Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default truth and culture

Hello.
    Perhaps it was because I have been a tourist. Having spent some time in a couple of Central American countries, I find that one thing that is common to both, as well as folk from neighboring lands, is a complete disregard for the truth. Not to be insensitive, but I am beginning to wonder if lying is less stigmatized in Latin American cultures.

Thoughts...

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by explorer1 View Post
    Hello.
    Perhaps it was because I have been a tourist. Having spent some time in a couple of Central American countries, I find that one thing that is common to both, as well as folk from neighboring lands, is a complete disregard for the truth. Not to be insensitive, but I am beginning to wonder if lying is less stigmatized in Latin American cultures.

Thoughts...
    Perhaps as a result of disregard for others and rules....which is clearly part of the mindset here.

3. Likes explorer1 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The truth appears to be subjective based on perspective. Often, "I don't know" is considered more of a shortcoming than providing a twisted tale full of erroneous details.

One gets pretty good at noticing the twitches in the corner of their people's mouths, rolling eyes, inappropriate pauses in speech just before an important detail. Often asking the same question again a few minutes later will elicit a response that differs from the previous statements.

I can sort of understand when you ask someone, "are you the one who installed that window upside down?" I cannot understand the lie when you ask, "is that your car?"

5. Likes RGLRM liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not really lying. It's sort of aspirational truth.

7. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the laugh of the day Fish...cafe con baileys all over the place... Thx.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"The truth? You can't handle the truth!!..." Yes, I had to go there :-) They say everyone lies...just a matter of which lies you prefer hearing....or fit your reality.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

truth is not valued here. it is seen as meaningless and irrelevant.

also, see this closed thread:
    http://dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/...cceptable.html

and this, from 2007:
    http://dr1.com/forums/living/66058-w...icans-lie.html

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I' ve gotten use to the lies...... OK.
    What I still dont understand is why people lie even when they KNOW the truth is going to come out ( or is already out......).
    That gets to me......
    I' ve deducted they are lying more to themselves than anything.........

And try explaining to them that its blasphemy to lie and then finish off with " si džos quiere "....... in one ear, out the other......

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask this to the politicians. They should know. At least we can be sure they would lie about the answer.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Mexico for three years and have spent quite a bit of time in the DR. My observations are that Americans, Mexicans and Dominicans all lie on occasion, but that Americans are the best liars, and often make the lie depend on things that cannot be proven. Mexicans are more creative, and Dominicans, on average, are good at inventing lies and convincing themselves to believe then, that are clearly identifiable as lies to anyone with a knowledge of facts or rudimentary arithmetical skills.

Of course, lying always is a personal skill, and generalities are only generalities.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast