Having a dog in Gazcue

Bielsa Widow

Mar 7, 2015
I've been living in Gazcue for a couple of months now and am finally bringing my dog in. Does anyone know how dog friendly the area is, if there are any good parks to take her to or any other dog related tips you can think of? Thanks.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My dog likes it. And everyone seems to like him. But he is a small adorable, what is not to like sorta dog.

Best carry a bag to pick up after her even though it is not the local custom.. since there are some beautiful patches of garden where the dogs always PREFER to go.

If you get out early, before 8, onto the Malecon, there are lots of folks walking their dogs but there are really no "dog parks" as such where dogs can go off leash. My building has a big parking area and there are two other dogs who come out and wait at the door for SuChang to come out and at least walk in the parking area with them. Also I play soccer there with him... he is very good... really excellent.. in training for the World Canine Cup.

Be a bit careful with the local street dogs, most are friendly and most actually HAVE a person who will intercede for you if there is a pack of them.

It seems that most of the Dominicans around me have small dogs and never actually let them out of the apartments. No comment. So you are going to have make an effort to have "play dates" or such to meet up with other dogs and socialize, if that is important to you.

There is a very good vet, 2nd generation, on Rosa Duarte, ASM Veternaria, 809 688 9363, who will keep the shots and stuff up to date. Make sure that you have flea and tick protection because sometimes the infestations can get abundant.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
"What this country needs is more motorcycles, dogs and Haitians!"

Said no one ever.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You forgot to include,..."DOMINICANS"""!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine THAT Paradise????????????????????

We could change the name to "GRINGOLANDIA"!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Other Source of Meat

I've been living in Gazcue for a couple of months now and am finally bringing my dog in. Does anyone know how dog friendly the area is,...

Well, I do not know about Gazcue.
But this is what happened in Las Terrenas recently:
http://dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/150007-dogs-neighbours-gated-community.html

I'd say if you see a lot of dogs near where you live, at least people there have enough money to buy other type of meat... :laugh:

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My dog likes it. And everyone seems to like him. But he is a small adorable, what is not to like sorta dog.

Best carry a bag to pick up after her even though it is not the local custom.. since there are some beautiful patches of garden where the dogs always PREFER to go.

If you get out early, before 8, onto the Malecon, there are lots of folks walking their dogs but there are really no "dog parks" as such where dogs can go off leash. My building has a big parking area and there are two other dogs who come out and wait at the door for SuChang to come out and at least walk in the parking area with them. Also I play soccer there with him... he is very good... really excellent.. in training for the World Canine Cup.

Be a bit careful with the local street dogs, most are friendly and most actually HAVE a person who will intercede for you if there is a pack of them.

It seems that most of the Dominicans around me have small dogs and never actually let them out of the apartments. No comment. So you are going to have make an effort to have "play dates" or such to meet up with other dogs and socialize, if that is important to you.

There is a very good vet, 2nd generation, on Rosa Duarte, ASM Veternaria, 809 688 9363, who will keep the shots and stuff up to date. Make sure that you have flea and tick protection because sometimes the infestations can get abundant.

You should also be giving your dog heartworm pills on a monthly basis. This is spread by mosquitos and can be deadly to dogs.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Ivermectin is a much cheaper solution for Heartworm, fleas/ticks for those with large dogs. At over about 80 lbs, the cost of the Heartworm meds in chewable chunks costs more than the dog did every six months.

Some dogs are are genetically intolerant of Ivermectin. See your vet for the first dose then each monthly dose can be easily administered at home by adding to food. $300 RD will easily treat a couple of large dogs for an entire year. Smaller breeds for much longer than that.