmers who have migrated from farming the valley behind those hills that are on your right as you drive north from Villa Altagracia towards Santiago and believe me from personal experience of trekking the area the only access into that valley is by mule and when you hit the top of those hills you can look for miles and will not see a road or a power cable anywhere.....but the land has been farmed extensively and there are traditionally built houses dotted everywhere. They say there is gold up there......and it is not far from the Maimon and Pueblo Viejo mines.

I won't go back there, and my new campo interest is in Monte Plata Province beyond Sabana de Grand Boya towards Cevicos. The road was being surfaced when I was there a couple of months back and expect to visit there again in next few weeks. Lovely rolling hills, forests and the odd river. Very rural.

The final area I would mention is in Azua Province in the area of Padre Las Casas. The backdrop is spectacular with the Cordillera Central towering above and river valleys albeit dry most of the time criss-crossing the area.

This country never ceases to amaze me as I travel around it........still so much more to see.........great country.

Good info...I have traveled to Bayaguana in Monte Plata Province...seemed like a decent sized town and surrounding campo. I traveled there on the new highway from Santo Domingo. Next time will take the backroad through Cotui from Santiago. I have heard great things on the scenery of Padre Las Casas. I need to make sure to take a detour to see it the next time I venture up up to San Juan and Las Matas de Farfan. I agree the natural diversity of the island is great.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are beautiful "campos" all over DR. We've owned our place since the 1980s.

Now that we've reached retirement age, a different set of things worry me - first and foremost is the time and distance to a good, modern hospital in Santo Domingo in case of an emergency. If we ever have a heart attack or stroke here, we're goners. Not something we considered when we were in our 20s-30s.

It is pretty though :)

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
There are beautiful "campos" all over DR. We've owned our place since the 1980s.

Now that we've reached retirement age, a different set of things worry me - first and foremost is the time and distance to a good, modern hospital in Santo Domingo in case of an emergency. If we ever have a heart attack or stroke here, we're goners. Not something we considered when we were in our 20s-30s.

It is pretty though :)

Those are very valid concerns....I worry about my Mom and her Campo living in Panama...now that she is getting more "seasoned" :) BTW...donde esta tu campo?

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
cibao

Moncion with the new dam, Jicome with the waterfall , or San Jose de las Matas and the pine trees